Definitive Audiophile pressings

Which one is the higher priced one - 2016 or 2020? And what are the source differences?

Again, sorry for the questions but I don't feel like waiting to know till I get off work.

The 2016 was done using the same digital transfer of the master tapes made for the 2009 CD and 2010 vinyl reissues. A new source was used for all the 2020 half speed masters (abbey road confirmed this) but it was never said what it was. I’d imagine it’s a different digital transfer because the stones masters are supposedly both very worn and not allowed to leave their holding vault in the US.

Of the links to the stones store in the post above top one with the obi is the 2016 and the bottom the 2020

Here is a nice review of the recent Rolling Stones Half Speed Remasters. This is for the 2018 box set. In 2020 they released the reissues the individually with the same sourcing as the boxset.

Here is a nice review of the recent Rolling Stones Half Speed Remasters. This is for the 2018 box set. In 2020 they released the reissues the individually with the same sourcing as the boxset.
I've got this box. I picked it up new for £150 as most have a minor seam split at the top but it's ace. Pretty hard to track down at a reasonable cost in the UK but if people see it they should jump on it

I've got this box. I picked it up new for £150 as most have a minor seam split at the top but it's ace. Pretty hard to track down at a reasonable cost in the UK but if people see it they should jump on it
So the 2018 is the one to get?

That’s the same pressings that came out individually last year. It’s damn expensive though. €400+ here, was cheaper to buy the 10 individual 2020s that I was missing in a bundle from uDiscover!

That's the one. Had a look about and udiscover have still got some in your neck of the woods so if they chuck another one of their mental sales on you could get a bargain.

I don't mind the seam splits. I'll never sell it and the records live in the box so 150 quid was too good to turn down. But having played it pretty regularly I'd have paid more and been happy with it. Its a fab, fab set.

That’s the same pressings that came out individually last year. It’s damn expensive though. €400+ here, was cheaper to buy the 10 individual 2020s that I was missing in a bundle from uDiscover!
As @Rowan said, UDiscover has the box set here and it goes down to something like $200 if they have another stackable coupon sale. I almost bought it last time they had a sale but to be honest, while I like the Stones, not entirely sure that I need every album on vinyl! Already have a decent collection of early pressings and some of the reissues so I'll mostly stick to the reissues that I really want I think!

As @Rowan said, UDiscover has the box set here and it goes down to something like $200 if they have another stackable coupon sale. I almost bought it last time they had a sale but to be honest, while I like the Stones, not entirely sure that I need every album on vinyl! Already have a decent collection of early pressings and some of the reissues so I'll mostly stick to the reissues that I really want I think!
I thought that for a while. I've the GHS deluxe but really when you've got Voodoo Lounge, Exile, Some Girls, GHS, Bridges to Babylon, Blue and Lonesome and Its Only Rock And Roll in there then there are at least 7 that get a regular run out. Plus a Sticky Fingers with a zipper (that isn't the stinker everyone makes out... Even if I do prefer my old, cheapo 2010 version).

Anything around the $250 mark has to be worth a punt

I thought that for a while. I've the GHS deluxe but really when you've got Voodoo Lounge, Exile, Some Girls, GHS, Bridges to Babylon, Blue and Lonesome and Its Only Rock And Roll in there then there are at least 7 that get a regular run out. Plus a Sticky Fingers with a zipper (that isn't the stinker everyone makes out... Even if I do prefer my old, cheapo 2010 version).

Anything around the $250 mark has to be worth a punt
Yea--my collection is getting a bit unwieldy lately. No more shelf space. I went a bit crazy on box sets the past year or so and I find for some reason that I rarely end up playing box sets unless I remove the records and sleeves and put them in my stacks. I've also been beefing up my digital streaming setup so between that and my lack of shelf space, trying to have some will power! haha

Yea--my collection is getting a bit unwieldy lately. No more shelf space. I went a bit crazy on box sets the past year or so and I find for some reason that I rarely end up playing box sets unless I remove the records and sleeves and put them in my stacks. I've also been beefing up my digital streaming setup so between that and my lack of shelf space, trying to have some will power! haha
For me, the box has to be WORTH IT. If it’s taking up that much real estate, has to be a record I’m in love with. I also like to know when something is a gatefold or not, if possible. Shocking how much space you can save when you factor those in!

For me, the box has to be WORTH IT. If it’s taking up that much real estate, has to be a record I’m in love with. I also like to know when something is a gatefold or not, if possible. Shocking how much space you can save when you factor those in!
I often fall for the trap of seeing box sets for great deals and buy it thinking if I end up not playing them much, I can always get my money back. But then I never end up selling them haha. I seriously need to pare down my collection so that's on my list of things to do in 2021 if I ever get to it haha Lots of albums I never listen to much anymore.

The way I figure it is like this.

I had over 4,300 titles on vinyl in December. Over the holidays I pared that down to about 4,100. Still too much.

I dug out a ton of stuff I hadn't listened to in a decade, and stuff that I maybe listened to once then shelved and forgot. As I briefly listened to them again, it was obvious why I never turned to them again.

If I take my remaining life expectancy, factor in how many hours a month I have for listening, and the number of records, the math simply doesn't work.

I personally find the notion of 'definitive' pressings to be a fallacy, and a trap I try to avoid. If I don't have time to listen to everything I have, why would I keep re-buying records that I already have in excellent sound, excusing it by rationalizing some search for the elusive holy grail?

Sometimes I try to convince myself that I am leaving behind an outstanding representation of 20th and early 21st century music in several genres for my kids. But truth is, they will sell it the minute I am gone. They are very unlikely to listen to any of it.

When paring down, be brutal! If it isn't going to be listened to, or doesn't have long term merit, dump it!

I had over 4,300 titles on vinyl in December. Over the holidays I pared that down to about 4,100. Still too much.

I dug out a ton of stuff I hadn't listened to in a decade, and stuff that I maybe listened to once then shelved and forgot. As I briefly listened to them again, it was obvious why I never turned to them again.

If I take my remaining life expectancy, factor in how many hours a month I have for listening, and the number of records, the math simply doesn't work.

I personally find the notion of 'definitive' pressings to be a fallacy, and a trap I try to avoid. If I don't have time to listen to everything I have, why would I keep re-buying records that I already have in excellent sound, excusing it by rationalizing some search for the elusive holy grail?

Sometimes I try to convince myself that I am leaving behind an outstanding representation of 20th and early 21st century music in several genres for my kids. But truth is, they will sell it the minute I am gone. They are very unlikely to listen to any of it.

When paring down, be brutal! If it isn't going to be listened to, or doesn't have long term merit, dump it!
Yeah, hard to argue with this. The only change I'd make is that "my kids" might not even bother to sell it because even that would be more of a hassle than I should have left them with. Ah, pleasant thoughts for a Wednesday morning in January! 🍻

I very rarely buy 2 copies of the same album, but if I do "upgrade", I make sure to sell my previous copy first. I'm at about 1,200 LPs plus around 800 45s (which are for my jukebox that is currently in storage). I haven't really had the time to go through and price things to sell, but will get around to it hopefully soon!

I very rarely buy 2 copies of the same album, but if I do "upgrade", I make sure to sell my previous copy first. I'm at about 1,200 LPs plus around 800 45s (which are for my jukebox that is currently in storage). I haven't really had the time to go through and price things to sell, but will get around to it hopefully soon!

I have a few thousand, loads of which I bought a few decades ago. I think it will take me 10 years to order them all since my last move, get them cleaned and on Discogs for sale. These last few years I've just added to the problem. Just cleaning them all will take forever :(

But I really need to sort through them & sell a bunch (at least half)

I have a few thousand, loads of which I bought a few decades ago. I think it will take me 10 years to order them all since my last move, get them cleaned and on Discogs for sale. These last few years I've just added to the problem. Just cleaning them all will take forever :(

But I really need to sort through them & sell a bunch (at least half)
I did a big purge back in July. I purchased someone's record collection a long time ago for $150 or something like that. It was about 700 LPs. A lot of junk (even though it was all in good condition) but also enough good stuff to more than make up for the price. I kept them all at my office/studio. I decided to move out of there back in July since I wasn't going in because of COVID, so I picked through and kept the must-haves. Then I called up my local, he came and gave me $250 for a bunch of them. The others went into a dumpster since I couldn't find anybody to buy them or even come take them. That got rid of about 550 or so LPs from my collection which actually felt good since a lot of it was just filler. But even now, I have a lot of stuff where I only like 2-3 songs on an album and don't feel the need to ever spin them. I need to go through my jazz section too since I went on a big jazz kick for a year or two and scoured eBay for any good deals I could find.

My problem is that I go through them every few months to pull out albums I don't think i NEED anymore, then spin them "one last time" and end up keeping them haha

Yeah, hard to argue with this. The only change I'd make is that "my kids" might not even bother to sell it because even that would be more of a hassle than I should have left them with. Ah, pleasant thoughts for a Wednesday morning in January! 🍻
LOL. The minute I got most of my collection up on Discogs, my kids saw the values and started thinking of when a pillow over the face one night might work.

Because my work blocks the site, what is the difference between the two....from the preview it sounds like slight variation from the wording; but what is the substantive difference?
I think this was essentially already answered but the cheaper one on the site is the "better" of the pressings by all accounts. I do not have either however.

I did a big purge back in July. I purchased someone's record collection a long time ago for $150 or something like that. It was about 700 LPs. A lot of junk (even though it was all in good condition) but also enough good stuff to more than make up for the price. I kept them all at my office/studio. I decided to move out of there back in July since I wasn't going in because of COVID, so I picked through and kept the must-haves. Then I called up my local, he came and gave me $250 for a bunch of them. The others went into a dumpster since I couldn't find anybody to buy them or even come take them. That got rid of about 550 or so LPs from my collection which actually felt good since a lot of it was just filler. But even now, I have a lot of stuff where I only like 2-3 songs on an album and don't feel the need to ever spin them. I need to go through my jazz section too since I went on a big jazz kick for a year or two and scoured eBay for any good deals I could find.

My problem is that I go through them every few months to pull out albums I don't think i NEED anymore, then spin them "one last time" and end up keeping them haha

I need to be more brutal like that. I'm sure most are only worth 50p & will be very difficult to sell.

I need to be more brutal like that. I'm sure most are only worth 50p & will be very difficult to sell.
I mostly did it because I don't have the space for them and realized I will never listen to them. I got my money's worth from buying it and selling off what I didn't listen to anymore. It was nice to downsize but I still have a ways to go!

Back