Everything Video Games!

Around 230 hours played and Link is getting one last look as the sun sets on Breath of the Wild.

I finished just about everything other than finding all the Korok seeds and the Trial of the Sword.

My-Link-BOTW.jpg

Ordered a copy of TotK on Walmart's website Tuesday. I was originally just looking to see if they had in store pickup. They were offering free shipping and release day arrival instead. Yes please.

Tomorrow is going to be good.

Hot take: weapon degradation is a great design decision that adds to the combat system more than it takes away. It forces the player to decide if direct combat is necessary, and what weapons they want to risk losing. It also reinforces the idea of finding other solutions to challenges, like sneaking, running past, or using abilities and the environment for your aid. Also helps add variety to the weapons you carry. Finally, it adds a small skill check if you are unprepared for a weapon to break testing your ability to adapt and overcome. Nothing like the pure panic when your last good weapon or shield breaks during a Lionel fight.

I've watched a fair amount of TotK reviews today, and so many talk about weapon degradation as one of, if not the main complaint of BotW, and playing through it I find that I'm way more often having to drop weapons because my inventory is full rather than weapons breaking on me... yes, it can be a bit of a nuisance for a weapon to break in the middle of a combo, but here's a short list of items that I think are far more annoying than weapon degradation:

1. rain. every time I'm trying to climb something it feels like the game says, you're going to need to sit though a storm before you can climb that tower, cliff, etc...

2. horses. first off I don't have the Ancient Saddle so I don't use horses much anyway, but I have the hardest time keeping them from doing something very dumb. having a horse you spent time to catch and try to ride to a stable to register, only to have it decide to gallop off a bridge into a spot it gets completely stuck in when said stable is in view made me want to toss my controller across the room.

3. motion controls. ugh, any shrine you need to control a ball through a maze by tilting the switch/controller can rot in hell.

4. spider Link. why does Link have to start climbing the second he comes into contact with a wall? the amount of times trying to escape a guardian or other enemy, only to get stuck in a quick climbing animation, was way more than I'd care for.

I'm sure there's more but one thing I'd never complain about is the weapon degradation...
I agree with these complaints, and would probably also rank rain above it, but weapon degradation is annoying. Why do I need a minimum of 2 weapons to beat one hard enemy or even more in master mode? Why are some rewards for clearing entire areas of quests pretty good weapons that will also break? Yeah you eventually end up leaving weapons on the ground, but the degradation system is the only reason you need do that inventory management exercise of comparing all 12 weapons you have against a new weapon every time one drops. It definitely adds a different challenge to the game but it's not a super fun one to me.

Edit: maybe I'm extra bitter about it because I just did a master mode playthrough and have found the non up close and personal options @Fillip J Phry mentioned often aren't viable alternatives in that mode.

honestly, rain is probably the least annoying item on the list... bit it's still more annoying than weapon degradation
I think rain would've been better if you could find an item later in the game that made climbing in it possible. I'm not sure forcing me to give up on what I was trying to do and just go do something else is a plus to me. Neat idea for sure.

I've watched a fair amount of TotK reviews today, and so many talk about weapon degradation as one of, if not the main complaint of BotW, and playing through it I find that I'm way more often having to drop weapons because my inventory is full rather than weapons breaking on me... yes, it can be a bit of a nuisance for a weapon to break in the middle of a combo, but here's a short list of items that I think are far more annoying than weapon degradation:

1. rain. every time I'm trying to climb something it feels like the game says, you're going to need to sit though a storm before you can climb that tower, cliff, etc...

2. horses. first off I don't have the Ancient Saddle so I don't use horses much anyway, but I have the hardest time keeping them from doing something very dumb. having a horse you spent time to catch and try to ride to a stable to register, only to have it decide to gallop off a bridge into a spot it gets completely stuck in when said stable is in view made me want to toss my controller across the room.

3. motion controls. ugh, any shrine you need to control a ball through a maze by tilting the switch/controller can rot in hell.

4. spider Link. why does Link have to start climbing the second he comes into contact with a wall? the amount of times trying to escape a guardian or other enemy, only to get stuck in a quick climbing animation, was way more than I'd care for.

I'm sure there's more but one thing I'd never complain about is the weapon degradation...

Hot take: weapon degradation is a great design decision that adds to the combat system more than it takes away. It forces the player to decide if direct combat is necessary, and what weapons they want to risk losing. It also reinforces the idea of finding other solutions to challenges, like sneaking, running past, or using abilities and the environment for your aid. Also helps add variety to the weapons you carry. Finally, it adds a small skill check if you are unprepared for a weapon to break testing your ability to adapt and overcome. Nothing like the pure panic when your last good weapon or shield breaks during a Lionel fight.
100%. Too many games have weapons that don’t break or degrade and you’re just powering through late game with the best weapon. Those games start to get boring after a while. Having to think on your feet, figure out which weapon to use in different scenarios is unique. I’ve also found myself dropping good weapons because I have too many even with a lot of the extra weapon slots.

Amazon is your best bet for release day delivery from a pre-order though.

If your local facility gets stock in tomorrow morning and Amazon delivers themselves in your area, you may just get it late afternoon / early evening.

Pokemon Snap was delivered by Amazon 7:30pm or so on release day when I ordered it through Amazon.
My Amazon preorder is traveling already. Arrives tomorrow.

I think rain would've been better if you could find an item later in the game that made climbing in it possible. I'm not sure forcing me to give up on what I was trying to do and just go do something else is a plus to me. Neat idea for sure.
I agree with this... seems kind of odd for a Zelda game to introduce a challenge without a solution

still no shipping notice from Amazon... starting to think I'm not getting it tomorrow
(edit)
keeping my Amazon order but just put in an in-store pickup pre order as a back up and will just cancel/return one of the orders of both come through tomorrow

Last edited:
Happy TOTK Day! 😄

I'm picking up my copy today at my local Best Buy!
My CE still hasn’t shipped. Is anyone here expecting to get one in today?

I saw an unboxing and it it looks like your receive the regular copy of the game.

Id love for someone to confirm this.

If so I can buy a copy today and return the one that comes in later with todays receipt.

GameStop hasn't shipped mine yet either. "Awaiting product availability" is the current status.
What’s curious is the app sent me “your item has shipped notifications Wednesday afternoon , yet app and website both indicate product availability status.

Guess I will not be getting my plank of wood from GameStop lol

Back