The N&G Listening Club V1 - Archive only

Really like this although I feel the songwriting/lyrics are a tad weak. The guitar and keys are fantastic as well as the overall song craft. I am particularly impressed at the sheer degree of influence both forward and backward.

Some names that rise to mind while listening (alternating influenced and influencing):
Otis Redding
Black Crowes
Jimmy Hendrix
Ben Harper
Jim Croce
Darius Rucker (specifically H&TB).

I appreciate the Conan clip of Paul Pena. I can hear some of where Ben Harper was influenced now. Musicianship is top notch. I have a feeling this album will be a creeper...the first time I listened to it was ok this is good...second time better...it started to catch on more...third time even better yet. Thanks Uncle D! I knew you would come through. The River is an awesome song as is Gonna Make It All Right (also references the River). This seriously needs a repress. Probably my favorite listening club listen since we restarted...although Dr. John has gotten a lot of plays too (my kids really like the Dr. John because of all the crazy noises that are made).

I appreciate the Conan clip of Paul Pena. I can hear some of where Ben Harper was influenced now. Musicianship is top notch. I have a feeling this album will be a creeper...the first time I listened to it was ok this is good...second time better...it started to catch on more...third time even better yet. Thanks Uncle D! I knew you would come through. The River is an awesome song as is Gonna Make It All Right (also references the River). This seriously needs a repress. Probably my favorite listening club listen since we restarted...although Dr. John has gotten a lot of plays too (my kids really like the Dr. John because of all the crazy noises that are made).

The River reminds me of Van Morrison... Especially "And It Stoned Me"

I’m really digging this Paul Pena, it’s like Van Morrison decoded he wanted to make a Southern Rock album. It makes me very happy. This and Dr. John are the cream of the crop for me. I need to go back and check out the last few pics.

Paul Pena and Dr. John are my favorites on the new forum so far. I could probably listen to these two for the rest of my life and never get tired of them. None of the other albums have grabbed me, especially as a whole.

Pena joins Wax Tailor in my list of albums I wished I had on vinyl but they're both pretty expensive.

I just want to say again how much I love this Paul Pena, there's nothing I don't like about it. Great classic style cover, fun songs that play well loud, variety of music, old dusky voice. Kinda fits in that place with Rodriguez to Purple Image to me. Damn, I want this Paul Pena and the Purple Image on vinyl!

So happy with so much of the music I've been turned on to in the last year from this group.

Listened to Paul Pena a few times recently.

I love Isaac Hayes's The Isaac Hayes Movement, Mac Davis's I Believe In Music, and Jimi Hendrix, but never would have thought there would be a distinct crossroad combining their individual rock, soul, and funk with gospel and country.

This album did exactly that for me.
Thank you!

Welcome to Monday, friends.

Typically, it’s the start of the working week for many of us and it can be hard to find the motivation to rise to the challenges of employment or chores around the house. Here, in this thread, it is also the chance for you to discover something treasured by others that you may not have heard or perhaps to re-visit something long since forgotten. This week it is my turn to serve up the slice of fried gold and I think that it is something that you’re going to enjoy.

Today, I’ve set myself the task of blowing away your post-weekend cobwebs, to get you primed for the week ahead. No easy feat but I think may have found you a prescription for your Mondayitis.

I wanted to bring to your attention something local to me (Australia) that you probably haven’t come across before. This week you’re getting an audible jab of high energy good times. An aural hypodermic that's filled to the brim with mirth and whimsy (You can never have too much whimsy) and songwriting that’s catchy as fuck. Now....look away. Small sting.

Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present to you, Ball Park Music and their album Happiness and Surrounding Suburbs

MI0003405684.jpg

Ball Park Music are a 5 piece (were 6 members at the time this was released) from Brisbane, Australia. This is their debut LP and each proceeding release has gone to making them one of my most favourited acts of the last 10 years. When this came out in 2011 it was infectious as Indy Rock/Pop got and still remains so to this day. Its release garnered a lot of critical praise and over the years they have proved themselves to be a formidable live act too, capable of slaying headline and festival crowds alike, which has helped to cement their footing as a band that has become much loved by many an Aussie. And now they can be loved by you too.

Vinyl offerings of this can be hard to track down as they have only released them locally (Discogs hasn't much of any sale) but the last two times they've released a new album they've pressed their whole LP catalogue. I think a new album is due next year so if you're up for a bundle I'm sure they'll be on offer.

I've brought you to the entrance of the rabbit hole and if you feel like this is your thing and want to dig down a little further then try a little experiment with me, yes?. Tomorrow, start your day off right with their next album, Museum and on Wednesday you can give Puddinghead a taste. Thursday you can wake up to Every Night the Same Dream and by Friday you'll be in a Good Mood and ready for the weekend.

Happy, healthy citizens of the developed world, please enjoy, BPM.

Last edited:
Back