Definitive Audiophile pressings

Yes we are all aware that this was not well recorded or mixed, but there are still good and bad pressings of poorly recorded and mixed albums.

I think I’d pass just on the fact that it’s Iggy’s 90s mix which if I remember rightly is brickwalled to fuck. The original Bowie is rough but it’s always the one I grab from that 2LP set.

I think I’d pass just on the fact that it’s Iggy’s 90s mix which if I remember rightly is brickwalled to fuck. The original Bowie is rough but it’s always the one I grab from that 2LP set.
Sadly both mixes suck ass. Played the VMP Iggy mix last night. Sounds better than the 1997 version, but still not a friend of headphones.

Sadly both mixes suck ass. Played the VMP Iggy mix last night. Sounds better than the 1997 version, but still not a friend of headphones.

Yeah RKS is a good mastering engineer, as is Kev on the 2LP I have. They can make some difference but there is only so much they can do when iggy just turned everything in the mix up to 11. You’re right that both are shit mixes but the original Bowie is at least not as fatiguing to listen to as the Iggy one.

Yeah RKS is a good mastering engineer, as is Kev on the 2LP I have. They can make some difference but there is only so much they can do when iggy just turned everything in the mix up to 11. You’re right that both are shit mixes but the original Bowie is at least not as fatiguing to listen to as the Iggy one.
Are you suggesting RKS can't do anything with this? BLASPHEMY

GimmeDanger-1997.jpgYourPrettyFace-1997.jpg

Last edited:
Yes we are all aware that this was not well recorded or mixed, but there are still good and bad pressings of poorly recorded and mixed albums.
Yes, we are all aware that there are good and bad pressngs. You can get a different smelling turd, and pay money for it. Go for it!

The KG is definitely a hotter cut, but the RKS is clearly a better sounding pressing. All analog source probably had a lot to do with that. The VMP goes for a more balanced sound, which takes away some of the in-your-face-ness of it. I think the Gimme Danger sounds better on the KG but overall I like the RKS more hands down. I would be surprised if that's not the consensus.

RKS is punchier (kick drum especially) with more depth and dynamics, I assume a lot of that is the difference between a digital and analog source. When I crank it it shakes my whole room

I wouldn't say it's been taken away, more toned down in comparison to the KG, who just lets it all hang out
Yeah this is absolutely the RKS vs KPG sound I find. RKS tends to round everything, makes everything crankable AF whereas KPG is detail (to a fault) and can result in some harshness because he leaves absolutely everything in there. Really curious to hear the difference.

"coming soon" per MoFi - looks like this might be the next One Step to come out @Joe Mac

"coming soon" per MoFi - looks like this might be the next One Step to come out @Joe Mac

Cheers!

I’ve actually made a decision on these. I’m not going to. Had these come out 2 years ago I’d likely have bought this and 2 or 3 more.

Now? I am just so happy with the BG box break out of this that I’m going that way with Court and Spark too when it comes out in a couple of weeks. My Japanese OGs of For The Roses and Clouds are just brilliant too.

Makes it actually quite easy not to spend nearly €200 one of these. These might be better. They won’t be €160-€170 an album better.

Cheers!

I’ve actually made a decision on these. I’m not going to. Had these come out 2 years ago I’d likely have bought this and 2 or 3 more.

Now? I am just so happy with the BG box break out of this that I’m going that way worth Court and Spark too when it comes out. My Japanese OGs of For The Roses and Clouds are just brilliant too.

Makes it actually quite easy not to spend nearly €200 one of these.
I might get Hejira is it goes on discount at Target or something. But yea--the Bernie copies are great. Just figured I'd tag ya in all things Joni :)

Also I’m delighted that MoFi are visiting Joni and releasing these (hopefully a nice standard 45 or 33 follows). Joni is such a talent but her catalogue has not been even remotely mined enough.

It’s just that on this occasion these are not the right proposition for me.

Back