Feature requests?

how about we do away with all reactions because validation (or lackthereof) via emojis makes genuine conversation next to impossible. likes and dislikes are totally unnecessary and add nothing. if using your words is too much effort then you probably don't need to say anything.
*folsom_lives liked your post*

In all seriousness though. I do appreciate the quick "liking" of a post rather than writing out some long-winded "I agree because of this..." thesis.

Can you imagine how many "hahahaha" or "LOL" comments there would be if we did away with the laughing emoji's?

Fair point. But people would probably get tired of that too. I think the inter webs would be a better place without likes, nopes, up votes, etc.

we could give it a try for a month and see how it goes

I wish there was a simple raised hand/"this is me" type emoji for posts asking "does anyone else like x?" or "who else has the same problem with VMP that I have?" - you don't necessarily want to read through 30 posts of people just saying "yeah me, too."

how about we do away with all reactions because validation (or lackthereof) via emojis makes genuine conversation next to impossible. likes and dislikes are totally unnecessary and add nothing. if using your words is too much effort then you probably don't need to say anything.
A+++++++++++

Same goes for meme reactions

I kind of miss conversation. In particular when you get some users log on and spam like a thread and you have tonnes of notifications but no conversation. Talk to me people...

Fair point. But people would probably get tired of that too. I think the inter webs would be a better place without likes, nopes, up votes, etc.

we could give it a try for a month and see how it goes
So you're saying that unless we have something substantial to add to the conversation, you don't want anyone to convey that they enjoy someone else's contribution? I agree that downvoting can add to negativity but I fail to see how giving someone a digital smile or kudos is a bad thing.

I think it would take a lot away from the community aspect and feel like a much more soulless place if people only responded with thought out responses. I definitely don't have time to write out a detailed response to every post on here that I enjoy and would like to let that person know I enjoy everyday.

A+++++++++++

Same goes for meme reactions
3k01l8.jpg

I use the reactions as they’re an accepted (and almost expected) part of the culture here. That said, seeing them disappear altogether wouldn’t be a great loss at all. Hell, it may even be a net gain. It’s not gonna happen, but it isn’t a bad idea in the least.

So you're saying that unless we have something substantial to add to the conversation, you don't want anyone to convey that they enjoy someone else's contribution? I agree that downvoting can add to negativity but I fail to see how giving someone a digital smile or kudos is a bad thing.

I think it would take a lot away from the community aspect and feel like a much more soulless place if people only responded with thought out responses. I definitely don't have time to write out a detailed response to every post on here that I enjoy and would like to let that person know I enjoy everyday.

no. I’m saying if you like something say it. If you don’t say it. Or don’t react at all.

the system of likes and dislikes is the failure. Not the action.

likes and dislikes is often a form of opinion validation or sometimes attacking someone else’s opinion. It’s why reddit is the cesspool that’s it is (in part). One thing that saves this place is a lack of down-vote option....Other than the people that are here- mostly

edit: I’m saying it promotes people reacting instead of talking/thinking

no. I’m saying if you like something say it. If you don’t say it. Or don’t react at all.

the system of likes and dislikes is the failure. Not the action.

likes and dislikes is often a form of opinion validation or sometimes attacking someone else’s opinion. It’s why reddit is the cesspool that’s it is (in part). One thing that saves this place is a lack of down-vote option....Other than the people that are here- mostly

edit: I’m saying it promotes people reacting instead of talking/thinking
I guess to me, unless you have something like the weird system Reddit uses, you either click like, or type something like "this is a great post." Or "thanks!" Which is basically the same as using the reactions, but creates a bunch of spam. If you have to write more than that to interact with anyone's posts, tons of posts would go essentially ignored because people only have time for so many thought out posts every day.

I agree that if you want to disagree with someone that more detail is better because just downvoting or thumbs downing someone is just throwing negativity out there to be misinterpreted as the owner sees fit, and would discourage people from posting a lot more than not getting as many likes as someone else.

I don't see how throwing low detail positive reactions is remotely a bad thing though. I don't always feel like I can add something more than someone else already said (better than me), or I simply don't have time (probably rich coming from someone like me who posts too much). But, I still want to throw a quick smile, agreement, thanks, or laugh someone's way to let them know I appreciate it.

I guess to me, unless you have something like the weird system Reddit uses, you either click like, or type something like "this is a great post." Or "thanks!" Which is basically the same as using the reactions, but creates a bunch of spam. If you have to write more than that to interact with anyone's posts, tons of posts would go essentially ignored because people only have time for so many thought out posts every day.

I agree that if you want to disagree with someone that more detail is better because just downvoting or thumbs downing someone is just throwing negativity out there to be misinterpreted as the owner sees fit, and would discourage people from posting a lot more than not getting as many likes as someone else.

I don't see how throwing low detail positive reactions is remotely a bad thing though. I don't always feel like I can add something more than someone else already said (better than me), or I simply don't have time (probably rich coming from someone like me who posts too much). But, I still want to throw a quick smile, agreement, thanks, or laugh someone's way to let them know I appreciate it.

that’s fine. I’m not asking you to agree with the thought or not.

I don’t think we need to celebrate every post we like nor do we need to chastise everything that we don’t. I’m saying there’s an alternative where we don’t do anything

Last edited:
that’s fine. I’m not asking you to agree with the thought or not.

I don’t think we need to celebrate every post we like nor do we need to chastise everything that we don’t. I’m saying there’s an alternative where we don’t do anything
I guess I've never been on a board like that of this relatively small size so I'm not sure how it'd turn out. Maybe I'm being pessimistic. Hard to say.

I guess I've never been on a board like that of this relatively small size so I'm not sure how it'd turn out. Maybe I'm being pessimistic. Hard to say.

who knows?
that's why i suggested a trial period.
maybe it's cool and it's better for people
maybe it's annoying and worse for people
maybe it's neither or both

but it could be cool and it could be better and it might make a positive difference
i know it isn't going to happen but i think it's worth a try

Back