Definitive Audiophile pressings

Seconded. I picked up We Get Requests in the holiday sale at Acoustic Sounds and it is definitely one of my best sounding records I own now.
Mine sadly had a seam split since its not a gatefold, but I messaged them about getting a new sleeve. But the record itself just sounds absolutely incredible. Really glad I picked it up!

Yeah those flimsy jackets Analogue Productions uses sometimes for double, 200 gram LPs are a nightmare. My copy of Dusty In Memphis and Dexter Gordon's Go! both had minor seam splits but I didn't bother with replacment jackets back then. I've had unusual good luck with them since though, knock on wood

Nice! The half speeds have mostly sounded good to me! I have Back To Black arriving this week since there was a deal on it over at Walmart (it was $22 or something). But not sure if that one sounds good or not. I’ve seen mixed reviews. Out of the ones I have, Sticky Fingers sounds bad but all the others sound great to me. I really like The Specials half speed.
Sticky fingers sounds bad in general. If you crank the abbey road version it sounds better than I’ve ever heard it.

the 2020 HSM of Sticky Fingers sounds flat too me, not punchy at all compared to any 70s pressing you can get. The 2020 HSM of Exile sounds pretty darn great though.
Yea I was pretty shocked at how bad the Sticky Fingers reissue sounded. Completely lifeless to me. I don't have another vinyl version to compare it to though.

That’s good to hear when I finally decide to pick exiles up

Yeah I have the half speed master one from a few years back with the whole obi and certificate. It sounds great.

Yea I was pretty shocked at how bad the Sticky Fingers reissue sounded. Completely lifeless to me. I don't have another vinyl version to compare it to though.

Yeah I have the one from about 2015 with the zip and bonus disc. Dynamically flat as a pancake. I dont think I’ve heard of too many great versions of it though.

The 2016 Exile HSM is totally flat and bad compared to this 2020 one, or any 70s pressing. The Artisan pressings of Exile, even with some static and surface noise sound much better than anything you can buy new these days though. It's such loud rockin' album that most of the surface noise is usually drowned out by guitars anyway unlike on some quiet jazz LPs.

this preorder seems new...

The 2016 Exile HSM is totally flat and bad compared to this 2020 one, or any 70s pressing. The Artisan pressings of Exile, even with some static and surface noise sound much better than anything you can buy new these days though. It's such loud rockin' album that most of the surface noise is usually drowned out by guitars anyway unlike on some quiet jazz LPs.

Disagree that it’s flat. It’s pressed a little hot for my taste but not flat in comparison to other pressings of this that I’ve heard.

Last edited:
What's the deal with the Hendrix Family pressings? I thought I'd read they were digital and somewhat hit and miss. But I feel like recently I've seen lots of praise? I think they're all QRP Sterling?

I have the monos for the first two albums and the stereo for Electric Ladyland. Really impressed by all of them.

They claimed all analogue mastering on the hype sticker for Are You Experienced but that’s not on the other two.

What's the deal with the Hendrix Family pressings? I thought I'd read they were digital and somewhat hit and miss. But I feel like recently I've seen lots of praise? I think they're all QRP Sterling?
The one I got the other day is this one:

BG remaster, pressed at QRP and I believe most were cut from tape, not digital. I have only heard great things about the reissues.

Although this press of axis from a few years earlier that lines up with my AYE does claim that.

My copy of Axis has a hype sticker that says "All Analog Mastering From The Original Monophonic Master Tapes". Could be a case of tricksy wording, but I have heard that the majority of the Experience Hendrix/Hendrix Family pressings are cut from master tapes and AAA.

Yeah the Hendrix Family Approved remasters are great, all analog. I have the Stereo version of Axis (it was on sale for something like $12 on amazon once) and Are You Experienced (the mono/UK track list version is very muddy by all reports) and ELL. I know the RSD Monterey Pop Festival pressing was AAA as well, so are the Miami Pop Festival and The Cry Of Love reissues put out by them. Unfortunately no Band of Gypsy's, I guess that's on Capitol or another label out of their hands or something

My copy of Axis has a hype sticker that says "All Analog Mastering From The Original Monophonic Master Tapes". Could be a case of tricksy wording, but I have heard that the majority of the Experience Hendrix/Hendrix Family pressings are cut from master tapes and AAA.

Yeah I thought mine had that too and when I look closer I actually do have the 2013, I had it in Discogs wrong...

It sounds fantastic, all 3 do!

Edit: TBH the thought that any modern press has zero digital in it somewhere along the line is kinda amusing to me, even it’s just for minor correcting between the three processes or aiding with the cut.

Last edited:
I have the monos for the first two albums and the stereo for Electric Ladyland. Really impressed by all of them.

They claimed all analogue mastering on the hype sticker for Are You Experienced but that’s not on the other two.

Is there a prevailing opinion on Mono vs Stereo with these?

Back