Gear Tests Playlists and Test Albums

my test songs on spotify (im not on tidal yet, waiting to get a hipdac or dragonfly first to get full experience). i feel like it mostly tests things like harmonics, textures, bass dynamics, and it mostly just shows the kind of music i listen to

I've been casually looking for this album in record shops for awhile, and I'm so glad I was finally able to bring it home. If you are only familiar with the hits and general TV image from the Beastie Boys, this album with turn your perspective upside down. Such amazing fusions of funk and jazz. The boys leave a strong legacy, but I wish their actual musicianship had more a spotlight. All of these tracks are well recorded, and the vinyl is well pressed. This will be coming with me for any demos I have in the foreseeable future. The biggest challenge is which tracks would be the actual demo tracks because the whole thing is so darn good.

I've been casually looking for this album in record shops for awhile, and I'm so glad I was finally able to bring it home. If you are only familiar with the hits and general TV image from the Beastie Boys, this album with turn your perspective upside down. Such amazing fusions of funk and jazz. The boys leave a strong legacy, but I wish their actual musicianship had more a spotlight. All of these tracks are well recorded, and the vinyl is well pressed. This will be coming with me for any demos I have in the foreseeable future. The biggest challenge is which tracks would be the actual demo tracks because the whole thing is so darn good.
This is the last album that I need to get.

Try Beastie Boys, The Mix Up.
Finally giving this a listen today. Not sure why I haven't yet, but better late than never.
If this first track is any indication of what's to come, this will be added to my near future shopping list.

I find myself constantly turning to St. Vincent's acoustic/piano version of MassEducation both for enjoyment and as a true reference level album. If you don't have this already, I highly suggest it. And if you're not a St. Vincent fan, try it anyway. This version is shockingly different from the regular release of Masseduction.

I find myself constantly turning to St. Vincent's acoustic/piano version of MassEducation both for enjoyment and as a true reference level album. If you don't have this already, I highly suggest it. And if you're not a St. Vincent fan, try it anyway. This version is shockingly different from the regular release of Masseduction.

I remember being mixed on some of the arrangements but there were others that really popped. I never listened to it on the big system, though. Mostly in the kitchen on a HomePod.

I'll give it a (streaming) listen today.

I remember being mixed on some of the arrangements but there were others that really popped. I never listened to it on the big system, though. Mostly in the kitchen on a HomePod.

I'll give it a (streaming) listen today.
Get that shiz on a big system. Worth it just to try it in that format. The piano version of Savior haunts me. The album version feels lifeless, while this version is just oozing emotion.

Some of the arrangements are odd, and I think that's because she knew where she was going with them. But overall I think it's wonderful.

Get that shiz on a big system. Worth it just to try it in that format. The piano version of Savior haunts me. The album version feels lifeless, while this version is just oozing emotion.

Some of the arrangements are odd, and I think that's because she knew where she was going with them. But overall I think it's wonderful.
I remember liking the arrangement of Sugarboy.

I do feel like the minimalism of the arrangements does highlight some of the weaknesses in the songwriting on this album vs her earlier work, but I know how subjective that is.

Slow Disco and Smoking Section are as good as anything she's ever done, though.

I really does highlight the limitation of gear. I remember this being one of two albums I had that made me turn against the 2M, man did the blue make this sound shrill. Interesting Thomas Bartlett is involved in both, piano and co-arrangements on this one and producing the other, Olivia Chaney’s last album. I do think that he’s a certified genius.

Back