Denafrips Ares II opinions needed

AnthonyI

Hey all, wasn't actively looking for a DAC, but came across an opportunity to pick up a Ares II at a really good price. I've got a Schiit Modi Multibit 2 connected to my transport and it's fine, my CD listening isn't overtaking my vinyl listening at this point, but, I'm never one to pass on a good deal.

I'm pretty sure I've seen a few folks talking, and or owning a Ares II, so I'm looking for some opinions/input.

I assume it's a good deal because it's an old model now. but you can get the new firmware update that people seem to like. i haven't gotten around to it yet.

The Ares II got updated to the Ares 12th and the old Ares II is now called the Enyo I think. Don't entirely remember the differences between them. I haven't had any Schiit stuff so can't compare.

It's a piece that seems "overly" hyped, so I'm just making sure it's not just sponsored reviewer hype is all. ;)
what kinda price are we talkin on it? I think I paid $650 for mine like new.

i've definitely considered upgrading to the Pontus at some point but a new DAC is lower on my priority list at the moment. I'd move my Ares to my office setup where I currently have a Singxer SDA-2.

what kinda price are we talkin on it? I think I paid $650 for mine like new.

i've definitely considered upgrading to the Pontus at some point but a new DAC is lower on my priority list at the moment. I'd move my Ares to my office setup where I currently have a Singxer SDA-2.
I think I can get it for $550ish, like new in it's original box and so on

I think I can get it for $550ish, like new in it's original box and so on
i'd go for it. if you don't like it for some reason, i'm sure you could sell it for what you paid. maybe ask when they bought it? the original firmware was great on it. they released an update that some people didn't like, then released another update that people loved, which is the most recent. you can upgrade the firmware yourself but just need to email Denafrips to get the proper info on which firmware to use and how to upgrade it to the latest.

Back