Elliott Smith

They were largely unfinished, but the album as a whole still does an amazing job of capturing early era Elliott. Most of the credit is attributed to Larry Crane, archivist of Elliott's estate, who mixed New Moon, supervised the mastering, helped with the sequencing, and wrote part of the liner notes.

FWIW, Larry is a bit of a wizard, and has produced and/or mixed some of the best albums by Elliott, Sleater-Kinney, The Decemberists, Dandy Warhols, Jason Lytle, Jolie Holland, She & Him, Quasi, Richmond Fontaine, Wooden Shjips,The Shins, and many more. He and Elliott started Jackpot! Studio together.

And it's obviously personal preference. I like Figure 8, but the production just makes me want to go back to early era Elliott.

In any case, for vinyl shops I would definitely plan to get to Mississippi Records and 2nd Avenue Records. There are other worthy shops around town, but those two meet 95% of my needs.

As for restaurants, that could take a while to answer. Let me know if you are looking for any specific types of cuisine. If more of a general ask, I can share a few favorites. What part of town will you be staying in?
Northeast of Downtown (Roseway). My son is partial to Italian.
I'll make sure that both shops are on the itinerary.

I hear you on the production.
Other than Almost Over, I think the strongest songs/versions made the studio albums but you cant go wrong with Elliott and a guitar alone.
I'm going to be digging into the recording vault you posted for sure.

Northeast of Downtown (Roseway). My son is partial to Italian.
I'll make sure that both shops are on the itinerary.

I hear you on the production.
Other than Almost Over, I think the strongest songs/versions made the studio albums but you cant go wrong with Elliott and a guitar alone.
I'm going to be digging into the recording vault you posted for sure.
If you are staying in NE Portland, you might as well add a stop at Music Millennium. Probably the best known record shop in Portland, and respected by many from elsewhere. Their service has slipped a bit, in my opinion, but still worth a visit. Also, the original Jackpot! recording studio - where XO and many others were recorded - was at 1925 SE Morrison (has since moved to a larger location). You may end up driving right by it if you find yourself In SE Portland. This article offers some cool history/context:

As for restaurants, Roseway is a bit futher out, so I haven't really eaten at any local spots. If you make it closer to downtown, I've heard good things about Gumba (Italian) at 1733 NE Alberta. Lovely's Fifty-Fifty (N. Mississippi, close to Mississippi Records), Apizza Scholls (SE Hawthorne) and Ken's Artisan (SE 28th) are all great for wood-fired pizza. And St. Jack in NW Portland is one of my favorites. More French than Italian, but so solid and really worth a visit.

Also, depending on where you find yourselves, anything on this list is probably worth a visit:

Feel free to DM me if you want any other ideas/suggestions.

If you are staying in NE Portland, you might as well add a stop at Music Millennium. Probably the best known record shop in Portland, and respected by many from elsewhere. Their service has slipped a bit, in my opinion, but still worth a visit. Also, the original Jackpot! recording studio - where XO and many others were recorded - was at 1925 SE Morrison (has since moved to a larger location). You may end up driving right by it if you find yourself In SE Portland. This article offers some cool history/context:

As for restaurants, Roseway is a bit futher out, so I haven't really eaten at any local spots. If you make it closer to downtown, I've heard good things about Gumba (Italian) at 1733 NE Alberta. Lovely's Fifty-Fifty (N. Mississippi, close to Mississippi Records), Apizza Scholls (SE Hawthorne) and Ken's Artisan (SE 28th) are all great for wood-fired pizza. And St. Jack in NW Portland is one of my favorites. More French than Italian, but so solid and really worth a visit.

Also, depending on where you find yourselves, anything on this list is probably worth a visit:

Feel free to DM me if you want any other ideas/suggestions.
I’m gonna have come back soon - not sure I can fit all this in! Thanks! 🍻

These sold out before I could get this post up….sorry.

This is not a vinyl offering…but might be worth picking up for your phone/car:

These sold out before I could get this post up….sorry.

Were you able to grab either? I don't have Roman Candle yet, so that would have been appealing.

I just bought something (non-Elliott) from KRS last week, but sadly didn't get the email announcing these. Oh well.

Were you able to grab either? I don't have Roman Candle yet, so that would have been appealing.

I just bought something (non-Elliott) from KRS last week, but sadly didn't get the email announcing these. Oh well.
I did not. Went to grab the Roman Candle myself and it was gone.

Only 91 of these. I just grabbed one, only 7 left...

0027605879_10.jpg

Back