Hip Hop

As in out of time with the production. I feel like he speeds up or slows down independent of the beat. I don’t feel like he really stays in a pocket. I’ve got no problem with abstract and/or metaphorical lyrics. It’s simply how he raps that turns me off.
I wouldn't say he is independent of the production. He is usually anchored by the beat but you're right he definitely isn't an in-the-pocket rapper. Sometimes he goes a little free form line to line but comes back to the beat. It's definitely intentional. As he said himself, woods records are not for everyone. No harm in not digging it.

Last edited:
As in out of time with the production. I feel like he speeds up or slows down independent of the beat. I don’t feel like he really stays in a pocket. I’ve got no problem with abstract and/or metaphorical lyrics. It’s simply how he raps that turns me off.
I wouldn't say he is independent of the production. He is usually anchored by the beat but you're right he definitely isn't an in-the-pocket rapper. Sometimes he goes a little free form line to line but comes back to the beat. It's definitely intentional. As he said himself, woods records are not for everyone. No harm in not digging it.

Good convo 👆

Billy Woods is great.
I'm not bored when I listen to him. The metaphors are strong and the thoughts are creative.
I think the way he approaches production / beats with his voice is more tonal and less harmonizing. Basically using his voice as another beat... but that's some made-up critics language that hip-hop assholes use to sound like they know something when they don't.

For the life of me I can't figure out why people who are into hip-hop argue about it in the way they do (this is not a commentary on the current convo.) It seems to attract people who say the dumbest things, and the gatekeeping in hip-hop might be worse than any other genre. People are obsessed with "authenticity" and everyone just makes-up what that word means.

Anyway, Billy Woods helps keep hip-hop interesting for me and I'm waiting for Terror Mgmt. to land.

That’s a really good way of describing it. I tried Terror Management again this morning. billy clearly can rap in the pocket if he wants to, but it’s that free form style he has where he breaks in and out of it that throws me off. And there’s something about the way his voice sounds. It’s almost too abrasive/shouty/spoken. There’s a too much of a lack of melody for me I think. It’s interesting because I like El-P, Aesop, JPEG, and other artists with some of these qualities. I just don’t mesh with the way it comes together for billy. Which sucks because I see he gets so much praise around the internet and I feel like I’m missing something. Just not for me though 🤷🏽‍♂️

That’s a really good way of describing it. I tried Terror Management again this morning. billy clearly can rap in the pocket if he wants to, but it’s that free form style he has where he breaks in and out of it that throws me off. And there’s something about the way his voice sounds. It’s almost too abrasive/shouty/spoken. There’s a too much of a lack of melody for me I think. It’s interesting because I like El-P, Aesop, JPEG, and other artists with some of these qualities. I just don’t mesh with the way it comes together for billy. Which sucks because I see he gets so much praise around the internet and I feel like I’m missing something. Just not for me though 🤷🏽‍♂️
His voice/delivery is definitely an intense mood, even if there is some dark comedy in there as well. I am not putting some billy woods on at a party, that's for sure.

I think all of us have that artist that we really want to or feel like we should get that never clicks. Oh well, plenty of music out there.

This looks interesting, "
As the world continues to wait for Andre 3000's solo album, Altered Crates delivers the next best thing; Otis Benjamin - Blending together Andre's standout features, including unreleased acapellas, with the Californian beat-master and mad-genius, Madlib. Utilizing feature verses only, the Outkast MC's signature flow meshes perfectly with Madlib's eclectic style. Includes appearances by Big Boi, Raekwon, Snoop Dogg, Devin the Dude & Q-Tip."

Someone was talking about this a few pages back.
I don't know when this dropped but there are still some black copies available.
$22 + $5 shipping
6 tracks, 20 minutes

How come nobody of us knew about the drop?
Damn, would've loved the green pressing.
Now I'm still trying to figure out if I should go for the black pressing and pay the same amount of shipping as for the record itself... :cry:

How come nobody of us knew about the drop?
Damn, would've loved the green pressing.
Now I'm still trying to figure out if I should go for the black pressing and pay the same amount of shipping as for the record itself... :cry:

I don't know. Benny posted a video on twitter that I happened to catch and in the comments I saw something about bandcamp and happened to see it before it sold out. I'm not sure where it was announced.

Since you're out of the states maybe email Tuff Kong and HHV. I wouldn't be surprised if the black or their own version pops up there at some point.

Since you're out of the states maybe email Tuff Kong and HHV. I wouldn't be surprised if the black or their own version pops up there at some point.
Thanks a lot for the tip. Wrote Domenico and Samuel an email already. ;)
Fingers crossed they're getting some copies and maybe an exclusive as well...

Someone was talking about this a few pages back.
I don't know when this dropped but there are still some black copies available.
$22 + $5 shipping
6 tracks, 20 minutes

That was me! Thank you so much for posting this, definitely bummed I missed out on the color variant but just happy to have it on wax. Not sure how I missed this drop...

Back