Definitive Audiophile pressings

First disappointing thing from Record City. I ordered an EX/VG Speaker's Corner copy of Mahavishnu Orchestra's Birds of Fire and they sent me a dirty old US pressing. I'm hopeful that they'll send me the right one or at least a refund shouldn't be a problem cause this one can be had from the dollar bin for the condition it's in. The other records in the order were in great shape. One marked as EX/EX has a sizable scratch on the wax, but I've play tested it and it doesn't effect playback, so I don't care especially since it was only $7.

First disappointing thing from Record City. I ordered an EX/VG Speaker's Corner copy of Mahavishnu Orchestra's Birds of Fire and they sent me a dirty old US pressing. I'm hopeful that they'll send me the right one or at least a refund shouldn't be a problem cause this one can be had from the dollar bin for the condition it's in.
Since they have so many items in stock, this is my fear when I order from them. I always check right away to see it is the correct version.

Never happened with RCJP but I had this happen twice with other retailers and both were Speakers Corner copies. The first (Canadian seller) sent me a replacement at no cost and let me keep the first item. The other was from Germany and just offered me a full refund.

Since they have so many items in stock, this is my fear when I order from them. I always check right away to see it is the correct version.

Never happened with RCJP but I had this happen twice with other retailers and both were Speakers Corner copies. The first (Canadian seller) sent me a replacement at no cost and let me keep the first item. The other was from Germany and just offered me a full refund.
Out of 50 records from RCJP this was a first, so not a bad track record. Just a bummer because this was a pressing I've been on the look out for!

Not sure where to post this, but, since we have too many opportunities to complain about customer service, I thought I’d mention a good CS experience with Run Out Groove.

I bought the Mingus @ Carnegie Hall three LP set from the recent Target sale. Vinyl arrived in perfect shape and sounds great, but it was missing the liner-notes insert. Target was out of stock by then, and, regardless, it made no sense for me to return a perfectly good 3LP set over a one page insert.

So I wrote ROG, explained all of the above (that Target was out of stock, I didn’t want to waste a perfectly good album, etc.) and asked whether they had extra inserts to send. I initially received a canned reply, ignoring all of the specifics of my email and telling me to return it to Target. I sent a stern reply asking to have at least the minimal level of customer service and courtesy to read a customer’s email and, also, to stand behind the quality of their own products.

ROG emailed again with an apology, and they bumped my request up the chain of command in their CS department. It’s taken a few weeks, but they’re sending me the insert.

Not sure where to post this, but, since we have too many opportunities to complain about customer service, I thought I’d mention a good CS experience with Run Out Groove.

I bought the Mingus @ Carnegie Hall three LP set from the recent Target sale. Vinyl arrived in perfect shape and sounds great, but it was missing the liner-notes insert. Target was out of stock by then, and, regardless, it made no sense for me to return a perfectly good 3LP set over a one page insert.

So I wrote ROG, explained all of the above (that Target was out of stock, I didn’t want to waste a perfectly good album, etc.) and asked whether they had extra inserts to send. I initially received a canned reply, ignoring all of the specifics of my email and telling me to return it to Target. I sent a stern reply asking to have at least the minimal level of customer service and courtesy to read a customer’s email and, also, to stand behind the quality of their own products.

ROG emailed again with an apology, and they bumped my request up the chain of command in their CS department. It’s taken a few weeks, but they’re sending me the insert.
I had something similar happen - I bought the ROG version of Curtis from I think Bullmoose? and it arrived with seam splits. I messaged ROG and they said they would replace the sleeve for me and it took a while but they eventually sent me a new complete record with sleeve (which I PIF'd)

I wouldn't hesitate to give ROG my money moving forward.

RCJP replied to me about sending the wrong pressing in hours. They said an employee made a mistake and listed the wrong pressing, which is maybe true, but we're talking pressings from 50 years apart and this one looks old as can be so the grading wasn't right on it either. So they can't send me the right one because they don't have it, which is a bummer because I let a similarly priced copy go thru my fingers since I thought I had this one on the way. But they offered a refund on it (nothing on the shipping for it though...) so at least it's something.

Last edited:
Back