Help me build a small system...for living in Japan

bornard

Hey crew - would love some advice - I've recently moved to Tokyo and will be looking for permanent accommodation soon, needless to say everything you've heard about Tokyo is true, apartments are small - now, I'm fortunate not to have to live in an ultra-tiny studio, but in general not tons of space for a vinyl system and the accompanying vinyl of which ive already got a nice little collection going.

my rig back in the states is pretty great and love the sound I've gotten out of it - and while its pretty small considering, I'm looking to go a bit smaller (and considerably less expensive)

Back home: Dr Feickert Woodpecker, Diavalet Expert 200 and Sonus Faber Olympica 1 Stand mounts

For Japan...love your thoughts on TT, an integrated amp and some smallish speakers - happy to go used as well, in fact preferred...

OK experts, go! And thanks in advance...

Hey crew - would love some advice - I've recently moved to Tokyo and will be looking for permanent accommodation soon, needless to say everything you've heard about Tokyo is true, apartments are small - now, I'm fortunate not to have to live in an ultra-tiny studio, but in general not tons of space for a vinyl system and the accompanying vinyl of which ive already got a nice little collection going.

my rig back in the states is pretty great and love the sound I've gotten out of it - and while its pretty small considering, I'm looking to go a bit smaller (and considerably less expensive)

Back home: Dr Feickert Woodpecker, Diavalet Expert 200 and Sonus Faber Olympica 1 Stand mounts

For Japan...love your thoughts on TT, an integrated amp and some smallish speakers - happy to go used as well, in fact preferred...

Oh man in Japan you could have so much fun! I’ve been eying importing a a second hand technics sp10 mk2 from there for years!

Good luck!

Do you have a boat parking?

Jokes aside. I have not enough knowledge to help but I hope you'll find what you want.

How exciting!!

Unfortunately small doesn't always mean inexpensive, so it also depends on your budget. That said, you're not going to get much smaller than a TT with a built in pre-amp and a pair of powered speakers. At the lower budget you could do something like a Fluance RT81 and a pair of Edifier R1280T's (Surprisingly good sounding for the price), that set up will set you back about $370 ;)

That said, you could go up the ladder on both TT w/pre, or add a separate pre to any TT of your choice, and a slew of powered speaker options to meet your space and budget..........you have options ;)

Best of luck on the system and the move :)

Japan has lots of great used gear outlets; Unisound in Yokohama is one I like to follow. I think when in Japan, go with an all-Japanese system!

On the Unisound site right now are pairs of smaller Yamaha NS-10MX studio monitors, which are well-regarded and not too expensive. Unfortunately, Japan has produced few standout two-channel speakers in the past couple of decades, so you may find imported higher-end models easier to find.

Too many good vintage tables to name, but I have a soft spot for Luxman. I have a Luxman PD-151 Mk2 that I got at a deep discount on the used market in Japan; it's the latest model and I love it. Also, can't go wrong with a new Technics 1200GR if you want new.

Luxman integrated amps are very hard to beat if you can get one at domestic prices. In a small apt, I'd avoid a Class A amp due to heat, but the L-505uXII could fit the bill nicely. Older models may also be available as used.

The Rega Io and Brio are pretty small. Not super powerful, but maybe a good match for some efficient Klipsch bookshelf speakers?

Japan has lots of great used gear outlets; Unisound in Yokohama is one I like to follow. I think when in Japan, go with an all-Japanese system!

On the Unisound site right now are pairs of smaller Yamaha NS-10MX studio monitors, which are well-regarded and not too expensive. Unfortunately, Japan has produced few standout two-channel speakers in the past couple of decades, so you may find imported higher-end models easier to find.

Too many good vintage tables to name, but I have a soft spot for Luxman. I have a Luxman PD-151 Mk2 that I got at a deep discount on the used market in Japan; it's the latest model and I love it. Also, can't go wrong with a new Technics 1200GR if you want new.

Luxman integrated amps are very hard to beat if you can get one at domestic prices. In a small apt, I'd avoid a Class A amp due to heat, but the L-505uXII could fit the bill nicely. Older models may also be available as used.
thanks! would love any reco for integrated amps that have great phono stages - do you think I could find a used luxman or accuphase for reasonable $$? thanks again

The Rega Io and Brio are pretty small. Not super powerful, but maybe a good match for some efficient Klipsch bookshelf speakers?
I love my Brio’s tiny footprint. The built in phono is actually pretty ok too, but pair that up with a MoFi UltraPhono and you’ve got a nice amp/preamp combo that takes up about as much space as a shoebox.

poked around some stores today but I would definitely be taking one of my Japanese friends to do a deal - used luxman and accuphase are everywhere, and every store has the same inventory and exactly the same prices for used...the PD-151 is about 350K new and the 505u about 280K used - but I bet there's room on both although not sure I want to go that pricey....but man have Nagaoka and Audio Technics raised their prices on cartridges...

A vintage Luxman PD-121 or PD-272 might cost half as much as a PD-151. A vintage 507S integrated should also cost half of a 505u.

I visit the Buyee site & app to get a sense of what pricing is on the used market. It taps multiple bidding and e-commerce sites. I used it to purchase my turntable and have it shipped to the US - the service was great.

Edit: Changed from PD-310 to PD-272, a non-vacuum platter table. The vacuum record hold-down adds complexity and cost.

Last edited:
poked around some stores today but I would definitely be taking one of my Japanese friends to do a deal - used luxman and accuphase are everywhere, and every store has the same inventory and exactly the same prices for used...the PD-151 is about 350K new and the 505u about 280K used - but I bet there's room on both although not sure I want to go that pricey....but man have Nagaoka and Audio Technics raised their prices on cartridges...
I think this is the best move. While some models are shared globally, some brands have models exclusive to the Japanese market.

And while you are shopping, please stop and have some sushi for me.

@bornard - what did you decide to do?

@bornard - what did you decide to do?
hey Angsty...haven't moved into my new accommodation yet so holding off until I'm a bit more settled...so now just living amongst the records bought for playing soon (I hope!)

will update once system purchased....I like the idea of used luxman integrated, but haven't really had any more time look around...

so a small update...as my record collection is Japan is growing steadily (living here is dangerous for the wallet) I decided on a Technics 1500C - the local price is 130K yen and in the strangest coincidence, a friend of mine visiting from Australia wanted to buy one as well so the tax free price is 118K yen or about $790 American dollars at current exchange...seemed quite a deal. It is definitely a nice looking deck although Im not sure the quality level is what I thought it would be....but all in all it sounds pretty good streaming to my portable bluetooth speaker ;-).

If I can swing it, im thinking luxman integrated, but still no idea on speakers as haven't finalized my apartment yet....but overall nice to be spinning records.

so thanks everyone for their help with this little project - the final system is in and couldn't be happier...both the JBL L82 classic and the Luxman 505u are being end of lifed for MK2 and 505z models so I was able to get fairly amazing deals on both older models brand new, even more so considering the decrepitude of the yen...so its retro old-skool style, Technics, Luxman, JBL like Tokyo in 1977.

Back