Guided By Voices/Robert Pollard

MadLucas

How has this NOT been a thing yet?

For discussion of all things related to Guided By Voices, Robert Pollard solo albums, and any Pollard-related releases.

There's over 100 of them.

How did you get into their/his music?
Favorite albums list? Favorite songs list?
How many do you have a copy of? Any completists here? Anything you are having a hell of a time tracking down?

Or have you never listened and want an album to start with?

Let's do this :)

I have heard a handful of songs from them over the years on a local public radio here in Minnesota, 89.3 The Current. However, I’ve never really dove into them. And I’ve been meaning to.

Saw them this past Sunday live at Riot Fest, and while I got a decent idea of what they have to offer I still feel like I’ve only scratched the surface to a band that’s been around for over 30 years.

So, yes, please album me!!!

I have heard a handful of songs from them over the years on a local public radio here in Minnesota, 89.3 The Current. However, I’ve never really dove into them. And I’ve been meaning to.

Saw them this past Sunday live at Riot Fest, and while I got a decent idea of what they have to offer I still feel like I’ve only scratched the surface to a band that’s been around for over 30 years.

So, yes, please album me!!!

So, I looked up the setlist (which they are rather faithful for sticking to), and present it here with albums of origin in parentheses:

1. Glad Girls [Isolation Drills]
2. Cut-Out Witch [Under The Bushes, Under The Stars]
3. Dead Liquor Store [Warp And Woof]
4. Motor Away [Alien Lanes]
5. Best Of Jill Hives [Earthquake Glue]
6. You Own The Night [Zeppelin Over China]
7. I Am A Tree [Mag Earwhig]
8. Chasing Heather Crazy [Isolation Drills]
9. Blue Jay House [Warp And Woof]
10. She Wants To Know [Forever Since Breakfast]
11. Rally Boys [Zeppelin Over China]
12. My Kind Of Soldier [Earthquake Glue]
13. My Future In Barcelona [Zeppelin Over China]
14. Game Of Pricks [Alien Lanes]
15. Jane Of The Waking Universe [Mag Earwhig]
16. Tractor Rape Chain [Bee Thousand]
17. Yours To Keep [Bee Thousand]
18. Echoes Myron [Bee Thousand]
19. The Goldheart Mountaintop Queen Directory [Bee Thousand]
20. I Am A Scientist [Bee Thousand]
21. Your Name Is Wild [Under The Bushes, Under The Stars]\

THE NOT-AS-SAFE-AS-ONE-WOULD-THINK ALBUM RECOMMENDATION: If you can remember particularly liking any of these songs, start with that album. Just be prepared, in some cases, for inconsistency.

THE ABSOLUTE-NO-ONE-WOULD-ACTUALLY-ARGUE-WITH-THIS RECOMMENDATION: Start with Bee Thousand.
There is a very fair chance that any google search looking for their "best" album would have this as #1 as well. This came out during an era where 4-track/low-fi was as much a style as an aesthetic and for that reason alone many consider it a classic.
HOWEVER, the more important point is that the songs are terrific. This album was recorded during a period of rejuvenation for Robert Pollard and the rest of the band, so there was a ton of songwriting documented. If I remember correctly, there were approximately 65 songs recorded for this album, and the final track listing was the SIXTH version of the album; further to note is that not ONE single song appeared in all six track-listings, which truly documents the album as a work-in-progress. You really are getting the best of the best with this one.
For people who are new to GBV/RP, this album is a tiny bit confounding because of what many of us back-in-the-day referred to as "snippet" songs, most of which were sparsely decorated/instrumented and in most cases didn't even reach one minute in length. I personally bought the follow-up album Alien Lanes first back in '95 when it was coming out and those "snippet" songs almost deterred me from ever buying another album of theirs... I'm glad I powered through.
This album is a blue-print for what they were doing at the time: rapidly recording as much as possible, sometimes within a half-hour of a song being written, but this is the album where everything clicked in ways that didn't always with Vampire On Titus (its predecessor) and Alien Lanes (its follow-up).
This is one of five albums of theirs I come back to again and again and it always feels like home.
IF YOU LIKE THIS, NEXT CHECK OUT: Alien Lanes, Under The Bushes Under The Stars, and Warp & Woof.

THE MY-PERSONAL-PICK-TO-START-WITH RECOMMENDATION: Under The Bushes, Under The Stars.
Recorded after Alien Lanes (sometimes in a garage, sometimes in an 8-track studio) and released in 1996. This album is what made me LOVE the band.
On previous albums, the shorter songs felt exactly the right amount of length... on UTBUTS, the songs had (slightly) more length and it is almost criminal how much information can be packed inside of these two minute gems. There's not a single song that ends and I think either "there was too much of that" or "I really wish there was more of this." [Particularly of the first 18 songs, which is considered the "proper" album; the last six are bonus tracks.]
For those of us who have been listening and going to shows for a while, it also is home to the song "Don't Stop Now." Originally recorded as an acoustic demo years before, it was reborn in all its full-band glory. The idea of the album originally was that it would be a story about the history of the band, with "Don't Stop Now" being the epic closer, as it references previous works and paints a picture of the band emerging victorious from previous struggles/problems. It's probably no surprise that, since the "Electrifying Conclusion" concert in 2004 (where this song closed the final show), it has appeared on most of their setlists, usually as one of the last songs of the night.
...............unfortunately, the experience was marred for me the last time I saw them perform and Pollard was so drunk he fell into the drumset and basically had to be propped up against the bass drum for most of the rest of the performance. But, then again, I knew that was a possibility going in, sooooooo... there's that?
IF YOU LIKE THIS, NEXT CHECK OUT: Mag Earwhig, Isolation Drills, Half-Smiles Of The Decomposed, and Class Clown Spots A UFO.

MY FAVORITE ALBUM OF THEIRS THAT IS A DARK HORSE PICK EVEN AMONG OTHER FANS: Earthquake Glue.
This was originally a 12-song LP, but Pollard wrote three new songs ("My Kind Of Solder," "The Best Of Jill Hives," and "Of Mites And Men") basically as the album was being finished, and they were quickly recorded and sporadically placed through the album. I have listened to the album as a 12-song album and the full 15 song release, and it absolutely works both ways.
The three extra songs were absolutely the most power-pop single-ready songs of the entire album.
The remainder of it is very much an album's album. If you like Cheap Trick, The Cars, and Genesis, or like the thought of rolling them all together, you're going to swear by this one. Very much arena rock, more prog-type influences here than almost anything else they released.
I am still looking for anyone else to agree with me on this, but I will defend this album to the death.
IF YOU LIKE THIS, NEXT CHECK OUT: Half-Smiles Of The Decomposed, Space Gun, and Mag Earwhig.

There's a lot more to be said about era-specific GBV/RP, but you didn't ask about that ;)

I like to joke that Robert Pollard can’t even keep up with himself with the number of projects/songs he writes/releases

He might agree with you.
I remember an interview where one line of questioning was the interviewer naming a song and Pollard had to name the release it was from... it seemed touch-and-go for a moment.

So, I looked up the setlist (which they are rather faithful for sticking to), and present it here with albums of origin in parentheses:

1. Glad Girls [Isolation Drills]
2. Cut-Out Witch [Under The Bushes, Under The Stars]
3. Dead Liquor Store [Warp And Woof]
4. Motor Away [Alien Lanes]
5. Best Of Jill Hives [Earthquake Glue]
6. You Own The Night [Zeppelin Over China]
7. I Am A Tree [Mag Earwhig]
8. Chasing Heather Crazy [Isolation Drills]
9. Blue Jay House [Warp And Woof]
10. She Wants To Know [Forever Since Breakfast]
11. Rally Boys [Zeppelin Over China]
12. My Kind Of Soldier [Earthquake Glue]
13. My Future In Barcelona [Zeppelin Over China]
14. Game Of Pricks [Alien Lanes]
15. Jane Of The Waking Universe [Mag Earwhig]
16. Tractor Rape Chain [Bee Thousand]
17. Yours To Keep [Bee Thousand]
18. Echoes Myron [Bee Thousand]
19. The Goldheart Mountaintop Queen Directory [Bee Thousand]
20. I Am A Scientist [Bee Thousand]
21. Your Name Is Wild [Under The Bushes, Under The Stars]\

THE NOT-AS-SAFE-AS-ONE-WOULD-THINK ALBUM RECOMMENDATION: If you can remember particularly liking any of these songs, start with that album. Just be prepared, in some cases, for inconsistency.

THE ABSOLUTE-NO-ONE-WOULD-ACTUALLY-ARGUE-WITH-THIS RECOMMENDATION: Start with Bee Thousand.
There is a very fair chance that any google search looking for their "best" album would have this as #1 as well. This came out during an era where 4-track/low-fi was as much a style as an aesthetic and for that reason alone many consider it a classic.
HOWEVER, the more important point is that the songs are terrific. This album was recorded during a period of rejuvenation for Robert Pollard and the rest of the band, so there was a ton of songwriting documented. If I remember correctly, there were approximately 65 songs recorded for this album, and the final track listing was the SIXTH version of the album; further to note is that not ONE single song appeared in all six track-listings, which truly documents the album as a work-in-progress. You really are getting the best of the best with this one.
For people who are new to GBV/RP, this album is a tiny bit confounding because of what many of us back-in-the-day referred to as "snippet" songs, most of which were sparsely decorated/instrumented and in most cases didn't even reach one minute in length. I personally bought the follow-up album Alien Lanes first back in '95 when it was coming out and those "snippet" songs almost deterred me from ever buying another album of theirs... I'm glad I powered through.
This album is a blue-print for what they were doing at the time: rapidly recording as much as possible, sometimes within a half-hour of a song being written, but this is the album where everything clicked in ways that didn't always with Vampire On Titus (its predecessor) and Alien Lanes (its follow-up).
This is one of five albums of theirs I come back to again and again and it always feels like home.
IF YOU LIKE THIS, NEXT CHECK OUT: Alien Lanes, Under The Bushes Under The Stars, and Warp & Woof.

THE MY-PERSONAL-PICK-TO-START-WITH RECOMMENDATION: Under The Bushes, Under The Stars.
Recorded after Alien Lanes (sometimes in a garage, sometimes in an 8-track studio) and released in 1996. This album is what made me LOVE the band.
On previous albums, the shorter songs felt exactly the right amount of length... on UTBUTS, the songs had (slightly) more length and it is almost criminal how much information can be packed inside of these two minute gems. There's not a single song that ends and I think either "there was too much of that" or "I really wish there was more of this." [Particularly of the first 18 songs, which is considered the "proper" album; the last six are bonus tracks.]
For those of us who have been listening and going to shows for a while, it also is home to the song "Don't Stop Now." Originally recorded as an acoustic demo years before, it was reborn in all its full-band glory. The idea of the album originally was that it would be a story about the history of the band, with "Don't Stop Now" being the epic closer, as it references previous works and paints a picture of the band emerging victorious from previous struggles/problems. It's probably no surprise that, since the "Electrifying Conclusion" concert in 2004 (where this song closed the final show), it has appeared on most of their setlists, usually as one of the last songs of the night.
...............unfortunately, the experience was marred for me the last time I saw them perform and Pollard was so drunk he fell into the drumset and basically had to be propped up against the bass drum for most of the rest of the performance. But, then again, I knew that was a possibility going in, sooooooo... there's that?
IF YOU LIKE THIS, NEXT CHECK OUT: Mag Earwhig, Isolation Drills, Half-Smiles Of The Decomposed, and Class Clown Spots A UFO.

MY FAVORITE ALBUM OF THEIRS THAT IS A DARK HORSE PICK EVEN AMONG OTHER FANS: Earthquake Glue.
This was originally a 12-song LP, but Pollard wrote three new songs ("My Kind Of Solder," "The Best Of Jill Hives," and "Of Mites And Men") basically as the album was being finished, and they were quickly recorded and sporadically placed through the album. I have listened to the album as a 12-song album and the full 15 song release, and it absolutely works both ways.
The three extra songs were absolutely the most power-pop single-ready songs of the entire album.
The remainder of it is very much an album's album. If you like Cheap Trick, The Cars, and Genesis, or like the thought of rolling them all together, you're going to swear by this one. Very much arena rock, more prog-type influences here than almost anything else they released.
I am still looking for anyone else to agree with me on this, but I will defend this album to the death.
IF YOU LIKE THIS, NEXT CHECK OUT: Half-Smiles Of The Decomposed, Space Gun, and Mag Earwhig.

There's a lot more to be said about era-specific GBV/RP, but you didn't ask about that ;)
That's a pretty great set, but a little short for GBV. I think the last time I saw them it was like 50 songs! Great synopsis and recommendations too!

Might have been shorter because of the festival?
You're right, every time I've seen them it's been closer to 45-50 songs.
The Electrifying Conclusion tour was bonkers because they were playing things from all (at the time) 15 albums PLUS solo stuff, it was all over the map.
And, if this could get any better, I was at the Dallas show and Tobin Sprout opened :)

Because of this thread I decided to jump back into GBV again. I was only ever a Bee Thounsand/Alien Lanes indie kid. I also saw GBV at Riot Fest way back in 13 or either 14. I can’t remember which year they played. But it was a great show albeit shorter.

Since I still listen to MP3s and refuse to stream I was able to find someone with a blogspot that had albums from Propeller all the way up until Motivational Jumpstart. They also had EPS and 7”’s too but I skipped those for now. Is that a good mixture to work with? Do I need the early albums or the most recent output?

Because of this thread I decided to jump back into GBV again. I was only ever a Bee Thounsand/Alien Lanes indie kid. I also saw GBV at Riot Fest way back in 13 or either 14. I can’t remember which year they played. But it was a great show albeit shorter.

Since I still listen to MP3s and refuse to stream I was able to find someone with a blogspot that had albums from Propeller all the way up until Motivational Jumpstart. They also had EPS and 7”’s too but I skipped those for now. Is that a good mixture to work with? Do I need the early albums or the most recent output?

Regarding the early albums: not really?
Pollard was asked in the early 00's to pick some of his favorite releases, and one of them was the first full-length The Devil Between My Toes. A solid debut? Yes... but I rarely feel the need to pull it out.
Their second album Sandbox is one of my absolute favorites, but I have yet to find someone to agree. It is very, very much a power-pop record and I highly recommend it if you are into early Who or Flamin' Groovies.
Self-Inflicted Aerial Nostalgia is a solid, ambitious album that probably would have better benefited from high-fidelity recording. It is one of two GBV albums (the other being Vampire On Titus) that I believe the low-fi quality hinders the listening experience, which is a shame because it would be RIGHT up there with Under The Bushes Under The Stars and Earthquake Glue otherwise (especially considering the prog influences on all three).
Their fourth album, Same Place The Fly Got Smashed, is quite possibly my least favorite album they recorded. It's a concept album about drinking and, the fact of the matter is, it sounds like they recorded it when they were wasted and didn't put a ton of thought into it.

Regarding post-Motivational Jumpsuit albums... I really, really like Space Gun and Warp And Woof, but the others are ones I rarely will find myself wanting to listen to. August By Cake and Zeppelin Over China really did not at all need to be 2xLP's when there's 1xLP of great tracks buried in them. As far as Please Be Honest, I really like the songs and they were highlights of the show when I saw them live in 2016, but the album itself is slightly painful otherwise; Pollard played all of the instruments himself and the mastering/eq-ing of the final product could have used a LOT more love. Why it wasn't released as a Teenage Guitar album (the project where he plays all the instruments), I don't know. I recommend skipping that one for now in favor of his solo album Of Course You Are released almost at the exact same time.

The 7"/EP question is a lot harder to answer. There's some interesting stuff in there, but I think the only "essential" listening would be Fast Japanese Spin Cycle, The Grand Hour, and Tigerbomb.
Actually, I would put all three of these above some of their full lengths... I would put all three above Propeller, Vampire On Titus, and Universal Truths & Cycles for sure, which is interesting for the following reasons:
1. Two of them were released around the time of Vampire On Titus, an album which is a hard, hard listen and yet both EP's are harder to find yet contain more enjoyable songs
2. The EP The Pipe Dreams Of Instant Prince Whippet is all outtakes from Universal Truths & Cycles, yet I listen to the EP a lot more than it's brother album. I can say exactly the same for the Hold On Hope or Daredevil Stamp Collector EP's which are all outtakes of songs from the album Do The Collapse... which is a shame, because when that album is good, its GREAT, but when it's not... MEH.

Super curious to see where you land with your listening :)

Regarding the early albums: not really?
Pollard was asked in the early 00's to pick some of his favorite releases, and one of them was the first full-length The Devil Between My Toes. A solid debut? Yes... but I rarely feel the need to pull it out.
Their second album Sandbox is one of my absolute favorites, but I have yet to find someone to agree. It is very, very much a power-pop record and I highly recommend it if you are into early Who or Flamin' Groovies.
Self-Inflicted Aerial Nostalgia is a solid, ambitious album that probably would have better benefited from high-fidelity recording. It is one of two GBV albums (the other being Vampire On Titus) that I believe the low-fi quality hinders the listening experience, which is a shame because it would be RIGHT up there with Under The Bushes Under The Stars and Earthquake Glue otherwise (especially considering the prog influences on all three).
Their fourth album, Same Place The Fly Got Smashed, is quite possibly my least favorite album they recorded. It's a concept album about drinking and, the fact of the matter is, it sounds like they recorded it when they were wasted and didn't put a ton of thought into it.

Regarding post-Motivational Jumpsuit albums... I really, really like Space Gun and Warp And Woof, but the others are ones I rarely will find myself wanting to listen to. August By Cake and Zeppelin Over China really did not at all need to be 2xLP's when there's 1xLP of great tracks buried in them. As far as Please Be Honest, I really like the songs and they were highlights of the show when I saw them live in 2016, but the album itself is slightly painful otherwise; Pollard played all of the instruments himself and the mastering/eq-ing of the final product could have used a LOT more love. Why it wasn't released as a Teenage Guitar album (the project where he plays all the instruments), I don't know. I recommend skipping that one for now in favor of his solo album Of Course You Are released almost at the exact same time.

The 7"/EP question is a lot harder to answer. There's some interesting stuff in there, but I think the only "essential" listening would be Fast Japanese Spin Cycle, The Grand Hour, and Tigerbomb.
Actually, I would put all three of these above some of their full lengths... I would put all three above Propeller, Vampire On Titus, and Universal Truths & Cycles for sure, which is interesting for the following reasons:
1. Two of them were released around the time of Vampire On Titus, an album which is a hard, hard listen and yet both EP's are harder to find yet contain more enjoyable songs
2. The EP The Pipe Dreams Of Instant Prince Whippet is all outtakes from Universal Truths & Cycles, yet I listen to the EP a lot more than it's brother album. I can say exactly the same for the Hold On Hope or Daredevil Stamp Collector EP's which are all outtakes of songs from the album Do The Collapse... which is a shame, because when that album is good, its GREAT, but when it's not... MEH.

Super curious to see where you land with your listening :)
Awesome thanks for the very detailed reply. I’ll scout out a couple of those early albums and download those few eps. I’m currently listening to Vampire on Titus, it’s fine. Reminds me a little of very early Beck a bit. It’s okay. Propeller was not bad, listened to that one before this one. Still not doing much with only one listen. Repeated listens and I’ll probably pick up on some more stuff.
Was it this show?
Yes it was!

Propeller was not bad, listened to that one before this one. Still not doing much with only one listen. Repeated listens and I’ll probably pick up on some more stuff.

If it makes you feel any better, here was my personal take on Propeller:

FIRST LISTEN: This is amazing!
SECOND LISTEN: This is... well, it's still good?
THIRD LISTEN: Aaaaaaaaaand I'm done.

If it makes you feel any better, here was my personal take on Propeller:

FIRST LISTEN: This is amazing!
SECOND LISTEN: This is... well, it's still good?
THIRD LISTEN: Aaaaaaaaaand I'm done.
They have so much material where you can just move on and don’t feel the need to spend time with it if it doesn’t do anything for you.

I first met my wife when we started talking about our mutual love of "Game of Pricks." I was very conflicted when they played Riot Fest at the same time as Against Me, but I've seen them a bunch and opted for that monster Against Me set. As much as everyone was stoked when they got the "classic" lineup back together awhile back, I really think this current lineup is so tight. Just so much material out there but it's all solid.

I first met my wife when we started talking about our mutual love of "Game of Pricks." I was very conflicted when they played Riot Fest at the same time as Against Me, but I've seen them a bunch and opted for that monster Against Me set. As much as everyone was stoked when they got the "classic" lineup back together awhile back, I really think this current lineup is so tight. Just so much material out there but it's all solid.

This line up really IS great.
Wish I had seen it... the closest I have come was the last time they played Connecticut. Literally THREE DAYS after that show, Nick Mitchell was out of the band and Doug Gillard was back in.
I guess I'm glad I got to hear Wicked Ricky songs live when I did.

The new GBV album (and their third of the year) Sweating The Plague is due out this month.

And yet, mysteriously, an album for 2020 is showing up on the gbvdb page called Surrender Your Poppy Field.

I can't find any information about this anywhere... anyone got anything?

Back