Essence of 14

For me that would be 1984. I did not have the most sophisticated taste in music at the time and basically listened to whatever Casey Kasem told me I should be listening to.

It was an epic year in music looking back (at least according to Wikipedia and my iTunes library) but I recall being a huge sap at that age whose loins were stirred more by Lionel Richie's "Hello," Phil Collins' "Against All Odds," and Wham's "Careless Whisper" than by the Purple Rain or Footloose.

I was really just starting to appreciate things that were a little more adventurous (provided "One Night in Bangkok" counts as "adventurous." YMMV) and there are plenty of songs from that year that maybe didn't get me at the time but stirred my loins plenty over the years (Scorpions and Ratt, anyone?) but there is one song from 1984 that I loved then and still unapologetically love now.

Type O Negative. October Rust came out one year before I turned 14 but I discovered them at that age. Bloody Kisses/October Rust. If you know those albums then you know I win. This is a contest, right? Right?!!

Also Essence of 14 sounds like an ill-conceived name for a designer fragrance.

Edit: Ok, I'd like to highlight some tracks. First off, things like "Kill All the White People" - unless you have some paraphilia you need to discuss - are not in line with the bubbling up of hormones. Bloody Kisses: Machine Screw (not subtle), Christian Woman, Black No. 1, the 1-2 punch of their Summer Breeze cover into Set Me on Fire. October Rust: Love You to Death, Green Man, Be My Druidess, My Girlfriend's Girlfriend (such a queer synth line), cover of Cinnamon Girl. Even songs that weren't explicitly in line with this thread, by the sheer weight of being helmed by Peter Steele couldn't help but be sexy and sensual (I'm channeling my inner @NathanRicaud here).

Last edited:
Back