Does sunlight cause records to warp?

Fixxman32

I live in Norway, where we get sunlight intru the window during the spring / fall. My records are in a rack at the opppsite side of the room, and now in late march for about 10-20 minutes the sun shines on the spines of the record covers

Will this be bad for the 10 - 15 days where the sun sets? Its not direct, as there are trees in the suns path, but there is afternoon sunlight that hits the rack.

Through the window all the way to the opposite side of the room? Sure, over time the spines may fade (but 10-20 minutes exposure a day for a few months, would take many years), but there isn't nearly enough heat coming through at that distance to do anything at all to warp the vinyl. .

I say you're fine given the specifics but if you're still concerned you could just drape a sheet or something over the rack especially if it's only 10-15 days out of the year.

You coooooould also set up a mirror in front of that rack and give that pesky sun a taste of it's own medicine! 🖕🙅‍♂️

Through the window all the way to the opposite side of the room? Sure, over time the spines may fade (but 10-20 minutes exposure a day for a few months, would take many years), but there isn't nearly enough heat coming through at that distance to do anything at all to warp the vinyl. .
Thanks for the info! 🙂

I say you're fine given the specifics but if you're still concerned you could just drape a sheet or something over the rack especially if it's only 10-15 days out of the year.

You coooooould also set up a mirror in front of that rack and give that pesky sun a taste of it's own medicine! 🖕🙅‍♂️
Done that now, but since its apparently no danger i might drop it.
Haha yes 😂 Will place a mirror there 😄

Back