Everything Video Games!

That was the first Direct I've watched in a long long time and.. shame on me for believing the Zelda and Metroid rumors.

Should have been renamed Farming Sim Direct.

The new Fire Emblem looks great though. As does Pikmin 4. And we finally got 20 seconds of footage and a name for the new Zelda.. which was cool I guess.

C7EFB7DA-5F3A-400F-B3AA-364E0D65896D.jpeg

BOTW is probably my pick for gaming’s GOAT, but I hear you. I too was disappointed by Majora’s Mask and to this day was never able to muster to energy to get into that game. But I also can’t picture myself NOT buying BOTW2 there day it comes out. I’ve played through BOTW at least 3 times (once on Master Mode), and its DLC once.

As for the new Fire Emblem, I put about 400 hours into 3H but at first glance I’m not as excited about it. I agree that the graphics look bland (I actually quite liked the visual presentation of 3H). And although there were annoying, grindy aspects to 3H, the game rewarded multiple playthroughs by letting you level up the skills of characters used in previous playthroughs more quickly. That was a nice touch since the game expected players to try out 3 (actually, 4) separate campaigns. I think I ended up playing through it a full 7 times, which is admittedly not healthy.

yea, i have like 800 hours on three houses lmao, i dont even know how that happened

yea, i have like 800 hours on three houses lmao, i dont even know how that happened

See that’s how I was with Fire Emblem Awakening. The summer that I played that I would pull all nighters every night to get time to play it. I don’t know why 3h just doesn’t click with me at all, but I really hope this new one does

As for BOTW I have kinda weird feelings towards it. I think the first 50 or so hours of playing it were some of my favorite gaming experiences in recent memory and really made me feel like a kid again. But after that sense of exploration passed I felt kinda underwhelmed with the game and have never felt the need to go back and play it anymore. Those first 50 hours were a 10/10, after that the game feels more like a 7/10 lol

As for BOTW I have kinda weird feelings towards it. I think the first 50 or so hours of playing it were some of my favorite gaming experiences in recent memory and really made me feel like a kid again. But after that sense of exploration passed I felt kinda underwhelmed with the game and have never felt the need to go back and play it anymore. Those first 50 hours were a 10/10, after that the game feels more like a 7/10 lol
again, I never beat the game so I shouldn't talk... but for me I recall being in temples where I simply couldn't accurately and/or effectively use a skill that was needed. I'm admittedly pretty average at games, but I felt like mechanically it simply couldn't be a 10/10 by anyone's standards...I do actually plan to revisit it soon and give it another go, so I may feel completely different, but I felt like there were some issues with the game that people seemed to not want to talk about.

speaking of...

I just beat Bioshock earlier today after working on it for a while. I know I played it on the Xbox 360 but don't recall if I had beat the game before, but holy fuck I hate played that game.... it sucks. seriously, it fucking sucks. yes, yes, story and atmosphere were wonderful, and again admittedly I'm an average gamer, but that game fucking sucks. I will never understand its appeal

I just beat Bioshock earlier today after working on it for a while. I know I played it on the Xbox 360 but don't recall if I had beat the game before, but holy fuck I hate played that game.... it sucks. seriously, it fucking sucks. yes, yes, story and atmosphere were wonderful, and again admittedly I'm an average gamer, but that game fucking sucks. I will never understand its appeal

giphy.gif

I loved all the Bioshock games especially Infinite. But I will say that the one thing they struggle with is allowing you to breath. There's really no safe spaces in those games, and I know personally with games like that it helps to have a moment to breath, and makes the game more enjoyable. TLOU knew this and sprinkles them throughout. The first couple Bioshock games really didn't. Infinite was a bit better with it, but still not great.

I loved all the Bioshock games especially Infinite. But I will say that the one thing they struggle with is allowing you to breath. There's really no safe spaces in those games, and I know personally with games like that it helps to have a moment to breath, and makes the game more enjoyable. TLOU knew this and sprinkles them throughout. The first couple Bioshock games really didn't. Infinite was a bit better with it, but still not great.
I loved the first two Bioshock games but thought Infinite was too different and criminally short. I think I beat Infinite in just over 10 hours. I kind of wanted more of the same since I really liked the first two so much.

But I do agree there's no place to hide and safe rooms where you can just chill for a little bit

a major gripe of mine which lasted most, if not the entirety of the game. but what makes it worse I found it tricky to locate where the fire was coming from, or at least quick enough to avoid some major damage. I couldn't count the amount of times I was completely flustered not being able to get my bearing as another 2 enemies descended upon me when I just wanted a second to compose myself.

and I don't think any single enemy was particularly difficult, with the exception of the Big Daddies, it just was persistent enough to be a constant annoyance rather than challenge.

I hated how scarce ammo/hype was in contrast to number of enemies. having to resort to the wrench for chunks of the game just felt not-fun, if I could use in conjunction with my magic that was fine, but again it always felt like I was on empty with hype.

fuck the hacking... just fuck that whole mechanic entirely. it wasn't hard, it just wasn't ever fun. thankfully by the end of the game it wasn't an issue as I wasn't in need of auto-hacks.

I hated the progression, it seemed as you get stronger they gated you in different ways. yay, now your magic is selected randomly, so even if you have hype you may be stuck with a worthless magic for a while. fun.

now you're a big daddy so your vision, which I already had a problem locating enemies, is obscured by the helmet. yippee.

it is just terrible combat from jump street and it never gets good. I get that it's an older game but still, I don't get what's so good about it.

oh and the final boss was a joke. I steamrolled over him when I would get killed by the average turret, it just never felt like a fun, good time

again, I never beat the game so I shouldn't talk... but for me I recall being in temples where I simply couldn't accurately and/or effectively use a skill that was needed. I'm admittedly pretty average at games, but I felt like mechanically it simply couldn't be a 10/10 by anyone's standards...I do actually plan to revisit it soon and give it another go, so I may feel completely different, but I felt like there were some issues with the game that people seemed to not want to talk about.

speaking of...

Respect this opinion even if it's wrong🧡

My BotW save is at about 205 hours. Looking at the map and path feature from the DLC there are still some spots I haven't been to yet.

I got really into exploring, upgrading all the armor sets, completing all the shrines, farming Lynels, finding treasure chests, korok seeds, climbing all over everything, etc.

The Champions Ballad was a heck of a challenge.
This is me, I damn near 100% this game. It differs a lot from previous Zelda games in that the story, the dungeons, and "beating it" only account for maybe 20% of what this game has to offer. Exploring, finding questlines, hidden areas, new challenges was absolute crack. If you don't vibe with the world or if you're more comfortable with the traditional formula, then that's cool, you may not have a good time, but if TotK is basically this but fleshed out further I'm sold already.

So the BioShock series is probably my favorite along with Metroid.

The first one was the reason I bought a PS3 back in the day and replayed for the Platinum trophies for the first two.

I think the main thing is to go slow. I never went charging into a room. I slinked around corners. Hugged walls. Used the environments to my advantage. The are some delightfully devilish plasmid and weapon combos to get the drop on baddies. I play almost as a stealth game.

If I was taking on a Big Daddy or Sister. I scouted, set my traps, hacked turrets, etc. I've played each multiple times now and the Big Sister screech still gets my heart rate going. 😅

I savored the story, paused to give each tape a listen and was left with a profoundly touching experience.

Back