Definitive Audiophile pressings

Yes I was pretty disappointed in the quality control and mastering of the ones I got in that series.
It sound ok. Like Mike said it's not awesome. It's not audiophile. However, it's a live recording from essentially a dive bar (which has a crazy history going from jazz bar to strip club) and it's a fun listen.

Thanks. It really is a disappointment how little they seem to actually care about the quality vs. the marketing.

Separately: I heard that MoFi did a pressing of Billy Joel's 52nd Street but it was back in 2013/2014? Do we know if those are hard to find?

(asking for a friend....)
Ummm...did you get the most recent MOFI email???

It sound ok. Like Mike said it's not awesome. It's not audiophile. However, it's a live recording from essentially a dive bar (which has a crazy history going from jazz bar to strip club) and it's a fun listen.
@HuddieLedbetter yes I agree with this. I’d say if you can find it at a decent price it’s a fun listen. But I also think it’s on streaming so could check it out that way too

@HuddieLedbetter yes I agree with this. I’d say if you can find it at a decent price it’s a fun listen. But I also think it’s on streaming so could check it out that way too
Thanks. I'd listened to the streaming and got all excited about the vinyl, Blue Note, KG -- and then saw Third Man and took a closer look and thought to ask the group.

At this point, I'm trying to not buy vinyl that is a breakeven experience with streaming. (by experience, I'm inclusive of the joy and focus of putting on a record, the presentation of the album, if the music significant benefits from the forced break in-between sides... for example, Eric Dolphy for me works wonderfully on vinyl as does Fugazi, but they are both less joyful in a 60 minutes block and conversely some of the 45rpm with 5min one side get less play....and the naturally the sound. Note: I've also been known to listen to Bitches Brew on repeat while working, so perhaps I'm just full of it -- and I've also got a lot of records that need to be cleaned and played, so this all could just be guilt and redirection)

My frustration though with Third Man hit new levels with their Paramount Blues boxes. Which are wonderful -- and the sound clearly came 3rd in their process to packaging, which is a heartbreak as the music itself can be extraordinary and would have been a true gift to the historical record to master properly, etc. For a person with remarkable resources at his disposal and I believe an authentic care for music -- he really runs a lousy record label / pressing company and appears to firmly believe that people just want the tchotchke experience of a record.

Also, I'm so excited to hear about 52nd Street. I'll definitely be watching for their emails. Does MoFi have a website?

Thanks. I'd listened to the streaming and got all excited about the vinyl, Blue Note, KG -- and then saw Third Man and took a closer look and thought to ask the group.

At this point, I'm trying to not buy vinyl that is a breakeven experience with streaming. (by experience, I'm inclusive of the joy and focus of putting on a record, the presentation of the album, if the music significant benefits from the forced break in-between sides... for example, Eric Dolphy for me works wonderfully on vinyl as does Fugazi, but they are both less joyful in a 60 minutes block and conversely some of the 45rpm with 5min one side get less play....and the naturally the sound. Note: I've also been known to listen to Bitches Brew on repeat while working, so perhaps I'm just full of it -- and I've also got a lot of records that need to be cleaned and played, so this all could just be guilt and redirection)

My frustration though with Third Man hit new levels with their Paramount Blues boxes. Which are wonderful -- and the sound clearly came 3rd in their process to packaging, which is a heartbreak as the music itself can be extraordinary and would have been a true gift to the historical record to master properly, etc. For a person with remarkable resources at his disposal and I believe an authentic care for music -- he really runs a lousy record label / pressing company and appears to firmly believe that people just want the tchotchke experience of a record.

Also, I'm so excited to hear about 52nd Street. I'll definitely be watching for their emails. Does MoFi have a website?
Yea this one’s a streamer for me. The session is smoking. I’d say it’s on par or just below the VBR series which I’ve also disliked

For a person with remarkable resources at his disposal and I believe an authentic care for music -- he really runs a lousy record label / pressing company and appears to firmly believe that people just want the tchotchke experience of a record.
Exactly this. Yes. I believe people that actually buy LPs to listen to them and try to get the absolute most out of the format (from an audio standpoint) realize this.

TMR has that image though. Local record stores hype it up too. Jack White and TMR are the saviors of this era of vinyl records. They're responsible for its "rebirth". All that new equipment and that flashy yellow factory. Yet they continue to churn out mediocre sounding records.

Exactly this. Yes. I believe people that actually buy LPs to listen to them and try to get the absolute most out of the format (from an audio standpoint) realize this.

TMR has that image though. Local record stores hype it up too. Jack White and TMR are the saviors of this era of vinyl records. They're responsible for its "rebirth". All that new equipment and that flashy yellow factory. Yet they continue to churn out mediocre sounding records.
Jack white learned everything he knows about running a plant from United and it shows.

I got one in 2013 if that is any help?
Thanks. It really is a disappointment how little they seem to actually care about the quality vs. the marketing.

Separately: I heard that MoFi did a pressing of Billy Joel's 52nd Street but it was back in 2013/2014? Do we know if those are hard to find?

(asking for a friend....)

Back