Grado Cartridges and Stylus - Questions and Advice.

Shrinkflation has struck Grado. The Sonata3 no longer has a nude elliptical stylus per Joseph Long. It’s now bonded at $600.

FYI, I’ve mentioned Joseph Long has less expensive options- you can get a nude elliptical on an aluminum cantilever from him for $200.

I’ve listened to a half dozen albums with the souped up Gold3. It’s amazing, and Joseph states that there are multiple reasons why it’s superior to any MC. Right now it’s the Stones “12 x 5” from the Mono Box. I think the improvement a serious stylus brings to the table might be greater with the ME+ mono cartridge. It’s jaw dropping.

I plan on getting a few backup styli squirreled away.

Time for a beauty shot and thoughts on value and the “other” Grado many people are unaware of.
54AC5A84-F61A-43DE-B9EC-084325968987.jpeg

So- the cost on the upgrade isn’t cheap at $475, but it’s not as expensive as it appears on the surface. Grado in general give very little useful information- A/T is better in this regard. They state that an elliptical stylus lasts 300 hours. Given that a factory Grado Gold or 8MZ stylus is $175, that makes each hour cost 58.33 cents. A MicroLine stylus is rated at 1000 hours, so at $475 for the Boron/MicroRidge, each hour costs 47.5 cents.

So on an hourly basis, the operational cost is actually 18.56% less in favor of the superior stylus. And that’s just the math side of it. You’ll also get better performance due to less distortion and better tracking, You also get lower record wear because the MicroRidge is closest in profile to the stylus that cut the lacquer.

The 300 hour rating on an elliptical stylus may be rather conservative, but the 1000 hours for the MicroRidge is from the same source (A/T) so I’d think it’s equally conservative.

I’m far from the first to attempt to maximize the performance of a Grado cartridge. In fact, the late Len Gregory built Grados in the U.K. and fitted them with Line Contact styli. Here’s the Cartridge Man Music Maker MkIII. Elusive Disc still shows it, priced at $1195. It’s clearly a modified Grado.

F0C73535-0965-4CA7-8A67-45E7A8D72A72.jpeg

Given this information, the Hotrod Gold3 looks like an even better value- it’s stylus is rated to last 200 hours longer than the Line Contact on the Music Maker.

The body of the Gold3 is worth $85- $260 less $175 for the factory stylus. So assuming the factory stylus is shot, it has no value. $475 for the Boron/MicroRidge stylus plus $85 for the body makes the final cost $560, or less than half of the Cartridge Man Music Maker.

And did I mention that it sounds amazing and far more costly than it is?

Thinking about (that is, I want to purchase but do not yet have wife approval) getting a SOTA Escape with Origin Live Silver tonearm. Looking for cart recommendations. $300-400 price range.

TIA.

My Opus3 is starting to kick the bucket. I know someone mentioned before you could trade in old cartridges to grado for credit toward an upgrade...could someone point me in the right direction?

Hello Folks. Long time reader and my first post on this forum. I am researching an upgrade for my Pro-Ject Classic's cartage which is a Sumiko Blue Point No.2. and the Grado Gold3 and Opus3 caught my attention. I was wondering if anyone here has experience with the Blue Point and can chime in on its differences in sonic character with the Grado. My feeling around the Blue Point No.2 is that the mids can have a tendency jump too forward. I find my self having to use my Loki to lower the 2khz ranges at about 3dbs on many older records. Trumpets can become espesally irratating and I find myseld listening to less Miles Davies records, although I don't have as much issues with Chet Baker's horns. I also wish for a fuller tones along the lower spertrums which I understand the Grado can excell at. Thank you for your inputs!

Hello Folks. Long time reader and my first post on this forum. I am researching an upgrade for my Pro-Ject Classic's cartage which is a Sumiko Blue Point No.2. and the Grado Gold3 and Opus3 caught my attention. I was wondering if anyone here has experience with the Blue Point and can chime in on its differences in sonic character with the Grado. My feeling around the Blue Point No.2 is that the mids can have a tendency jump too forward. I find my self having to use my Loki to lower the 2khz ranges at about 3dbs on many older records. Trumpets can become espesally irratating and I find myseld listening to less Miles Davies records, although I don't have as much issues with Chet Baker's horns. I also wish for a fuller tones along the lower spertrums which I understand the Grado can excell at. Thank you for your inputs!
First off, thanks for coming out of hiding ;)

If you're finding your current sound to be a bit "harsh" at times, I'd go with the Opus3 to warm things up, while keeping a nice balance and detail. Still one of my all time favorite cartridges and with all the carts I've had, used, moved and sold, it's one of the ones that's still in rotation ;)

First off, thanks for coming out of hiding ;)

If you're finding your current sound to be a bit "harsh" at times, I'd go with the Opus3 to warm things up, while keeping a nice balance and detail. Still one of my all time favorite cartridges and with all the carts I've had, used, moved and sold, it's one of the ones that's still in rotation ;)
Thank you for your input! Balancing the music towards warm and fuller body without harsh mids is definitely where I like to move to. On another note, my tonearm is listed at around 13.5g and the Opus3 mass at 8. Will this be problematic? The photos I’ve seen of the cart also shows that it’s a low rider. Is this designed on purpose in order to resinate between the vinyl and the wood body? Just wondering out loud.

Thank you for your input! Balancing the music towards warm and fuller body without harsh mids is definitely where I like to move to. On another note, my tonearm is listed at around 13.5g and the Opus3 mass at 8. Will this be problematic? The photos I’ve seen of the cart also shows that it’s a low rider. Is this designed on purpose in order to resinate between the vinyl and the wood body? Just wondering out loud.
Mass wise, you are good.

The Classic has adjustable arm height so you can get the top of the cartridge parallel to the record. Is not near as much of low rider as say an Ortofon 2m series, one of which is offered exclusively by Pro-Ject. You’ll have no issues.

Buy from Amazon so you can return it in case you have a hum issue. And be careful with the headshell leads/wires. They are fragile on the Pro-jects.

Mass wise, you are good.

The Classic has adjustable arm height so you can get the top of the cartridge parallel to the record. Is not near as much of low rider as say an Ortofon 2m series, one of which is offered exclusively by Pro-Ject. You’ll have no issues.

Buy from Amazon so you can return it in case you have a hum issue. And be careful with the headshell leads/wires. They are fragile on the Pro-jects.
Thank you for the advice and warning!! So you want the cartridge to be parallel but not the arm, is that correct?

Thank you for the advice and warning!! So you want the cartridge to be parallel but not the arm, is that correct?
In your case it’ll automatically be both. There are some arms with oddly shaped headshells- in those cases, level the top of the cartridge.

You’ll also want an inexpensive digital stylus force gauge and an acrylic VTA block, both available from Amazon. You could also use a lined 3x5 index card in place of the block.

In your case it’ll automatically be both. There are some arms with oddly shaped headshells- in those cases, level the top of the cartridge.

You’ll also want an inexpensive digital stylus force gauge and an acrylic VTA block, both available from Amazon. You could also use a lined 3x5 index card in place of the block.
Thank you for the tips. The index card is brilliant! Probably much easier to see than a clear acrylic block. Really looking forward to checking the Grado sound out. I am really appreciating all the info available as to the different type of sounds one can expect from the hundreds of carts available out there.

My Opus 3 is just about at it's end, I'm curious if anyone has stepped up a notch or two to the Platinum or Sonata cartridges? If anyone has, has it been for the better?

Every time I put something else on my deck, it gets replaced by the Opus, regardless of price. Love that cart. If a step up would get me more Grado goodness, I'd be game.

Opinions?

Last edited:
My Opus 3 is just about at it's end, I'm curious if anyone has stepped up a notch or two to the Platinum or Sonata cartridges? If anyone has, has it been for the better?

Every time I put something else on my deck, it gets replaced by the Opus, regardless of price. Love that cart. If a step up would get me more Grado goodness, I'd be game.

Opinions?
I went from the Gold3 to the Platinum3. I’ve been happy as it’s an upgrade, even if not necessarily as huge of one as the Gold was from my Ortofon Red.

The Platinum is full of Grado goodness.

Opinions?
That damn Opus3, lol. While its not on my deck as often now a days, its never leaving my home. Like you it always found a way back on to the TT, lol. What I can share is this, I was kind of in the same circumstance and decided to reach out to Rich Grado and flat out ask him if the move up was worth it (Platinum3), would I gain some big sound jumps, also explaining that I really like how the Opus sounds. I'm paraphrasing a bit, but the nuts and bolts of his answer were that there would be an audible difference, but nothing that was going to blow your socks off, he also added, if you're happy with what the Opus is giving you, stick with it and enjoy the music.

So to that, I would say I agree with him. Unless you're looking to try something new, a different sound characteristic, then, I've always felt that you need to try another brand, or, move up more then one rung of the ladder of the current brand. I've tried a lot of carts and can tell you the vast majority sound great, it just boils down to personal preferences and budget.

I don't know if that helps or not, but thought it was worth sharing ;)

First off it’s great to be back here posting. I’m all over social Media and neglecting what’s important but no more….

So I got introduced to Grado when I bought my Technics 1200G and the place I ordered ran late in sending it so as an extra they sent me a Grado Silver stylus. I absolutely fell in love with it. So when I accidentally broke my needle I needed to replace it I went up a level to Grado Gold and worth every penny.

Back