Hip Hop

The one truly surprise album for me this year has been El Camino's album. It's a no skip album for me. I never thought it was going to be that after the first listen, but the beat choices, his flow changes on all of them, and the varied content on it has been a pleasant surprise. I think it's my favorite BSF album at this point.

"This is a very Griselda way of doing this"

I said something similar on another forum a few days ago. Gunn is just doing what he always does and rapping with that same odd timing flow that he's been using. He's just doing it while also bridging trap and boom bap together. Not necessarily "going trap", but bringing trap into his world.

I can't fully explain why but I'm loving it lol. I think it's a special energy about this tape that is just right up my alley.

I'm dubbing this shit "Boom Trap" ™

Trademark pending. View attachment 184735

I just love how he frames it in the light as people "not getting it". Nah, it's just whack ass production choices and him showing he's not lyrically versatile enough to give trap beats the proper treatment. This whole rant also comes off as so insecure.

I just love how he frames it in the light as people "not getting it". Nah, it's just whack ass production choices and him showing he's not lyrically versatile enough to give trap beats the proper treatment. This whole rant also comes off as so insecure.
Lol but there's also those that think it's dope ass production choices and him showing he's lyrically versatile enough to give trap beats the proper treatment. I don't see an issue with saying people don't get it. There's plenty of artists and albums that folks love and praise that I don't care for. I have no problem saying "I don't get it" WZXs1j9.png

As someone who considers himself a major Gunn Stan, I am incredibly disappointed with this album. I have no problem with trap beats. Future is actually one of my favorite rappers. But if you’re Westside Gunn and you want to rap over trap beats, why are you going to Miguel the plug instead of, I don’t know, Metro Boomin, or Southside, or anybody from the 808 mafia, for example. I didn’t hate all the trap tracks, I just hate the ones with the garbage beats. And West definitely does not understand how to flow over those beats either, so I’m not really sure why he was so enamored with the style. I’m hoping it’ll grow on me, but I doubt it.

That said, the new Jay Worthy album with Kamaiyah and Harry Fraud is complete fire. It’s one of the best listens front to back that I’ve heard all year. Harry Fraud gets a little credit, but I really don’t think he gets enough respect. He’s one of the most consistent producers in the game. He doesn’t miss very often. I wasn’t all that familiar with Kamaiyah, but I will be checking her out now. Her solo track Entrepreneur is one of my favorite songs of the year.
Oh man, you gotta give that A Good Night in the Ghetto tape a spin, that was one of my favorite projects that came out that year and still finds a way into my summer rotation every year

Lol but there's also those that think it's dope ass production choices and him showing he's lyrically versatile enough to give trap beats the proper treatment. I don't see an issue with saying people don't get it. There's plenty of artists and albums that folks love and praise that I don't care for. I have no problem saying "I don't get it" View attachment 184740
There's always stans that give hot garbage a pass because they can't admit that something they hoped was going to be amazing turns out not to be so. He didn't come out and make this post because it's getting praised. And all he did was prove he's not versatile enough rap over trap beats multiple times on this project.

Lol but there's also those that think it's dope ass production choices and him showing he's lyrically versatile enough to give trap beats the proper treatment. I don't see an issue with saying people don't get it. There's plenty of artists and albums that folks love and praise that I don't care for. I have no problem saying "I don't get it" View attachment 184740

There's always stans that give hot garbage a pass because they can't admit that something they hoped was going to be amazing turns out not to be so. He didn't come out and make this post because it's getting praised. And all he did was prove he's not versatile enough rap over trap beats multiple times on this project.
I think Ice likes it because he is a casual Griselda fan that really just loves trap (check his twitter and you'll see the wild music he thinks is fire) and this worked for him. You can even hear Parks questioning his ranking somewhat backhandedly when he first starts saying shit (Parks much more of a Griselda fan/stan and has been forever and of course has worked on the boards for previous Griselda projects)

One look at the Griselda subreddit, discords, etc. will show that even the usual stans don't really like it.

There are people like myself who are the farthest from a Griselda stan (see me selling most of my Griselda collection over the last year) who thoroughly enjoyed majority of the album.

Different strokes for different folks....I dont think it's one group likeing, disliking, hating, or caping for it in particular. Everyone has mixed feelings on a WSG album for the first time since Who Made The Sun Shine. I hated that project, there were people who liked it. Anytime he makes a switch from the usual formula he's been known to go to this is the discourse

Ahh there we have it lol. Well I'm not a Gunn stan and I like it, and I've also seen quite a few "I don't know much about Westside Gunn but I'm fucking with this album"/"I'm not the biggest Westside Gunn fan but this is fire" posts so i don't think that's true for everybody. I've also seen Gunn making plenty of posts just like this one complaining about the same type of stuff regardless of how much praise he gets lol. I mean the very clip he posted is his album getting some major praise.

I'm really digging his approach to these beats. I like it when he does it over boom bap and I guess that doesn't change for me just because it's being done over trap. Instead of simply following the same straight forward pocket rapping that most do, it's Gunn being Gunn. I've seen so many people criticize his flow for so long and personally I'm glad he stood on it like this.

I think the issue is that it can read like it invalidates their opinion.

"I don't like alfredo sauce."

"That's because you don't get it. It's called ignorance. If you had the ability to grasp it, then you'd understand the greatness "

Maybe that wording is just interpreted differently by different people.

I think the issue is that it can read like it invalidates their opinion.

"I don't like alfredo sauce."

"That's because you don't get it. It's called ignorance. If you had the ability to grasp it, then you'd understand the greatness "

Maybe that wording is just interpreted differently by different people.
"That's because you don't get it. It's called ignorance. If you had the ability to grasp it, then you'd understand the greatness"

Damn he went off like this? 😂😂

"That's because you don't get it. It's called ignorance. If you had the ability to grasp it, then you'd understand the greatness"

Damn he went off like this? 😂😂
I took that as just a paraphrase of what is meant when people say that others "don't get it" concerning something. And IMO, that's a cop out when any musician says that. It's music, not astro physics.

I took that as just a paraphrase of what is meant when people say that others "don't get it" concerning something. And IMO, that's a cop out when any musician says that. It's music, not astro physics.
Ohhh. Ok. Well that's a lot different than "Everybody won't get it and that's fine", imo, and I don't really know how it can be taken as that, but hey like Dead C said we all interpret things differently.

And there's a lot of things that folks "don't get" that also aren't "astro physics." Music definitely being one of them.

Have y'all seriously never had a song or album or artist that you didn't care for but months or days or years later something changed? You've never had a "oh, I get it now" moment with music?

i don't necessarily take that as a "damn that was complicated" astro physics thing lol. I mean it could honestly be anything. Mood, life experiences, lack of context and understanding or relatibility, etc... can all keep you from enjoying an album one minute but then have you completely loving it the next.

Or some folks just won't ever like it of course and that's fine too but I personally don't see anything wrong with the idea that folks simply "don't get it" yet and something could click with them later on. fuFgzN1.png

Ohhh. Ok. Well that's a lot different than "Everybody won't get it and that's fine", imo, and I don't really know how it can be taken as that, but hey like Dead C said we all interpret things differently.

And there's a lot of things that folks "don't get" that also aren't "astro physics." Music definitely being one of them.

Have y'all seriously never had a song or album or artist that you didn't care for but months or days or years later something changed? You've never had a "oh, I get it now" moment with music?

i don't necessarily take that as a "damn that was complicated" astro physics thing lol. I mean it could honestly be anything. Mood, life experiences, lack of context and understanding or relatibility, etc... can all keep you from enjoying an album one minute but then have you completely loving it the next.

Or some folks just won't ever like it of course and that's fine too but I personally don't see anything wrong with the idea that folks simply "don't get it" yet and something could click with them later on. View attachment 184760
I hear what you're saying, and I've absolutely had records in my life that I didn't like at first and they eventually grew on me, but I've never felt it was because the artist was doing something I "didn't get" as if there's some mystery to it. I've had the "now I get it" moment with lyrics many times, but not with the composition of a record concerning production choices. And maybe that's just a vernacular thing for how we all use/interpret the term "not getting it" differently and in different contexts. I will say Gunn is correct though, because I "don't get" why he chose so many beats he is wholly incapable of rapping over, although I've never listened to a Gunn project for his own lyrical prowess. And I'll leave alone whatever Stove God was trying to accomplish on 1989.

One of my lifelong best friends that introduced me to artists i love to this day, and i did the ame for him, says to pimp a butterfly is Kendricks worst album. Mind you we both loved everything Kendrick did up until that point as well. He said shortly after the release that It's so over praised but in reality it's boring, the beats mostly suck, and has hardly any replay value across the entire tracklist.

TPAB is no where near the Gunn album in any aspect but I used that as an example to show that folks who usually have similar opinions about an artist can outta nowhere have vastly different opinions about the same artists music. That is really what I was trying to say earlier in so many words

Last edited:
"Have y'all seriously never had a song or album or artist that you didn't care for but months or days or years later something changed? You've never had a "oh, I get it now" moment with music?"

See, I was just saying that people might not be interpreting that statement in the same way, but what you're saying actually sounds exactly like the issue. The premise here is that they just "don't get it" but it's actually great rather than maybe they "get it" just fine, but don't like it. People can understand what something is and not enjoy it. If they don't enjoy it, that doesn't necessarily mean that they simply haven't realized that they don't like it YET.

See, I was just saying that people might not be interpreting that statement in the same way, but what you're saying actually sounds exactly like the issue. The premise here is that they just "don't get it" but it's actually great rather than maybe they "get it" just fine, but don't like it. People can understand what something is and not enjoy it. If they don't enjoy it, that doesn't necessarily mean that they simply haven't realized that they don't like it YET.
Well that quote wasn't so much in reference to what Gunn said but rather addressing the idea of music being equated to "astro physics" in order to "not get it".

But i get what you're saying. It doesn't necessarily mean "they haven't realized it yet", but it doesnt necessarily not mean that either.

Who knows. I just personally don't have an issue with him saying that and don't really think he's wrong for feeling that way.

Well that quote wasn't so much in reference to what Gunn said but rather addressing the idea of music being equated to "astro physics" in order to "not get it".

But i get what you're saying. It doesn't necessarily mean "they haven't realized it yet", but it doesnt necessarily not mean that either.

Who knows. I just personally don't have an issue with him saying that and don't really think he's wrong for feeling that way.

I think it depends on the situation too, because I've definitely had things that didn't click with me and later have.

"This is a very Griselda way of doing this"

I said something similar on another forum a few days ago. Gunn is just doing what he always does and rapping with that same odd timing flow that he's been using. He's just doing it while also bridging trap and boom bap together. Not necessarily "going trap", but bringing trap into his world.

I can't fully explain why but I'm loving it lol. I think it's a special energy about this tape that is just right up my alley.

I'm dubbing this shit "Boom Trap" ™

Trademark pending. View attachment 184735

"It's literally bots that was sent to put negative attn on my album" lmaooo no you just shit your pants in public. Totally lost the plot. It's what can happen when you're surrounded by yes men and already have a huge ego. I still think he's a Genius because much of the HWH series, Flygod, Praise Both, TT3 (which he exec produced) and many other projects he's had a hand in are totally exquisite, flawless top to bottom classics. Nobody but him was gonna make something like Shower Shoe Lords or Eggz or countless other tracks he's done. But this new one just ain't it. I'm glad other people are enjoying it and maybe I'm just a "bot" and I don't know it, but this album is the biggest disappointment I think I've ever had in hip hop. Big Krit's falloff after 4eva is a Mighty Long Time is the only thing I can compare as far as letdowns. He got the title right though bc I'm definitely praying for him now...

"It's literally bots that was sent to put negative attn on my album" lmaooo no you just shit your pants in public. Totally lost the plot. It's what can happen when you're surrounded by yes men and already have a huge ego. I still think he's a Genius because much of the HWH series, Flygod, Praise Both, TT3 (which he exec produced) and many other projects he's had a hand in are totally exquisite, flawless top to bottom classics. Nobody but him was gonna make something like Shower Shoe Lords or Eggz or countless other tracks he's done. But this new one just ain't it. I'm glad other people are enjoying it and maybe I'm just a "bot" and I don't know it, but this album is the biggest disappointment I think I've ever had in hip hop. Big Krit's falloff after 4eva is a Mighty Long Time is the only thing I can compare as far as letdowns. He got the title right though bc I'm definitely praying for him now...
Mine was Cudi dropping Speeding Bullet 2 Heaven after Indicud and Satellite Flight

Back