Emo/Pop Punk/Hardcore Thread !

i went to almost every single warped tour since 2011 until it ended in 2018, every year was usually pretty fun!! but one of my favorite moments for sure was seeing what was supposed to be the final set of the last day of the last tour. every time i die were playing last on their stage while Pennywise was going to play a little bit after they started, so after the main set from ETID was over and the stage was getting torn down, one of the guitarists kept playing to make it so that ETID didnt technically finish until like 9pm or something. the mosh pits were also pretty insane and straight up bonkers.

I have fond memories of Warped Tour.

I took our kids and their friends to 6 of 'em. We all had equal amounts of fun.

My three best memories -
  • Discovering The Dead 60's. Man, were they great. Sadly, only one record and done.
  • Watching Dropkick Murphys with the kids during a gully-washing downpour and having a blast.
  • The pièce de rèsistance - our son - 13 at the time - was standing along a cordoned walkway leading from the stage to the bus area. Travis Barker comes through shielded by two big bodyguards. "Travis, may I have your autograph?", our son yells. Travis doesn't even give him a look and keeps on walking to which our son snappily replies "You suck!". That was the most punk rock thing I ever saw at any Warped Tour.

My three best memories -
  • Discovering The Dead 60's. Man, were they great. Sadly, only one record and done.
  • Watching Dropkick Murphys with the kids during a gully-washing downpour and having a blast.
  • The pièce de rèsistance - our son - 13 at the time - was standing along a cordoned walkway leading from the stage to the bus area. Travis Barker comes through shielded by two big bodyguards. "Travis, may I have your autograph?", our son yells. Travis doesn't even give him a look and keeps on walking to which our son snappily replies "You suck!". That was the most punk rock thing I ever saw at any Warped Tour.
Wow, I can’t believe you mentioned Dead 60’s. This was my white whale for a few years until I finally bought their LP last
month. Such a kick ass band!

Will post in here soon about some good Warped memories meeting bands and loving life.

My three best memories -

haha, oh yeah the random walk-ins with random musicians!!! i just remembered i did something similar to your son in ‘13. bring me the horizon was about to play, i was chilling by the fenced corner of the parking lot and on the other side of the fence came oliver sykes blasting through on a motorcycle to get to the backstage. when he ran by, i yelled something silly to get his attention but dude was speeding like on a highway lol

Sorry to bring sad news into this thread so soon, but I saw this tonight.

Örs Siklósi, lead singer of the Hungarian post-hardcore band AWS, passed away of Leukemia at the age of 29 last week. AWS represented Hungary at the Eurovision Song Contest in 2018 with the fantastic song Viszlát Nyár. They are one of the very few metal bands to ever make it to the Eurovision stage, and probably the only hardcore/emo band to do so. The band is very underrated, their whole discography is amazing. If you have some time, listen to some of their tracks in his honor.

Made this playlist based off the recs on my post last night! Only did the individual songs posted and not the artists (like rossenstock, twy, and joyce manor) because I wasnt sure what tracks to add for them.

Its collaborative so add any tracks you want to it!!

Third wave emo was huge while I was in high school and while I've always kept up with the scene that never went away, I decided really getting back into it was the music comfort food I needed in this past year. Some stuff I liked during this time:

Enjoyed fun times at Warped from 2002-2004.

Highlight was sneaking back to the band area and joining the Sum41/Pennywise BBQ. Got a dog hot off the grill from Fletcher.

Sum41 was at their height around then, so it was pretty awesome for a 15 year old kid to just be casually standing around them while they drank beers.

Best sets: NOFX, MFATGG, Rancid, AFI, Pepper, Andrew WK

Friendliest celeb: Andrew WK

Weed smoked: A lot

I never made it to a warped tour but I go to Riot Fest every year and my favorite sets are usually the ones from bands I would have caught back then.

Former Warped Tour attendee here. 2002 - 2007. I discovered a lot of great punk bands during that period including NoFX and Bad Religion plus a lot of pop punk bands like the Early November and the Matches. $39.50 CDN for a whole day of punk shows!

One of the best pop punk concerts I ever attended though was Edgefest in August 2001 in Vancouver. Blink 182 headlined and some of the supporting bands included Sum 41, New Found Glory, Jimmy Eat World, and Good Charlotte. They were touring in support of Take Off Your Pants and Jacket, All Killer No Filler, Self-Titled, Bleed American, and Self-Titled, respectively. A 14 year old’s dream come true!

I was into punk, pop-punk, hardcore, and screamo stuff back in the early 90s... I saw Green Day play a local skate park during their Kerplunk tour, got the chance to see bands like Fugazi and Drive Like Jehu in their prime, and was lucky enough to get the chance to hang out in basements watching bands like Born Against, Current, Ordination of Aaron, Hoover, Constantine Sankathi, Union of Uranus, Shotmaker, Avail, Rorschach, and many more.

It was very much a DIY scene at the time, and I still draw a lot of personal lessons from the "let's get it done" spirit that drove the scene.

I don't return to the genres very often these days; when I do, I tend to pull out Clikatat Ikatowi's "Orchestrated and Conducted By," the Shotmaker/Maximillian Colby split 12", various Fugazi records, or the stuff put out by my friends' bands when I'm feeling nostalgic (groups like Wallside, Ordination of Aaron, Broken Hearts are Blue, and Jihad).

Are kids still forming bands and buying cheap vans to travel the country to play shows in other kids' basements and garages? Have the various punk and hardcore genres evolved at all, or does the music still sound basically like it did in the 90s?

I was into punk, pop-punk, hardcore, and screamo stuff back in the early 90s... I saw Green Day play a local skate park during their Kerplunk tour, got the chance to see bands like Fugazi and Drive Like Jehu in their prime, and was lucky enough to get the chance to hang out in basements watching bands like Born Against, Current, Ordination of Aaron, Hoover, Constantine Sankathi, Union of Uranus, Shotmaker, Avail, Rorschach, and many more.

It was very much a DIY scene at the time, and I still draw a lot of personal lessons from the "let's get it done" spirit that drove the scene.

I don't return to the genres very often these days; when I do, I tend to pull out Clikatat Ikatowi's "Orchestrated and Conducted By," the Shotmaker/Maximillian Colby split 12", various Fugazi records, or the stuff put out by my friends' bands when I'm feeling nostalgic (groups like Wallside, Ordination of Aaron, Broken Hearts are Blue, and Jihad).

Are kids still forming bands and buying cheap vans to travel the country to play shows in other kids' basements and garages? Have the various punk and hardcore genres evolved at all, or does the music still sound basically like it did in the 90s?

YES, ABSOLUTELY!!

modern-day hardcore is still embedded in the diy scene thru and thru. rn, it’s obviously taken a hit with covid, but the only way hardcore scene can survive is with local shows. i know for me, in florida, local hardcore bands like Losin it, Blistered, and Axis were popular in the hardcore scene nationwide, but not exactly “ready-to-break-into-semi-mainstream-reach” like hc bands like Turnstile, Angel Dust and Touche Amore. i think the closest instance of something like that happening in my area has been with Gouge Away. I remember seeing gouge away in like their first show in a small warehouse in the middle of suburbian broward county, now Gouge Away have gotten quite popular and were geared to tour with Circa Survive in HOB/fillmore venues across the country last year!!

some videos for reference:

YES, ABSOLUTELY!!

modern-day hardcore is still embedded in the diy scene thru and thru. rn, it’s obviously taken a hit with covid, but the only way hardcore scene can survive is with local shows. i know for me, in florida, local hardcore bands like Losin it, Blistered, and Axis were popular in the hardcore scene nationwide, but not exactly “ready-to-break-into-semi-mainstream-reach” like hc bands like Turnstile, Angel Dust and Touche Amore. i think the closest instance of something like that happening in my area has been with Gouge Away. I remember seeing gouge away in like their first show in a small warehouse in the middle of suburbian broward county, now Gouge Away have gotten quite popular and were geared to tour with Circa Survive in HOB/fillmore venues across the country last year!!

some videos for reference:

I see (well... saw) so many Gouge Away shirts at the shows here in Philly that I though they were from here at first

Thanks for the video links, Santi Chacin. It's interesting to hear what hardcore bands sound like today. Your mention of Florida reminded me of one of the times I tagged along with my friends' bands tours; I was traveling with both Thoughts of Ionesco and Wallside, and we played a show with Assuck and Coalesce at a record store somewhere in Florida. Assuck killed it, as expected: they were amazing every time I saw them. It was a good time!

One of the reasons why I eventually drifted away from hardcore in the late 90s was that the scene was quite conservative musically: nearly every band basically stuck to the same formula and there wasn't much creative evolution or tolerance for new sounds. I also got older, of course, and sought out more varied music as my teenage angst receded. :)

The bands you shared sound almost exactly like what I was listening to in 1995, which I suppose is both good and bad. I'm happy kids still have the outlet I did as a teenager, but I was hoping that the genre would have evolved over the past 25 years.

So here's an interesting question to ponder: why hasn't the genre changed over the past few decades? Most other genres of pop music have evolved in some form during that time period. What makes hardcore and punk different?

Thanks for the video links, Santi Chacin. It's interesting to hear what hardcore bands sound like today. Your mention of Florida reminded me of one of the times I tagged along with my friends' bands tours; I was traveling with both Thoughts of Ionesco and Wallside, and we played a show with Assuck and Coalesce at a record store somewhere in Florida. Assuck killed it, as expected: they were amazing every time I saw them. It was a good time!

One of the reasons why I eventually drifted away from hardcore in the late 90s was that the scene was quite conservative musically: nearly every band basically stuck to the same formula and there wasn't much creative evolution or tolerance for new sounds. I also got older, of course, and sought out more varied music as my teenage angst receded. :)

The bands you shared sound almost exactly like what I was listening to in 1995, which I suppose is both good and bad. I'm happy kids still have the outlet I did as a teenager, but I was hoping that the genre would have evolved over the past 25 years.

So here's an interesting question to ponder: why hasn't the genre changed over the past few decades? Most other genres of pop music have evolved in some form during that time period. What makes hardcore and punk different?

yea, you're definitely right in that the genre itself is p stagnant, and tbh, i personally feel it's bc of the type of crowd that it attracts. most of the prominent hardcore bands are all made up of white cis males. and there are some who may act like they're inclusive, but actually aren't. i think now POC and non-male people are pushing the envelope of the genre, but it's difficult to prove your worth in the hardcore scene if you dont fit in with the stereotyped image that white males have tried to cling in with the genre for so long. not to say that white guys cant make good hardcore music, but i've personally seen from the Florida scene (a place with more minorities in its geography) face adversities.

sooooo, interesting thing i learned this week, although i had been kind of aware of it previously, is that Converge were a super wild and downright "dangerous" band in their live shows in the late '90s, so much so that they've never performed at The Fest in gville fl bc of the liabilities lol.

Back