Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Pretty looking thing but this price feels obsceneeeee. Do we think this is a highway robbery product? The plinth is made of glass, not even acrylic. The sound dampening must feel non-existent on this thing. Also I'm actually laughing at the dust cover, what the hell

View attachment 200717

€1300!

I feels like a €300-€400 table given the apparent build, materials and the cartridge they are using…

€1300!

I feels like a €300-€400 table given the apparent build, materials and the cartridge they are using…
InSANITY. That's a $55 cartridge and its made of glass!! Is this thing going to sing like a wine glass when the music gets rumbling?

I'm sure this is about to become the rich man's Crosley though watch. The Transparent Speaker is every instagram fashion influencers favorite speaker.

Would someone give me some good ideas for an intro turntable system for my soon to be 14 year old daughter? She wanted to get a record player for her birthday. I don't want something crummy like a Victrola. I was thinking something that could run audio to some powered speakers. Bluetooth would be nice so she could also stream Spotify to them. I also have a Topping headphones amp that can also power a set of speakers. I was thinking an Audio Technica turntable. There are some options on Amazon that look decent. Just wanted to see if others had some good options. I have some options in my area but given it's Record Store Day tomorrow, I'd rather stay away from them.
LP-120 (whichever variant)
U Turn
Fluance RT series

That’s in the order I’d recommend. LP-120 is super easy to use.
Uturn can be had for slightly less and is upgradable if she’s into tinkering.
Fluance is like a mix of both, upgradable and fairly easy to use.

If it was my daughter/niece I would go LP-120 all day.

Pretty looking thing but this price feels obsceneeeee. Do we think this is a highway robbery product? The plinth is made of glass, not even acrylic. The sound dampening must feel non-existent on this thing. Also I'm actually laughing at the dust cover, what the hell

View attachment 200717
It’s pretty. It’s got a built in phono and one of my least favorite carts of all time. I think they are shooting at a completely different audience than us. Seems like it would look good on the shelf next to that Nintendo contraption you posted yesterday.

It’s pretty. It’s got a built in phono and one of my least favorite carts of all time. I think they are shooting at a completely different audience than us. Seems like it would look good on the shelf next to that Nintendo contraption you posted yesterday.

I actually quite like the higher end of the OM series. The 20, 30 and 40 styli are a good bit better than the 2M blue/bronze/black to my ear. Maybe it’s that they aren’t as hot, but also different stylus profiles. The 5E stylus though, that really is a dog.

I actually quite like the higher end of the OM series. The 20, 30 and 40 styli are a good bit better than the 2M blue/bronze/black to my ear. Maybe it’s that they aren’t as hot, but also different stylus profiles. The 5E stylus though, that really is a dog.
I upgraded to the 10 or the 20, I don’t remember, didn’t like it any better. I had sunk enough into the cart at that time and moved on to grado and have been very happy. When I upgrade my table, I may try a different cart for shits and giggles.

I upgraded to the 10 or the 20, I don’t remember, didn’t like it any better. I had sunk enough into the cart at that time and moved on to grado and have been very happy. When I upgrade my table, I may try a different cart for shits and giggles.

The 10 isn’t great either. It’s the equivalent in that line to the red. They get to have some quite advanced stylus profiles for kinda ok money further on down the line.

I've got the 30 and think it's great.

Would someone give me some good ideas for an intro turntable system for my soon to be 14 year old daughter? She wanted to get a record player for her birthday. I don't want something crummy like a Victrola. I was thinking something that could run audio to some powered speakers. Bluetooth would be nice so she could also stream Spotify to them. I also have a Topping headphones amp that can also power a set of speakers. I was thinking an Audio Technica turntable. There are some options on Amazon that look decent. Just wanted to see if others had some good options. I have some options in my area but given it's Record Store Day tomorrow, I'd rather stay away from them.
Turntable Lab has nice entry level packages at various price points.

Back