End of the world music habits

TrainFan73

Frothy
With COVID 19 slowly putting the entire world on lock down, I was curious. I know that many are working from home and listening to more music than normal. I know that concerts are being cancelled/rescheduled. I know that many of you are purchasing lots of new music because there are a million online sales.

However, I was wondering if you find yourself listening to different music?

I have been listening to a bit more gospel music than normal and while many of you know that I am a Soul and Country Music enthusiast, I find myself not just listening to more of that music, but more of my comfort albums: Marvin Gaye - What's Going On?, Stevie's Songs in the Keys of Life, more modern comfort staples - Childers' Country Squire, Black Pumas, etc.

How has quarantined life/life in the apocalypse changed the music you listen to?

I find it hard to listen to upbeat music. Doing more chill, relaxing, calm-your-ass-down music. One exception: Earl St. Clair's "Potluck"...just too, too good.

Knowing that I could die any day I'm listening exclusively to Highway 61 Revisited.

That's not strictly true but I'm sure I'll subconsciously drift back toward comforting old favourites more often.

I’m actually listening to less music than normal. I listen to a lot on my commute and at my desk at work - those are out, and now when I’m working my main job from home I’m also doing two other jobs (kindergarten teacher and day care worker) at the same time, so can’t throw the cans on. My kids would mutiny if I played “daddy songs” over the Sonos while they’re stuck in the house all day, though we may test their patience when the new Pearl Jam drops on Friday.

Podcasts are also pretty much out.

That said, I am spinning Titus Andronicus’ A Productive Cough while having my coffee right now (very much in line with my habits from The Before Times). A really good album for these days, I’ll be listening to this one a lot I think.

When I've been working from home during the week, finding the jazz and mellow stuff going on more. When the kid is with me, she told me no jazz this morning, so it's a little more rocking. I'm just finding I'm gonna need more records if this lasts a couple months!

Okay, soooooo obviously I am listening to the ROTM's and my exclusives as they arrive to make sure that they work properly.

BUT... I have been SUPER into "bedroom" pop and 60's garage pop since this I was forced to stay home 10 days ago... Mac DeMarco, Jay Som, Caroline Rose, late 60's Beach Boys (particularly the Wild Honey album), ? and the Mysterians...

Also, for some reason, wayyyyyy into Beach Boys again. Besides Wild Honey, I've been loving Today! and 20/20 like they were my job.

I have not really been listening to a lot of music, other than Yumi Zouma's new album. I've been listening to a lot of podcasts, specifically Karl Pilkington, Ricky Gervais and Steve Merchant's old radio program and classic soccer games.

Okay, soooooo obviously I am listening to the ROTM's and my exclusives as they arrive to make sure that they work properly.

BUT... I have been SUPER into "bedroom" pop and 60's garage pop since this I was forced to stay home 10 days ago... Mac DeMarco, Jay Som, Caroline Rose, late 60's Beach Boys (particularly the Wild Honey album), ? and the Mysterians...

Also, for some reason, wayyyyyy into Beach Boys again. Besides Wild Honey, I've been loving Today! and 20/20 like they were my job.
Today! is my second favorite Beach Boys album, it's really, really good.

Also regarding Beach Boys/Bedroom pop, listen to Castlebeat if you have not. CASTLEBEAT, by CASTLEBEAT

Back