Gardening

When I moved I dug up those planters that I trenched into the hillside. This past weekend we finally got them retrenched into the back yard. while the cuts were nowhere near as deep this time I placed them over some stumps and had to chop out the large tap roots to get the planters level. currently they catch backyard leaf piles and kitchen compost but hopefully this spring I finish them out with some fill dirt and top with compost and get started for real. I have metal frames for them with mesh and frost covers and we're thinking maybe we'll do some citrus plants?
Mine are closed for the season and also collecting leaves and table scraps. I wish I had the foresight to pick up some of their trellis systems before I filled them to the brim.

I'm heading out of town for work for ~month (26 days). I have a little more than a dozen indoor plants. It's already enough of a chore finding someone to watch someone to watch the pupper while I'm gone, so I don't plan on getting anyone to come in to water the plants. I plan on giving the plants a good soaking right before I leave and upon returning and they are mostly low-light, resilient type plants.

But does anyone have experience with using a clothesline water system? I read online that you can leave a bucket of sitting water and run cotton rope (I've got some cotton clothesline) from the bucket to ~2" into the soil near the base of the plant to keep it hydrated. As well, I have some of the more humid-loving plants on pebble trays that I'll fill before leaving (but will surely be dry by the time I return).

Thoughts?

I've got my irrigation set up for a work trip.

Here's hoping I don't come back to a plant massacre in 25 days.

View attachment 199183
I'm happy to say that after a month gone my plants did not die and most were doing pretty well. They were definitely getting water from that bucket as I left it full and came back with 3/4 gone.

Back