Fitness!

ARFID (Avoidant/Restrictive Food Intake Disorder) is real and it sucks.
With my son, he eats very few veggies or fruit and lives off of carbs and eggs. I recommend having something on the plate that she will eat (even if it means cooking something that isn't in your diet) so that it doesn't look so daunting to her.

I also grew up with protein, veggie and carb side. I find that if you swap things like white rice for brown rice and put more veggies on your plate, with only a small side carb, you can basically do the whole protein + veggie + carb plate, just adjust your proportions. Eat more of the less calorically dense but higher nutritionally dense greens.

I’m hoping that when my daughter starts 1st grade that her palate will expand as she might want to try some of the food at school. She’s currently a visual eater, so if it’s not looking good, it’s not going in her tummy. Most of the time I will cook her something separate from what the adults are eating. She’ll ask me what I’m fixing and if she isn’t feeling it, she’ll let me know.
Her main dinner staples are, chicken noodle soup, peanut butter sandwich and butter noodles. She loves broccoli, cauliflower, peas and corn. So those are our typical veggies and if I do make rice, her dinner will be rice and veggies. She’s not really a meat eater. My wife makes a nice stir fry with either ground turkey or chicken and she’ll eat that and the only chicken nuggets that she’ll eat are from McDonald’s 😁

Last edited:
I’m hoping that when my daughter starts 1st grade that her pallet will expand as she might want to try some of the food at school. She’s currently a visual eater, so if it’s not looking good, it’s not going in her tummy. Most of the time I will cook her something separate from what the adults are eating. She’ll ask me what I’m fixing and if she isn’t feeling it, she’ll let me know.
Her main dinner staples are, chicken noodle soup, peanut butter sandwich and butter noodles. She loves broccoli, cauliflower, peas and corn. So those are our typical veggies and if I do make rice, her dinner will be rice and veggies. She’s not really a meat eater. My wife makes a nice stir fry with either ground turkey or chicken and she’ll eat that and the only chicken nuggets that she’ll eat are from McDonald’s 😁
Mine likes the PB and J sandwich, blue box Kraft mac n cheese, those damn McDonald's chicken nuggets, green beans on a good day, apples, grapes, bananas, and ham. He used to only eat plain noodles and plain rice as well, but we were able to get him to expand his palate and he now eats meat sauce or marinara on his noodles as well. He will also eat rice and beans when I make that. He doesn't eat much more. I usually try to make one meal a week that I know he'll eat and then he eats leftovers or a sandwich for dinner on nights he completely refuses. He also eats hot dogs, and he just branched out into burgers, and of course, he eats fries.

Mine likes the PB and J sandwich, blue box Kraft mac n cheese, those damn McDonald's chicken nuggets, green beans on a good day, apples, grapes, bananas, and ham. He used to only eat plain noodles and plain rice as well, but we were able to get him to expand his palate and he now eats meat sauce or marinara on his noodles as well. He will also eat rice and beans when I make that. He doesn't eat much more. I usually try to make one meal a week that I know he'll eat and then he eats leftovers or a sandwich for dinner on nights he completely refuses. He also eats hot dogs, and he just branched out into burgers, and of course, he eats fries.

Very similar. She loves butter noodles but will eat a traditional meat sauce. She loves apples but prefers green ones to red.
She won’t eat hot dogs even though she’s had them before when she was in pre school. We’re not big hot dog eaters so it’s not a big deal. One of the big things that she doesn’t eat, which I find weird is grilled cheese because she’s into bread and cheese. Kids are funny and maddening at the same time. I don’t remember being a super picky eater when I was a kid.
Do you give your son vitamins at all? I’m always worried that my daughter is lacking something.

So, I haven't done a marathon or half marathon since around 2014, and my wife has never been into running due to her asthma. But this year my wife has lost about 50 pounds since Thanksgiving and we've both been running several days a week.

On Tuesday, registration opens for the SF Half Marathon in February and I think we are both going to do it together.

I got both of us registered this morning. I'm looking forward to getting out there for a 13.1.

Very similar. She loves butter noodles but will eat a traditional meat sauce. She loves apples but prefers green ones to red.
She won’t eat hot dogs even though she’s had them before when she was in pre school. We’re not big hot dog eaters so it’s not a big deal. One of the big things that she doesn’t eat, which I find weird is grilled cheese because she’s into bread and cheese. Kids are funny and maddening at the same time. I don’t remember being a super picky eater when I was a kid.
Do you give your son vitamins at all? I’m always worried that my daughter is lacking something.
He gets a multivitamin because there is no way he's getting the nutrients he needs.
I was a little picky, but not as restrictive. For a very long time, I could not have the components of my meal touching each other. I got over that as I grew up.

Hey y'all, bad news. I bombed out. I missed all 3 squat attempts. I could have stayed for other lifts but they would count for nothing so I left. It was a death of many cuts but the main one is the apparent fact that training at home alone has found me squatting too high with no feedback to tell me otherwise.

My first attempt I was taken aback it redlighted for depth. I, maybe stupidly, increased weight for my second attempt per the plan. I did sink it correctly but failed to get out of such a deep hole at 25lb over the opening weight. I repeated the weight for my 3rd attempt and felt like I got it but when I heard the crowd groan I knew I was toast.

There were lots of confounding factors. It was ridiculously hot in there. The warmups were a clusterfuck with a lot of working in because there were only 3 racks to work with. Also, the plates were all kilo plates which meant I was never sure how much I had on the bar. I am pretty spoiled at home with my air conditioning and ritualistic warmup routine that gets my mind right. Finally, the judges were clearly being very strict. There was an abnormal number of red lights for nearly everyone.

Not sure how to train around shitty warmup conditions but I can train for depth. I will likely go for it again at a meet in January and tentatively l plan to keep the same goals and just train depth, depth, depth. I did compare my lifts today to videos of the same attempts at my last meet and I was very clearly getting substantially more depth back then.

Still sorting through the disappointment and self loathing.

Hey y'all, bad news. I bombed out. I missed all 3 squat attempts. I could have stayed for other lifts but they would count for nothing so I left. It was a death of many cuts but the main one is the apparent fact that training at home alone has found me squatting too high with no feedback to tell me otherwise.

My first attempt I was taken aback it redlighted for depth. I, maybe stupidly, increased weight for my second attempt per the plan. I did sink it correctly but failed to get out of such a deep hole at 25lb over the opening weight. I repeated the weight for my 3rd attempt and felt like I got it but when I heard the crowd groan I knew I was toast.

There were lots of confounding factors. It was ridiculously hot in there. The warmups were a clusterfuck with a lot of working in because there were only 3 racks to work with. Also, the plates were all kilo plates which meant I was never sure how much I had on the bar. I am pretty spoiled at home with my air conditioning and ritualistic warmup routine that gets my mind right. Finally, the judges were clearly being very strict. There was an abnormal number of red lights for nearly everyone.

Not sure how to train around shitty warmup conditions but I can train for depth. I will likely go for it again at a meet in January and tentatively l plan to keep the same goals and just train depth, depth, depth. I did compare my lifts today to videos of the same attempts at my last meet and I was very clearly getting substantially more depth back then.

proud of you for not only doing the damn thing, but already looking at ways to work on improving for next time (and a next time, damn!)

1. You showed up.
2. You gained valuable insight on how to prep for January.

I'm sorry that it sucked but I'm still proud of you for trying.

(Insert obligatory jab about you getting old 😋 )

Back