Jazz in the 1980's Thread

bornard

A strange period...generally.
The MTV Era began...The emergence of the CD and the dying breath of vinyl....Music was in a very transitory place and many of the old guard musicians were heading to retirement age...but still able to swing, jam and cook with the best of them

But, there was some really interesting scenes happening - Rebirth of Blue Note, Contemporary still putting out records....Japan as a huge market for recording and performance, plus lots of interesting Indies...

So let's hear about your Theresa's, Nilva's, Beehives, Discovery's and so many more...if you know you know....because they sound really great as well, and still affordable (shhh....)

Good vibes only - share the love for the 80s

I've been collecting indie 80's jazz for awhile and there are plenty of hidden gems...Theresa was recently discovered by Pure Pleasure (although I think this might have more to do with Pharoh Sanders) - many of these sessions are fantastic, pressed at RTI and sound incredible....

The John Hicks titles are great and are getting collectible, but the George Coleman session at Yoshi's is probably still $5 record and worth every penny...

Manhattan Jazz Quintet! I’ve been buying their 80s LPs over the last year or two and I find them to be really good. They occasionally veer toward schmaltzy but generally they are just shredding jazz standards. Eddie Gomez/Steve Gadd on most of those records, and generally very good sound.

Back