Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

All kidding aside, I have never actually listened to a Train album before. I often listen to a greatest hits album in these scenarios to determine a road map of where to explore. By the second song, I was like “oh this is gonna be one of those deals where I know all the songs by heart because ubiquity.”

Then this happened at track four:
View attachment 200983

I have never heard this song before in my life.

Why does singer dude rap in this?

Also… adult alternative pop. Wtaf?

Edit: Cab explains my question of what adult alternative pop is. They clearly found this on a Rod Stewart 80’s demo cassette.

Re-edit:

Lololololol.

Also, do you think they paid INXS?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
The weirdest thing to me is when they put out that cover album of Led Zeppelin II. I got it for $5 and it's the only Train album I've listened to all the way through, but they tried to sound identical to Zep and didn't put any originality into it. Very odd album because I'd never guess it was Train based on the radio songs of theirs I know.

The weirdest thing to me is when they put out that cover album of Led Zeppelin II. I got it for $5 and it's the only Train album I've listened to all the way through, but they tried to sound identical to Zep and didn't put any originality into it. Very odd album because I'd never guess it was Train based on the radio songs of theirs I know.
Reading about them last night, the lead singer dude started out in a Led Zeppelin cover band.

👀
Drive By

Is he actually trying to do a pitbull thing?

I have a soft spot for some of Train’s singles. I’m not going to pretend any of them anre necessarily “good” but that doesn’t stop my enjoyment of them. This one is probably my favorite single from them. It’s just a stupid little ear worm that I can’t help but enjoy

I have a soft spot for some of Train’s singles. I’m not going to pretend any of them anre necessarily “good” but that doesn’t stop my enjoyment of them. This one is probably my favorite single from them. It’s just a stupid little ear worm that I can’t help but enjoy
I did like the early ones despite not wanting to.

Hey man, "The Way" and "Counting Blue Cars" are undeniably great songs.
I dig that Fastball album. Dishwalla pretty much was just “Counting Blue Cars” though.

I remember being in 8th grade, on a trip to Best Buy and only having the money for one CD, trying to decide which album to buy based off their first singles. between Dishwalla, Marcy’s Playground, and The Refreshments. I ended up going with Macy’s Playground. While that album was better than Dishwalla; I think The Refreshments was the direction I shoulda chose.

Last edited:
I dig that Fastball album. Dishwalla pretty much was just “Counting Blue Cars” though.

I remember being in 8th grade, on a trip to Best Buy and only having the money for one CD, trying to decide which album to buy based off their first singles. between Dishwalla, Marcy’s Playground, and The Refreshments. I ended up going with Macy’s Playground. While that album was better than Dishwalla; I think The Refreshments was the direction I shoulda chose.
Refreshments for sure, that's a fun record to sing along with

I missed the convo last week about artistic personas and authenticity vs. commercial affectation - where do Gorillaz fall in this? I like some of the music, but I'm also confused by the cartoon personas and what they're supposed to signify. I don't follow them closely enough to know whether the cartoons are the same characters from one album to another or whether their "career" as a band has involved a series of different personas.

It's also weird to think about Damon Albarn releasing those albums and songs without a cartoon image persona - I'm not sure that they would be as successful/palatable without the cartoons.

Back