Let's See What Makes Your Vinyl Spin!

Installed a new slab of wood beneath my Garrard. Searched long and hard for a place that offered the size I needed (20" x 26") at a reasonable price and found Rockler. They're having a holiday sale, looks like code v254887 is good for 20% off and I think shipping is free (it was for my order). The one I got is maple and definitely a nice product. It's available in a few different sizes, but I have no idea what other options/prices might be available. (Oh yeah, still rocking the nice foot rests @HiFi Guy sent me.)

EDIT: Forgot to mention I put Herbie's Audio Lab Extra-thick Grungebuster Dots (2") under the slab......it was either that or a partially inflated bicycle tire!

NewWood.jpg

Last edited:
This popped up on me socials. If I had a dedicated room to allow this kind of build, I’d 💯 do this.

View attachment 190092
I mean, if your speakers fit in the shelves, why not put them at the right height? Actually, looking at them again, maybe that middle shelf isn’t big enough, but why not have it built to the big enough?

There were many comments about those speakers but I like to focus on the bigger picture.
It’s nice but I have lots of questions… like the drawers? Why not have them built to face front. In that configuration it just seems like a hassle. Is that a preamp under the table? If so, are those powered speakers?

If I had the kind of money to do that, I’d do it right. lol.

But it is a nice clean space:

It’s nice but I have lots of questions… like the drawers? Why not have them built to face front. In that configuration it just seems like a hassle. Is that a preamp under the table? If so, are those powered speakers?

I'm thinking like this each drawer holds more albums. Assuming they only had a given depth to work with, it would look like 13-14", side ways you have the entire width of the drawer to work with. Each drawer definitely looks wider that that. But hey, not my monkeys, not my circus ;)

A couple of possibilities re: the drawers. First, they may be wide enough that the records could face front, with two rows. Second, given that only one drawer would be pulled out at a time, you could stand beside that drawer and have a front-on view of the records as they're stored in the photo. I mean that's the point of the drawers, right? Instead of having to look only at the spines (as with the shelf), you can pull out the drawer and flip through the records.

So far so good. It replaced an Aric Audio tube preamp, which was awesome, but it didn't have a remote.

Aric's stuff is all point to point wired and tube rectified, so that preamp brought more tubey space depth and some euphonics to the mix than the Freya does.

The Freya brings me a remote, but also WAY more soundstage width than I've ever had down here. Been streaming Nicholas Jaar's Space Is Only Noise album @Mather brought up in the Definitive Pressings thread, and the uncanny valley realness of it's production has me a little jumpy, tbh.

Now that you have me analyzing it, I'm noticing it also more specifically places instruments in the soundstage. With the Aric, the tom drum would be off to the left or whatever. With the Freya its 3 feet left of center, 5 feet off the ground, occupying a 1 foot circle of space.

So yeah, it's pretty great!

How are you finding the Freya? Still liking it?

Quick question. How hot does it get on top? Could you conceivably stack a small DAC on the left side away from the tubes or does it get too hot?

Brain is whirring. May end up with this or the kara sooner than planned…

Last edited:
Well damn you all 😂

I may need a new preamplifier soon, mine is still intermittently acting up but I’ll run it as long as it keeps resetting, and all this Luxman talk had me googling and now I must have one of these…

Well damn you all 😂

I may need a new preamplifier soon, mine is still intermittently acting up but I’ll run it as long as it keeps resetting, and all this Luxman talk had me googling and now I must have one of these…

............remember the sign at the door ;)
Untitled-1.jpg

Back