Definitive Audiophile pressings

So back to Japanese pressing talk... these arrived today. They're now cleaned and ready to spin. All look essentially brand new, it's crazy. I definitely selected better this time - everything was EX/EX/EX except the T Rex which was EX/VG+/VG+. Quick needle drops also suggest they all play back cleanly too. I'll spin attentively over the next few days.

View attachment 110795
It is crazy. Not perfect, but more often than not the condition of the vinyl and jacket, and the extras that come with many of their pressings, is stunning and time-capsule freaky. Enjoy!

I don't mind paying a couple of extra bucks for the obi. My way of thinking is if the obi is still there some 40+ years later, then the record was probably well taken care of.
I agree if it's a couple of extra bucks. But for one title I am considering, a VG+ obi increases the price from $50 without to $135 with, which is ridiculous.

Last edited:
I don't mind paying a couple of extra bucks for the obi. My way of thinking is if the obi is still there some 40+ years later, then the record was probably well taken care of.

That's the philosophy I went with this time too, although I didn't spend much on any of the records I picked up. I also selected late 70's editions for T Rex and Roxy Music, just to be safer with the age. The whole batch is a huge step up from the last. That Phil Collins even had the shrink still on and it sounds like new.

All of mine arrived now. I mixed up some I've posted before. I haven't had a chance to listen to all of them. They seem to be a bit of a mixed bag

Shelly Manne sounds the most audiophile so far but has a loud pop, I need to dislodge a piece of grit.

Initial impressions are that the EA Beatles are better than the AP's, which the people over at Hoffman seem to all say the other way round.

Screenshot 2021-09-02 at 20.17.05.png

Screenshot 2021-09-02 at 20.17.15.png

Screenshot 2021-09-02 at 20.17.28.png

edit- Abbey Road has a few crackles through it but sounds fantastic

edit - I need to do more listening on the Beatles Abbey Road AP & EA both sound great

Last edited:
You weren't wrong. Luckily it's lived up to the grading, sounds fantastic.

Which version of Some Girls is it? That’s probably the last Stones one left that I’m not happy with my pressing of. Was looking at the mofi but struggling to justify the €€€

This one ESS
Thanks, sticky fingers was a little too spendy but had to pick up some girls. Another order in :)

Stevie Wonder - Fulfillingness' First Finale (MOTOWN) (SWX6141) (781637)
Stevie Wonder - Hotter Than July (MOTOWN) (VIP6748) (872727)
Rolling Stones - Some Girls (ROLLING STONES) (ESS81050) (874597)
Beatles - Let It Be (APPLE) (EAS80561) (876680)

Which version of Some Girls is it? That’s probably the last Stones one left that I’m not happy with my pressing of. Was looking at the mofi but struggling to justify the €€€

It sounds great, obviously I've never heard the moFi, but I have no urge to get a different copy. I can't believe how cheap it goes for really.

It sounds great, obviously I've never heard the motif, but I have no urge to get a different copy. I can't believe how cheap it got for really.

Yeah I have the crappy 2010 pressing of it. Record City have another EX/EX for about $19…

Damn I was going to wait until late October before I put though another order but I don’t want miss this and have to make it big enough to justify shipping… Damn!

😂😂😂

Yeah I have the crappy 2010 pressing of it. Record City have another EX/EX for about $19…

Damn I was going to wait until late October before I put though another order but I don’t want miss this and have to make it big enough to justify shipping… Damn!

😂😂😂

I went through the exact same thinking last week, but hey...we all need some girls

I went through the exact same thinking last week, but hey...we all need some girls

Yes but I now have 15 records in my cart there…

We really do, it’s a fantastic album and my copy is so dull, it’s the only one of the disappointing 2010 reissues that I’ve yet to replace!

Damn!

It sounds great, obviously I've never heard the moFi, but I have no urge to get a different copy. I can't believe how cheap it goes for really.
Does it have the die-cut outer and pre-lawsuit inner with all the celebrity faces?

Welp - another order placed with Record City. That oughta be it for a little while...

Led Zeppelin - Coda (SWAN SONG) (P11319) (850662)
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II (ATLANTIC) (P8042A) (889562)
Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother (EMI) (EMS80320) (879457)
Beatles - Beatles For Sale (ODEON) (TOJP7074) (617585)
Police - Synchronicity (A&M) (AMP28075) (768644)
Stevie Wonder - Innervisions (TAMLA MOTOWN) (SWX6039) (802398)
Art Blakey - A Night In Tunisia (BLUE NOTE) (BST84049/GXK8041) (874224)
Beatles - Help (APPLE) (EAS80554) (750281)
Led Zeppelin - In Through The Out Door (SWAN SONG) (P10726N) (874149)

Welp - another order placed with Record City. That oughta be it for a little while...

Led Zeppelin - Coda (SWAN SONG) (P11319) (850662)
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II (ATLANTIC) (P8042A) (889562)
Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother (EMI) (EMS80320) (879457)
Beatles - Beatles For Sale (ODEON) (TOJP7074) (617585)
Police - Synchronicity (A&M) (AMP28075) (768644)
Stevie Wonder - Innervisions (TAMLA MOTOWN) (SWX6039) (802398)
Art Blakey - A Night In Tunisia (BLUE NOTE) (BST84049/GXK8041) (874224)
Beatles - Help (APPLE) (EAS80554) (750281)
Led Zeppelin - In Through The Out Door (SWAN SONG) (P10726N) (874149)

Its a good job you bought that Art Blakey, if I's have seen it I would have been very tempted to put in another order

Back