Everything Video Games!

The new FFXIV expansion is a real return to form. The music is amazing, the story interesting, and the new areas are beautiful. I was not a fan of Stormblood, but I'm already really enjoying this and I just started.

The new FFXIV expansion is a real return to form. The music is amazing, the story interesting, and the new areas are beautiful. I was not a fan of Stormblood, but I'm already really enjoying this and I just started.
Really wish I had the time to regularly play FFXIV again. :( Just doesn't fit in my schedule anymore to be worth it.

Finished the main storyline for Red Dead 2 on Saturday. What a ride! I'm working on the Epilogue and 100% now, hopefully I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and can move on soon. This isn't to say I didn't enjoy the game, I just hit a point in every open world game where I feel like I've seen most of what the game has to give.

Sean, Kieran, Lenny dying all sucked. I liked each of them.

I haven't read the reactions to the end, but I really liked how cyclical it felt with the first game. Big shootout ending in the hero's death. Last minute "redemption" moments just before the finale. The passing of the torch to the next person who's going to go down a similar path. I also felt they did a pretty good job of making Dutch a real villain. He starts out somewhat likable, or at least respectable in his end goal, then goes batshit insane fulfilling his ego in Chapter 6. I also wanted to shoot Michah the entire game, especially in Chapter 6, but that would have solved all the problems and invalidated the first game.

I just started Epilogue Part II, after you buy the house. I went and did some of the 100% stuff - got all the dino bones, rock carvings, and Dreamcatchers. Didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would, the interactive maps are real good at pinpointing where things are. Left off at going to get the last legendary fish, and I still have the last few legendary animals in the south to get. The rest of the challenges are probably going to be the biggest time consumer. I still have most of Bandit and Gambler to do, as well as get all the plants for Herbalist.

Finished the main storyline for Red Dead 2 on Saturday. What a ride! I'm working on the Epilogue and 100% now, hopefully I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and can move on soon. This isn't to say I didn't enjoy the game, I just hit a point in every open world game where I feel like I've seen most of what the game has to give.

Sean, Kieran, Lenny dying all sucked. I liked each of them.

I haven't read the reactions to the end, but I really liked how cyclical it felt with the first game. Big shootout ending in the hero's death. Last minute "redemption" moments just before the finale. The passing of the torch to the next person who's going to go down a similar path. I also felt they did a pretty good job of making Dutch a real villain. He starts out somewhat likable, or at least respectable in his end goal, then goes batshit insane fulfilling his ego in Chapter 6. I also wanted to shoot Michah the entire game, especially in Chapter 6, but that would have solved all the problems and invalidated the first game.

I just started Epilogue Part II, after you buy the house. I went and did some of the 100% stuff - got all the dino bones, rock carvings, and Dreamcatchers. Didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would, the interactive maps are real good at pinpointing where things are. Left off at going to get the last legendary fish, and I still have the last few legendary animals in the south to get. The rest of the challenges are probably going to be the biggest time consumer. I still have most of Bandit and Gambler to do, as well as get all the plants for Herbalist.
Oh, man, I forgot about that terrible gambler one where you have to win blackjack three times with 3 or more hits. The absolute worst. Godspeed.

Really wish I had the time to regularly play FFXIV again. :( Just doesn't fit in my schedule anymore to be worth it.

I’ve felt that way about FFXI since I quit in all the way back in 2004. XIV has never been an option.

That said, a couple of weeks ago I beat FFXII (on the Switch) at around 98 hours. I didn’t think I’d be up for it but a few days later I fired up a new campaign. I don’t love it like other FFs (IX, VI, Tactics), but there’s enough there to warrant another playthrough.

Just finished Outer Wilds. It was a really cool world (solar system) exploration game trying to solve the mystery of what is going on. Hard to explain much more than that without giving something away.

Just finished Outer Wilds. It was a really cool world (solar system) exploration game trying to solve the mystery of what is going on. Hard to explain much more than that without giving something away.

I picked this up but haven’t had a chance to play it yet. It sounds excellent.

What are people's thoughts on Mario party for the Switch?

I'm looking to get either that or Mario Kart before I leave for Norway in a few days. Mostly just looking for good multiplayer games for the long flight.
I vote Mario Kart. Mario Party can be frustrating in it's randomness. It's great for kids and gatherings where people don't really care much about competition. Playing Mario Kart you actually might feel a sense of accomplishment for winning a race.

What are people's thoughts on Mario party for the Switch?

I'm looking to get either that or Mario Kart before I leave for Norway in a few days. Mostly just looking for good multiplayer games for the long flight.
Definitely Mario Kart. There's actual online multiplayer, and there is waay more content.

I vote Mario Kart. Mario Party can be frustrating in it's randomness. It's great for kids and gatherings where people don't really care much about competition. Playing Mario Kart you actually might feel a sense of accomplishment for winning a race.
That's why I was leaning more towards Mario Party. I'd normally get Mario Kart first, but I'm traveling with my family who don't really game much and I'd figure Mario Party would be a decent comprise for everyone.

I'll probably grab a few of the jackbox games as well maybe overcooked too.

That's why I was leaning more towards Mario Party. I'd normally get Mario Kart first, but I'm traveling with my family who don't really game much and I'd figure Mario Party would be a decent comprise for everyone.

I'll probably grab a few of the jackbox games as well maybe overcooked too.

Both Overcooked games and the Jackbox stuff are absolutely fantastic, and are easily the best casual couch multiplayer things going.

Both Overcooked games and the Jackbox stuff are absolutely fantastic, and are easily the best casual couch multiplayer things going.
I played Overcooked with my son this weekend for the first time. He's 6, so trying to coordinate with him increases the stress factor that game has by design by a wide margin. Still fun though!

Speaking of Mario Kart, anyone have any steering issues on Switch? I'm using the joycons, and I did have issues with drift previously. I replaced the joysticks recently, and haven't had any issues in other games (Smash, Odyssey) , nor do I see drift anymore in the joycon calibration. However, when I'm playing Mario Kart, the kart constantly moves left or right. It does this in both single player or two player (with the joycons turned sideways). This leads to turning in the direction of the drift being almost too much, and a lot of turns that aren't optimal in the other direction, sometimes leading to using the walls to make the corner. I'm going to try a couple controllers tonight, I have a wired pro controller and a wireless 8bitdo one. Just curious if anyone else has seen this?

Speaking of Mario Kart, anyone have any steering issues on Switch? I'm using the joycons, and I did have issues with drift previously. I replaced the joysticks recently, and haven't had any issues in other games (Smash, Odyssey) , nor do I see drift anymore in the joycon calibration. However, when I'm playing Mario Kart, the kart constantly moves left or right. It does this in both single player or two player (with the joycons turned sideways). This leads to turning in the direction of the drift being almost too much, and a lot of turns that aren't optimal in the other direction, sometimes leading to using the walls to make the corner. I'm going to try a couple controllers tonight, I have a wired pro controller and a wireless 8bitdo one. Just curious if anyone else has seen this?

Did you select no-tilt controls on MK8?

Anyone else play Apex Legends? I've been grinding it the past two days (while spinning records) since Season 2 came out yesterday. Loving the changes they've made!

Anyone been playing any Auto Chess games types? Riot just released Team Fight Tactics not too long ago and I've been playing the crap out of it! It's a nice change of pace from normal League of Legends. It's competitive, but not a mechanically skilled game. It's more mental and trying to get the best team comps with the best synergies. It's pretty addicting.

Back