Dude....did you hear that?

• rad!!!

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • sick!!!!

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • holy shit!!!

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
Cross-posting @Yer Ol' Uncle D's recording from the taper's thread, because this performance from Neal Casal (RIP) is just incredible and more people should hear it:

Was reminiscing tonight about some beautiful people I've seen perform live that aren't around anymore. Especially those whose loss is still particularly painful.

Neal Casal. Damn. Still hurts so bad.

This is a recording of an early Chris Robinson Brotherhood show I made back in 2011. If I had to sum up Neal in one song, one solo, it would be this performance of Star Or Stone. Such beautiful, emotional playing. I always referred to Neal as The Quiet Shredder, and this song epitomizes that. It's so frustrating to know that someone creating such beautiful music was in such internal pain hidden to such an extent that the eventual outcome couldn't be recognized, changed, driven off course. Tragic.

The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available 24 hours a day in multiple languages. No matter how bad it may seem, there are people who care and a better alternative. Call 800-273-8255

I've always leaned more toward players that lay the raw emotion out there than those with crazy technical ability. And for that reason, some of my favorite solos probably come across as pretty simplistic. Many times less is more.

Here's Marc Ford illustrating the point. He kicks in at about 2:50 and only needs 35 seconds to seal the deal.

Jeff Beck - Brush With The Blues

Again no time stamp - a testimony to Beck's mastery of the picking hand and probably one of the most brilliant users of a trem bar and volume knobs to create sounds ever (and I don't say that lightly or with a lack of total conviction).

Plus, it's got Jennifer Batten (first time I saw him live was w/ her - she's brilliant).

Finally, on this run....Prince ripping through the solo of While My Guitar Gently Weeps (w/ Tom Petty, Steve Winwood, Jeff Lynne) at Rock n Roll Hall of Fame induction of George Harrison circa 2004. Prince starts going in ~3:30.

There are a multitude of videos to show that Prince was an astounding (and underrated) guitarist, but I always like to showcase this one whenever another guitarist can't look past the assless chaps and see what a dynamo he was.

Last edited:
Finally, on this run....Prince ripping through the solo of While My Guitar Gently Weeps (w/ Tom Petty, Steve Winwood, Jeff Lynne) at Rock n Roll Hall of Fame induction of George Harrison circa 2004. Prince starts going in ~3:30.

There are a multitude of videos to show that Prince was an astounding (and underrated) guitarist, but I always like to showcase this one whenever another guitarist can't look past the assless chaps and see what a dynamo he was.

Love that one! Another great While My Guitar Gently Weeps:

I've always leaned more toward players that lay the raw emotion out there than those with crazy technical ability. And for that reason, some of my favorite solos probably come across as pretty simplistic. Many times less is more.

Here's Marc Ford illustrating the point. He kicks in at about 2:50 and only needs 35 seconds to seal the deal.

Sneaky double deep cut offering, going with Sometimes Salvation & Mark Ford.
This is gonna send me down a Black Crowes Live wormhole this week.

This may not be the BEST recorded solo EVER...but this captures the creative process behind capturing a solo.

I love it when Kirk shoves it up Bob Rock's ass and does exactly what he told you he was going to do.

I bet I've watched this 100x.
Getting to see lighting captured in bottle like this is pretty amazing.

If you just want to watch the 2min version..here it is:

I prefer the 5min edit which captures the failed attempts and snippets of tension between Rock and Hammet.
I really lends a F' You statement to the playing at the end.

Back