Elliott Smith

hatfieldpdx

First posted this over in pre-orders, given that I couldn't find an Elliott Smith thread. Now that there is one, cross-posting here.
---
Is there an Elliott Smith thread? I can't find one, and should probably remedy that. In the meantime, not a pre-order but some generous soul has uploaded 240 recordings (some of them pretty rough, ranging from unlistenable to decent, but there are a few worthy gems) of Elliott Smith concerts from 1995-2003 to Bandcamp. All shows are free to stream or download. Enjoy!

Last edited:
We can build some momentum by posting favorite discoveries. I'm partial to the 2-29-00 show at Satyricon. A bit of crowd noise, but it's a great recording and his voice sounds strong. He had moved to L.A. at this point, so this show was a bit of a homecoming for the Portland boy after the success of XO. I was living in Colorado at the time, so missed this one, but was lucky enough to see Elliott a number of times at La Luna and other venues in the 90's (great to have those show, but the recording quality leaves a bit to be desired on most).

First full length from New Orleans artist Steph Green (who used to record under the moniker Carver Baronda) is up for pre-order, out in January.

Steph Green - Thanks for That

I hear you. I got it when it was first released.
It is reported to be the best of the lot, but I've not compared it to any others.
I looked into that one a few years back on their website but even then it was going to be like $75+ for a iffy pressing so I couldn't pull the trigger. The quality on the most recent self titled reissue has me hoping we're in for a proper re-release of XO and Either/Or. My Either/Or is Newbury and although the mastering is good the pressing is garbage, full of pops and clicks.

I looked into that one a few years back on their website but even then it was going to be like $75+ for a iffy pressing so I couldn't pull the trigger. The quality on the most recent self titled reissue has me hoping we're in for a proper re-release of XO and Either/Or. My Either/Or is Newbury and although the mastering is good the pressing is garbage, full of pops and clicks.
I have the 2017 Expanded Edition. It will do - but I’m always looking for an OG and also a quieter version.

For Roman Candle/ST/EitherOr I have the 2010 European pressings done by domino under licence from his estate. Gotta say I’m really impressed by all 3.

Haven’t touched anything after on vinyl due to the horror stories of the Geffen pressings but the 2017 European ones seem to get ok reviews (yeah I know ok is nothing to write home about but plainly better than the poundings the US pressings get).

Either/Or #1 for me - mostly for sentimental reasons - but that is my only quibble. Also, where do you slot in New Moon? I might have it above Figure 8.
It’s a Compilation, and I’m kind of a stickler about Comps, so I have it on its own.

The Thirteen Cover is THE best cover of any of the 100’s that have been done.
The early Miss Misery is great b/c of the sparse the arrangement.
I love the minor chord changes on Seen How Things Are Hard.
I wish he used that organ sound on Fear City more across the discography.

The guitar on Almost Over slays. It’s probably my favorite song on the album.
But, if forced to slot it in to the rankings, it’d still have to go after the S/T. I can’t let Needle in the Hay & Coming Up Roses fall into 5th.

It’s a Compilation, and I’m kind of a stickler about Comps, so I have it on its own.

The Thirteen Cover is THE best cover of any of the 100’s that have been done.
The early Miss Misery is great b/c of the sparse the arrangement.
I love the minor chord changes on Seen How Things Are Hard.
I wish he used that organ sound on Fear City more across the discography.

The guitar on Almost Over slays. It’s probably my favorite song on the album.
But, if forced to slot it in to the rankings, it’d still have to go after the S/T. I can’t let Needle in the Hay & Coming Up Roses fall into 5th.
I hear you. If pressed, I would also slot it behind the S/T, but still ahead of Figure 8. So I guess I need to take another pass:

1. Either/Or
2. XO
3. Elliott Smith
4. New Moon
5. Figure 8
6. Roman Candle
7. From a Basement on the Hill

I hear you. If pressed, I would also slot it behind the S/T, but still ahead of Figure 8. So I guess I need to take another pass:

1. Either/Or
2. XO
3. Elliott Smith
4. New Moon
5. Figure 8
6. Roman Candle
7. From a Basement on the Hill
Mostly most of the songs on New Moon sound unfinished to my ears.

For example, Pretty Mary K on Figure 8 has that White Album organ sound and layering on the background vocals which, IMO, takes the song up 3 notches. Particularly when I have the headphones on.
The New Moon version is sonically in line with his early sound - but because I know what it could be It just makes me want to go back to the Figure 8 album.

BTW, I see your moniker & I'm headed to Portland next week for the first time.
My sister moved there.
Any recommendations on: Restaurants & Vinyl Shops ?

Last edited:
Mostly most of the songs on New Moon sound unfinished to my ears.

For example, Pretty Mary K has that White Album organ sound and layering on the background vocals which, IMO, takes the song up 3 notches. Particularly when I have the headphones on.
The New Moon version is sonically in line with his early sound - but because I know what it could be It just makes me want to go back to the Figure 8 album.

BTW, I see your moniker & I'm headed to Portland next week for the first time.
My sister moved there.
Any recommendations on: Restaurants & Vinyl Shops ?
They were largely unfinished, but the album as a whole still does an amazing job of capturing early era Elliott. Most of the credit is attributed to Larry Crane, archivist of Elliott's estate, who mixed New Moon, supervised the mastering, helped with the sequencing, and wrote part of the liner notes.

FWIW, Larry is a bit of a wizard, and has produced and/or mixed some of the best albums by Elliott, Sleater-Kinney, The Decemberists, Dandy Warhols, Jason Lytle, Jolie Holland, She & Him, Quasi, Richmond Fontaine, Wooden Shjips,The Shins, and many more. He and Elliott started Jackpot! Studio together.

And it's obviously personal preference. I like Figure 8, but the production just makes me want to go back to early era Elliott.

In any case, for vinyl shops I would definitely plan to get to Mississippi Records and 2nd Avenue Records. There are other worthy shops around town, but those two meet 95% of my needs.

As for restaurants, that could take a while to answer. Let me know if you are looking for any specific types of cuisine. If more of a general ask, I can share a few favorites. What part of town will you be staying in?

Back