Earthquake in NJ

Thanks all is well, but such an odd experience. I thought my furnace was exploding or something. Then I looked out to the street to see if a tank was rumbling by… it was a confusing 30 seconds or so. 😂
Yeah, we had unexpected (and not communicated) water issues this morning. I flushed the toilet and thought it was going to explode and was preparing myself mentally for changing out the guts. Then I noticed air and discoloration in the faucets too.

However, 4.8 earthquake is probably a bigger deal.

Yeah, we had unexpected (and not communicated) water issues this morning. I flushed the toilet and thought it was going to explode and was preparing myself mentally for changing out the guts. Then I noticed air and discoloration in the faucets too.

However, 4.8 earthquake is probably a bigger deal.
I don’t know.. an exploding toilet ain’t great! 😂

Thanks all is well, but such an odd experience. I thought my furnace was exploding or something. Then I looked out to the street to see if a tank was rumbling by… it was a confusing 30 seconds or so. 😂
I remember having the same train of thought during the East Coast earthquake a few years back. For about 15 seconds I was looking around the office like 'Is there a convoy driving by or something?' before my California kid instincts kicked in and I rolled my chair over to a door frame.

this was me as well! I'm in Westchester, NY

at first I though it was trucks because a tree fell into my nextdoor neighbor's yard from Wed's storm. then when I saw nothing out the front or back of my house I was sure something in my house was about to explode

the relief I felt when I got a couple of texts from friends and family that it was an earthquake .. ha ha

When we felt the one that his Seattle back in the mid/late 90s we thought it was the little 3-6 car train that went by our place all the time because you could usually feel it before you could hear it, but then we never heard it and got really confused until we figured out it was a quake, at which point Mom got very scared and teenage me was like, "COOL!"

Craziest part was the neighbours between our place and the train tracks didn't feel a thing at all. (And at school the next day it seemed about 50/50 for who felt it and who didn't.)

Epicenter was about 15 miles north of me. At first I thought it was a low flying helicopter, but this time the entire house was shaking rather than just the windows rattling. Seemed to last between 15-20 seconds, my dog followed me out to the front porch and then onto the back deck. That's the first one I've ever felt and known it was an earthquake - there have been smaller ones around here where I felt rumbling, but didn't realize it was a quake.

I will say that the National Cathedral in DC sustained some damage in the 2011 quake that took many years to repair. But yeah, could have been much worse.
I felt that one but had no clue that it was an earthquake at the time. Our windows rattled a bit, but that does happen from time to time when helicopters fly overhead, so I thought nothing of it (even though there were no copters flying at the time)

1712342236216.png

One of my coworkers in NJ got this alert on his phone.

Various police departments and cities across the region had to put out a public statement to say they are aware there was an earthquake and do not call 911. 911 systems exceeded their capacity of people calling in to report that they had felt an earthquake. This is a problem because people with true, life threatening emergencies couldn't get through.

This always happens. I have never understood the instinct to call 911 to report feeling an earthquake, or reporting you heard an explosion when there was a sonic boom. Are you safe? Is everyone you know safe? Why are you calling?

View attachment 199649

One of my coworkers in NJ got this alert on his phone.

Various police departments and cities across the region had to put out a public statement to say they are aware there was an earthquake and do not call 911. 911 systems exceeded their capacity of people calling in to report that they had felt an earthquake. This is a problem because people with true, life threatening emergencies couldn't get through.

This always happens. I have never understood the instinct to call 911 to report feeling an earthquake, or reporting you heard an explosion when there was a sonic boom. Are you safe? Is everyone you know safe? Why are you calling?
No text alert but we did receive a robocall to our landline (yes, I keep one so I don't have to give out my cell to utilities etc) Same message, there was an earthquake, no reports of major damage and please don't call 911. 🙄

I've only experienced one earthquake in my life and I did not like the feel of it to be honest. I felt this one in SE Nebraska back in 2016.

Back