Let's See What Makes Your Vinyl Spin!

Man, you want nostalgia just go buy a vintage LP12 for like $1200!
Obviously, I’ve not been seduced by the reputed ethereal qualities of the Linn decks. For $60K, there are a number of more impressive competitors. But then again, I’d likely not pay $60K for any turntable unless it was a “Brewster’s Millions” scenario.

Additional information on this table. It has design tweaks courtesy of one of the original Apple designers Jony Ive.

And what do you actually get on your new and improved $60,000 LP 12 table?

"On the whole, not much about the much-beloved turntable has changed – its appearance has largely stayed the same with the exception of slightly rounded corners and an aluminum power button took the place of the plastic rocker. Aside from an additional change of the hinge which more easily keeps the dust cover open at any angle, Ive didn’t change much else, owing to the fear that it would affect the sound quality."

SOUNDS LIKE A STEAL
If (and I grant you, it's an 'if' that can be seen from space), these are the only LP12s that ever have these features on them (and curving the edges of the armboard which is now integral with the subchassis would be the single largest production mod Linn has ever done because it would be the first time that a mod could not be retrospectively applied to an older LP12 so there is a pretty solid chance they aren't going to), these are going to be sufficiently rare that I don't think that they'll lose money because there will always be someone that wants the 'ultimate' LP12. Ten years ago, Linn made the Highland Park limited edition model that was less extensively changed than this one is (although, I do think it might be the best looking official plinth Linn has ever done). The 40 they made sold instantly and when one appeared used in 2018 or so, the dealer got £30k for it. Linn people are... different.

Question for the group. Has anyone here taken a flyer on one of these tonearm lifters that are found on Ebay? I have a hard time spending well over $100 for any of the nicer tonearm lifters that look like this one, and the Q Up just looks way too cheap and would look out of place on my Debut carbon. I'm almost always an active listener, but at the same time there's plenty of times I'd love to just be able to step away and not have to worry about my stylus sitting in the dead wax.

Question for the group. Has anyone here taken a flyer on one of these tonearm lifters that are found on Ebay? I have a hard time spending well over $100 for any of the nicer tonearm lifters that look like this one, and the Q Up just looks way too cheap and would look out of place on my Debut carbon. I'm almost always an active listener, but at the same time there's plenty of times I'd love to just be able to step away and not have to worry about my stylus sitting in the dead wax.

If you get this, I'd love a report on how well it works. I've thought about getting one several times.

Feels like a buy-once-cry-once situation. The Audio Technica version is $109 on Amazon, made in Japan, and built like a tank.

imo you get one of these knock-offs and it randomly fails and needs to be replaced, then you might as well have purchased a proper one.

Feels like a buy-once-cry-once situation. The Audio Technica version is $109 on Amazon, made in Japan, and built like a tank.

imo you get one of these knock-offs and it randomly fails and needs to be replaced, then you might as well have purchased a proper one.
The EBAY one can be had for $38, but you're probably correct. Didn't realize the AT one had dropped that much. It was $130 when I added it to my wish list. Glad to know it's built so well though. Thanks.

Edit: after watching a youtube video on the AT and EBAY ones, the AT is 100% the bullet to bite.

Last edited:
The EBAY one can be had for $38, but you're probably correct. Didn't realize the AT one had dropped that much. It was $130 when I added it to my wish list. Glad to know it's built so well though. Thanks.

Edit: after watching a youtube video on the AT and EBAY ones, the AT is 100% the bullet to bite.
I think you'll be pleased. I've had mine for 2.5 years now and have had no problems with it at all.

edit: make sure you have space on your turntable to actually install it!

Last edited:
I haven’t added any new gear in ages, but I finally decided to give a little love to my power section with a Wireworld spaceport. Pretty happy with it so far. This isn’t a mind blowing difference, but a nice incremental step, particularly in lower mids and a little bit of air on the top end.

I think chasing the dragon with power cables is probably in my future.

I think chasing the dragon with power cables is probably in my future.
I’m a deep skeptic when it comes to upgraded power cords. I can see from the physics how some interconnects might produce audible differences, but I just can’t get there with power cords. To me, fancy power cords get grouped with cord “lifters” in the audiophile tweaks bin.

I’m a deep skeptic when it comes to upgraded power cords. I can see from the physics how some interconnects might produce audible differences, but I just can’t get there with power cords. To me, fancy power cords get grouped with cord “lifters” in the audiophile tweaks bin.
I didn't believe it either, until I swapped
between my stock cables and my good ones. I don't really get it. But it made a clearly audible difference.

I didn't believe it either, until I swapped
between my stock cables and my good ones. I don't really get it. But it made a clearly audible difference.
I don’t want to get into a tit-for-tat on this topic, but I do know that what we see can influence what we hear.

My inner engineer gets its Spidey Sense tingled when I read (or experience) audio differences that are not based in a solid engineering concept. ‘Nuff said.

I don’t want to get into a tit-for-tat on this topic, but I do know that what we see can influence what we hear.

My inner engineer gets its Spidey Sense tingled when I read (or experience) audio differences that are not based in a solid engineering concept. ‘Nuff said.
I get it, I'm just saying, try it. Then see.

What's your take on power conditioners/distributors?

Like @Mather says, give it a serious try. To me, it’s a question of balance and there is no sense in having quality components connected with a lesser quality cord. There are different price levels for a reason and you get what you pay for on balance. But you know that already. 😁

What's your take on power conditioners/distributors?
Most power conditioners, from what I’ve seen in bench performance testing, make no demonstrable improvement to the output of audio components. It turns out that most power supplies do a pretty good job of filtering and rectifying AC to DC on their own. Getting rid of 60 Hz ripple is a problem the power supply has to handle on its own; upstream conditioning cannot help.

I have seen evidence that some can provide protection from voltage and current surges. I do own a SurgeX for that reason.

Back