Frank Zappa

Got “Bongo Fury” in the replay cue. :). Got to see him play in latter ‘70’s. I have a number of his lps but it is good sized back catalogue. Still need to explore in more depth.

He was a genius. My dad was really into him, but for some reason I’ve never taken the time to dig into his work. I need to fix that.

Let me know if you need some recommendations. He genre jumps a lot so if you can tell me which types of music you like I could probably recommended a few albums for you?

Got “Bongo Fury” in the replay cue. :). Got to see him play in latter ‘70’s. I have a number of his lps but it is good sized back catalogue. Still need to explore in more depth.

That's awesome, it would probably be cool to look-up the shows and setlists for that if you happen to remember where?

C56D6E5E-B40A-44DA-8F4A-CAD7B32E84E8.jpeg

Don’t rem the set list but this was the show. Clearly rem FZ. Had a good view from lower left bleachers. Not that large of place. Not sure if building still there as they have since built a huge new one. 9/24/77 UofI Iowa City, IA. Now did we have the $5, $6, or $7 tickets?

Love Zappa. Picked up a mint copy of Broadway The Hard Way last week. Did any of you get the Roxy DVD that was released a few years ago. It’s phenomenal.

He’s one of the artists who starting with a compilation actually makes sense as his reach is so wide and the detours so extreme. The first Zappa albums I got were We’re Only In It For The Money and Joe’s Garage, both phenomenal but they could be from different planets. Strictly Commercial gives you a few entry points where you can jump off and explore an album

Listening to Zappa takes me back to some of the best memories of my relationship with my ex. Mind you, I don't look back fondly at that situation overall but I remember hearing Punky's Whips and laughing so hard I was in tears. Or when I heard Watermelon in Easter Hay and cried for a other reason.

I totally understand why so many people are die hard Zappa fans. While I've barely tapped into all his discography, the range and his musicality really makes me want to.

Besides Joe's Garage and Hot Rats, what recs does everyone have for a novice?

Listening to Zappa takes me back to some of the best memories of my relationship with my ex. Mind you, I don't look back fondly at that situation overall but I remember hearing Punky's Whips and laughing so hard I was in tears. Or when I heard Watermelon in Easter Hay and cried for a other reason.

I totally understand why so many people are die hard Zappa fans. While I've barely tapped into all his discography, the range and his musicality really makes me want to.

He’s someone that 10 different die hard will pick 10 different records - the first ones i’d Go for are by the original Mothers Of Invention

We’re Only In It For The Money (psych parody & tape manipulation, mocking the Summer of Love before it’s over)
Freak Out (First album, first ever double album, pop songs albeit weird ones)
Uncle Meat (final progression of original Mothers, Eric Dolphy inspired jazz, baroque classical interludes mixed with helium voiced pop)

One Size Fits All

My recommended starting points for people are:

Hot Rats - Jazz Fusion, absolutely off the rails jams

One Size Fits All - This is a very safe first pick, you get a lot of everything, pretty rock heavy and experimental but not aggressively so.

Freak Out! - Some awesome pop rock heavy music, just a really enjoyable album to listen to honestly.

Apostrophe - In the same realm as OSFA, a little more out there with the humor.

Roxy & Elsewhere - As the user mentioned above they just put out video of this, this has a ton of great jams, great audience interaction too.

You Are What You Is - I really like this one for the humor, one his stronger humor centric albums imo.

You Can't Do That On Stage Any More Vol. 2 - If you like any of the above, I'd honestly go to this next, this is a great showcase of how good live Zappa can be.

He’s someone that 10 different die hard will pick 10 different records - the first ones i’d Go for are by the original Mothers Of Invention

We’re Only In It For The Money (psych parody & tape manipulation, mocking the Summer of Love before it’s over)
Freak Out (First album, first ever double album, pop songs albeit weird ones)
Uncle Meat (final progression of original Mothers, Eric Dolphy inspired jazz, baroque classical interludes mixed with helium voiced pop)

Love WOIIFTM and Uncle Meat but I could absolutely see those throwing off a person with the weirdness, if you are feeling super ambitious go for it though.

Love Zappa. Picked up a mint copy of Broadway The Hard Way last week. Did any of you get the Roxy DVD that was released a few years ago. It’s phenomenal.

The DVD is so great, crazy it took so long to actually come out, people have been waiting for this forever haha.

View attachment 795

Don’t rem the set list but this was the show. Clearly rem FZ. Had a good view from lower left bleachers. Not that large of place. Not sure if building still there as they have since built a huge new one. 9/24/77 UofI Iowa City, IA. Now did we have the $5, $6, or $7 tickets?

Wild, I can't find the setlist for the show, but looks like that was the The Sheik Yourbouti tour...bet you got a great The Torture Never Stops, a great jam + lyrics song from that era.

I got a copy of Broadway The Hard Way a few weeks ago, I was used to the cd so the order is different and it has a few less songs but wow, great sounding record and I love how the political songs could apply right now. Dickie’s Such An Asshole and When The Lie’s So Big have great little references to other tracks in the horn arrangements and what not.

Joe's Garage is my favorite, but I like most of his stuff from the early 70s through the early 80s. I snagged a copy of YCDTOSA Volume 2, but think the rest of the set was never released on vinyl. Anyone know?

Joe's Garage is my favorite, but I like most of his stuff from the early 70s through the early 80s. I snagged a copy of YCDTOSA Volume 2, but think the rest of the set was never released on vinyl. Anyone know?

Vol 2 is the only full concert. I think the sampler for the series was on vinyl.

Back