Definitive Audiophile pressings

Strangely enough the separate Bilbo listing has around the same median value however there's like WAY less of them of course. But either way that's good info thanks, I'll keep my eyes open. The only reason I ask is that if yours sounds great and doesn't have the Bilbo etching then I'll keep an eye out for both versions. Makes it easier.

I suspect if you message most sellers on the old page they are probably selling Bilbo variants. I didn't notice there was a new page created.

I suspect if you message most sellers on the old page they are probably selling Bilbo variants. I didn't notice there was a new page created.
Yeah that was kinda what I was thinking, I'll definitely check if I come across a good listing.

I probably shouldn’t ask, but what’s the link to the website?

I am selling some thrash metal promos and may have some mad money to play with.
A small Christmas parcel has arrived from Record City. Hoping all of these will be definitive enough to justify the purchase! Most interesting (to me) is that I've never heard either of The Rain Parade or the Tommy Bolin albums. Nantucket Sleighride is one of those favorites I've owned a lot of copies of over the years and figured one more couldn't hurt. Not sure what my thinking was on the Beatles comp other than that it's cool, with extras (2 booklets and a poster) I hadn't remembered from the listing.

View attachment 162384

cheaper from there than their discogs, although you can look at their discogs to see if they have anything from your wantlist and then search for it on their site.

cheaper from there than their discogs, although you can look at their discogs to see if they have anything from your wantlist and then search for it on their site.
Domo arigato

Haha! @MikeH beat me to it!

One nice thing (or a nightmare, depending on how you look at it) is that if you scroll down on that home page, on the left-hand side you'll come to a section headed "Recent Arrivals" and you can filter by date of appearance on the website. For example, the link for today (with only 7,674 new listings): 2022/12/29 (7674) Once you're on that page, you also can filter by genre, format, country of pressing, etc.

Good luck!

EDIT: Damn, looks like I placed 15 orders this year. :cool:

That series was quite good. Need to see what others I can pick up from it that are still affordable. I have Imagine and I think one or two others that all sounded awesome
Off the top of my head I think I have the Bowie, a few Syd Barrets, DSOTM, and Band on the Run.

All but the DSOTM are my go-to’s and at a fair price that DSOTM is still very good.

It's really just Hunky Dory that I'm kinda disappointed with. I have the 2017 Parlophone and I just find it kinda lifeless.
The HD tapes were in terrible condition when they did the box set. With headphones you can tape wow and flutter. Be careful with the Ryko's. The clear pressings can sound a bit shrill I found. The Canadian black vinyl sounds good from what I remember. Probably one of the better versions.

Looking for a last minute Christmas present for a loved one??

2 available!

IMG_20221229_155652.jpg
Wow what a discount! Too bad its only $40 on mofi.

Hey @Mather ,
Looks like a Beck Sea Change repress is turning up at several shops in the US. I believe you were looking for this one. Last pressing was outta Pallas and quite exceptional. Havent heard the MoFi, but cant imagine it trounces the Pallas given the price points of each.

View attachment 162455
Thanks mate I actually have it pre ordered with Bezos right now just on the off chance it isn't Pallas. But I'm checking my locals too

Yeah I'm very much looking at the whole diminishing returns situation on this one. I know this record isn't exactly a sonic masterpiece so I'm not certain it's worth shelling out to try to better the 2017. The Rykos are within reach as are the Italian ones. Buuuuut... I dunno...
Poke around for an early 1970s UK press. They do tend to rise in price quickly based on condition. Perhaps an under-graded VG or VG+ will pop up. Nothing I see under $50 shipped to the US.

I have a pretty decent copy of this I got cheap about 5 years ago. Sounds great to my old ears.

Yeah that's what I feel about the 2017, fine but not fantastic. But I ain't shelling out for that EMI100 @ $400 so I may just live with it. Even the 2nd and 3rd JPs are up over $100+.
I have the 2016 repress/remaster from Parlophone and it sounds really nice, not an "audiophile" pressing, but to your point, not worth investing big on a replacement for an incremental "upgrade"

Okay so general buying question. What do you guys do, when you are interested in a cogs listing and you can tell it's a store selling it so you pretty much know all grading is going to be visual. Do you ask them to listen to it or do you just trust the visual grading? Because I do not trust visual grading but I also understand why a webstore or big volume seller obviously can't listen to everything they list.

I'm looking at something right now. It's listed as "MINT", I ask if it's sealed or been played and he says it's not sealed but "it looks mint". But he's never played it. But this guy has 195 reviews and 100% rating. But I feel very strange dropping like $100 on "it looks mint". With only 195 reviews he's clearly not a huge seller but he also clearly isn't just selling his own collection...

Okay so general buying question. What do you guys do, when you are interested in a cogs listing and you can tell it's a store selling it so you pretty much know all grading is going to be visual. Do you ask them to listen to it or do you just trust the visual grading? Because I do not trust visual grading but I also understand why a webstore or big volume seller obviously can't listen to everything they list.

I'm looking at something right now. It's listed as "MINT", I ask if it's sealed or been played and he says it's not sealed but "it looks mint". But he's never played it. But this guy has 195 reviews and 100% rating. But I feel very strange dropping like $100 on "it looks mint". With only 195 reviews he's clearly not a huge seller but he also clearly isn't just selling his own collection...

Discogs themselves say something like theoretically there can be no such thing as a true "mint" record.

I think it's fair to assume that isn't mint - i do ask sellers to play test if I'm concerned and it's a big ticket item. Most times they oblige but I still assume the best you're going to get is NM or realistically EX (if it's not sealed).

Back