Guitar Players Thread

a lot of folks do that Eb tuning, particularly if they can't sing high or play a lot of "alternative"/grunge stuff
Yeah. Eb tuning is very common. I play a lot of U2 stuff and almost every live version is tuned to Eb. Surprising that a guitar store person would question it.

So if my eyes aren't deceiving me, that is a Orange speaker cabinet turned into record shelving?

And there is a (presumably working?) Orange Amp sitting on top of it?

Also, pretty clever. Just need a set of JBLs w/ orange foam.
I assume it's just a kallax with orange contact paper or vinyl or leatherette or whatever to make it look like an orange speaker cab. I can't imagine someone tearing apart a speaker cab just to make a kallax when it would be easier to make the kallax look like the cab

I assume it's just a kallax with orange contact paper or vinyl or leatherette or whatever to make it look like an orange speaker cab. I can't imagine someone tearing apart a speaker cab just to make a kallax when it would be easier to make the kallax look like the cab
Oh a lil less cool then but does make a lot more sense.

View attachment 191150

After years of wanting one of these, I recently made it happen! Redid all of the wiring myself, each pickup now has its own volume and tone control and the wiring is decoupled so rolling the volume completely off of one pickup does not affect the other. I could not be happier!

those look like flatwounds, are they? Is there a reason you did the wiring that way as opposed to the traditional jazz-bass type wiring (where you "select" the pickup by lowering the volume on the one you don't want) ? pickup selectors on basses are pretty uncommon, is there a benefit to doing it one way vs the other or just a preference?

those look like flatwounds, are they? Is there a reason you did the wiring that way as opposed to the traditional jazz-bass type wiring (where you "select" the pickup by lowering the volume on the one you don't want) ? pickup selectors on basses are pretty uncommon, is there a benefit to doing it one way vs the other or just a preference?

Yes, they are flatwounds. I wasn't sure at first, but I like that they still have a bite while being tonally balanced and smooth as hell to play! Thinking of trying tapewounds next.
As far as the switch, it was a preference; I like the luxury of getting from one pickup to another faster. If I had to to it again, I would do either a Mustang 3-way switch or Jaguar on/off switches.

While experimenting with wiring on the 3pup Jaguar project, I am starting a new one.
Turning one of my Jazzmasters into an HSH. Both H's are P-rails with the Seymour Duncan 4-way pickup mounts, and the S is a Seymour Duncan Antiquity P90. Have my own graphic that I am getting custom printed on a Pickguard which I am about to start the tracing for.
Stay tuned!

While experimenting with wiring on the 3pup Jaguar project, I am starting a new one.
Turning one of my Jazzmasters into an HSH. Both H's are P-rails with the Seymour Duncan 4-way pickup mounts, and the S is a Seymour Duncan Antiquity P90. Have my own graphic that I am getting custom printed on a Pickguard which I am about to start the tracing for.
Stay tuned!
That sounds interesting, looking forward to seeing what the end result is like!

I’m about a month in trying to learn guitar. I’ve had two that my dad gave me for like 15 years now and they have been just sitting around. Anyway, when I finally decided to start some YouTube videos and learn something, I grabbed my roommates acoustic guitar simply because mine was in a case and I’m lazy. It seemed horribly out of tune so I grabbed a tuner and attempted to fix it. Except I made it worse. I was a little stoned and didn’t notice the strings were not set up in a standard way. My roommates ex was a guitar player and it dawned on me that he had set it up in some weird alternate way which my brain couldn’t comprehend. Long story short, why the hell do the first three strings and then the fourth and fifth seem like they are the same size? What sort of tuning was this psycho possibly using?? Honestly I don’t even think my roommate cares, but I want to try and fix this without just buying new strings if possible. I can’t ask the person responsible or I would. Any thoughts on the type of tuning that would make sense?

IMG_2993.jpeg

As far as my guitar journey, I’ve made minimal progress (using my own guitars in standard tuning) and using YouTube videos and some beginner books I had. It’s better than no progress. With some more work, playing along with some simple punk songs seems like a real possibility in the near future. After that, the sky is the limit.

I’m about a month in trying to learn guitar. I’ve had two that my dad gave me for like 15 years now and they have been just sitting around. Anyway, when I finally decided to start some YouTube videos and learn something, I grabbed my roommates acoustic guitar simply because mine was in a case and I’m lazy. It seemed horribly out of tune so I grabbed a tuner and attempted to fix it. Except I made it worse. I was a little stoned and didn’t notice the strings were not set up in a standard way. My roommates ex was a guitar player and it dawned on me that he had set it up in some weird alternate way which my brain couldn’t comprehend. Long story short, why the hell do the first three strings and then the fourth and fifth seem like they are the same size? What sort of tuning was this psycho possibly using?? Honestly I don’t even think my roommate cares, but I want to try and fix this without just buying new strings if possible. I can’t ask the person responsible or I would. Any thoughts on the type of tuning that would make sense?

View attachment 201133

As far as my guitar journey, I’ve made minimal progress (using my own guitars in standard tuning) and using YouTube videos and some beginner books I had. It’s better than no progress. With some more work, playing along with some simple punk songs seems like a real possibility in the near future. After that, the sky is the limit.
Could he have set it up in Nashville tuning? That’s the only thing that occurs to me with the string sizes being similar. Nashville tuning the notes are EADGBE ( low to high, as in standard tuning,) but the strings eadg are an octave up, using the high strings from a 12 string set. It’s used in country often, or you can hear it in alice in chains’ “nutshell”, Pink Floyd’s “hey you” or the stones wild horses

If so you’ll need new strings.

Could he have set it up in Nashville tuning? That’s the only thing that occurs to me with the string sizes being similar. Nashville tuning the notes are EADGBE ( low to high, as in standard tuning,) but the strings eadg are an octave up, using the high strings from a 12 string set. It’s used in country often, or you can hear it in alice in chains’ “nutshell”, Pink Floyd’s “hey you” or the stones wild horses

If so you’ll need new strings.
I second this, and was actually about to say the same thing.
Definitely new string time.

Back