Definitive Audiophile pressings

My stay in the US will be limited, so I'm sure not shy about buying AP and MoFi titles (and now Craft!) while I'm here, because I know that when I move back in Europe, the prices for these will be even more steep!

Definitely. there are so many records you could pick up in America that look cheap on Discogs, but when you look at the cheapest available copy in Europe it jumps. AP & Mofi without a doubt, you might find the same with older blue note titles & the like

I think, just speculation here, that the dollar is very likely to take a bounce tomorrow and come back nearer to the pound and euro.

I think you could be right, but these are very weird & strange times. Who knows.

(This is bad, you are basically giving me an excuse to buy a load of AP titles 😬 )

I think, just speculation here, that the dollar is very likely to take a bounce tomorrow and come back nearer to the pound and euro.
If we can just get through the next 6 months without a million people dying and halfway decent vaccine distribution, I am confident that the US economy is going to take off like a rocket ship. I do think that means the dollar will get stronger, which means imports and audiophile products will get more expensive in the short run.

I do wonder whether the vinyl market will be as robust when people can do things like go on vacations and go to concerts again.

If we can just get through the next 6 months without a million people dying and halfway decent vaccine distribution, I am confident that the US economy is going to take off like a rocket ship. I do think that means the dollar will get stronger, which means imports and audiophile products will get more expensive in the short run.

I do wonder whether the vinyl market will be as robust when people can do things like go on vacations and go to concerts again.

It was fairly robust before that, it’s just gone bang over the lockdowns. I actually think that a bit of a relaxation may do the supply side of it the world of good!

Agree entirely. My budget for vinyl will definitely have to be reigned in.

Speaking from my personal experience, since I saved SO much money on not going out, not paying office rent, etc for the past 8 months, I definitely spent more money on things like records than I probably would have if we were living normally...

I have those on backorder from Music Direct so that I'll get them when they are back. Slightly worried about the fat bill I'm gonna get if they all come at once.

FWIW, Toad Hall dude said theres a "mystery truck" coming next week with restocks. Curious to see what they are. He said it's usually 5 titles at a time. After this truck, he said RTI is super slowed down and we won't be getting restocks as frequently from MoFi.
So I was looking at the MoFi records on Elusive Disc, and there are a few that are marked expected 1/22: Vanilla Fudge, Twisted Sister-Stay Hungry, B-52's-Cosmic Thing, Bob Dylan-John Wesley Harding, Bob Dylan-The Times They Are A Changin', Tom Waits & Crystal Gayle-One from the heart. Not very exciting if true

So I was looking at the MoFi records on Elusive Disc, and there are a few that are marked expected 1/22: Vanilla Fudge, Twisted Sister-Stay Hungry, B-52's-Cosmic Thing, Bob Dylan-John Wesley Harding, Bob Dylan-The Times They Are A Changin', Tom Waits & Crystal Gayle-One from the heart. Not very exciting if true
Yea--I hope those aren't the only restocks. I had seen somewhere that Janis Joplin Pearl (non One Step) is due back in stock in Feb but it could just be a random guess. I don't think these places really know much too far in advanced about whats being re-stocked.

Yep I've got it, it's very good. Nice mastering and pressing. KPG@CA QRP pressed. The usual for those I think.
Also just for the record I've got Idris from the new series and also a couple of the Black Jazz releases VMP did and they are all uniformly excellent.

Also just for the record I've got Idris from the new series and also a couple of the Black Jazz releases VMP did and they are all uniformly excellent.
I have gotten most of the Black Jazz reissues from Real Gone directly (they were doing a lot of limited to 100 pressings there) and agree that they all sound good. i think the VMP Jazz Dispensary titles are a bit too pricey for me. If they were $25 like the old ones were, I likely would have picked them all up but $50 + shipping as a non-member is STEEP for albums that I like but don't need to have on vinyl.

I have gotten most of the Black Jazz reissues from Real Gone directly (they were doing a lot of limited to 100 pressings there) and agree that they all sound good. i think the VMP Jazz Dispensary titles are a bit too pricey for me. If they were $25 like the old ones were, I likely would have picked them all up but $50 + shipping as a non-member is STEEP for albums that I like but don't need to have on vinyl.
Oh I completely agree on the price. I swapped for Idris. The price is silly. I also swapped last month for this album:
R-16429170-1607697969-1948.jpeg.jpg
And it's really fun. Pressed at Pallas, dead quiet, obviously the songs vary in quality depending on the master so it's not exactly audiophile but it's a good one if you like that style of music.

I get you. For me I was just going to get Heavy Axe, it was a want, but when I got it I liked it so much I ended up getting the rest.

My Justification (to myself) was that they are around the same price as a Tone Poet. But in reality I think I've only paid full price for Chet sings in the TP range, the rest I've got pretty cheaply from Deep Discount or Amazon.com

edit - the first one was also a swap - that's what hooked me

I get you. For me I was just going t get Heavy Axe, it was a want, but when I got it I liked it so much I ended up getting the rest.

My Justification (to myself) was that they are around the same price as a Tone Poet. But in reality I think I've only paid full price in Chet sings fro the TP range, the rest I've got pretty cheaply from Deep Discount or Amazon.com
Yea--I would have purchased them if I was an international member too probably. Price-wise here, I have gotten most if not all of my TPs for $25 or under so $50 for this seemed way overpriced. I should have swapped for one my last month as a member but I held strong haha.

I get you. For me I was just going to get Heavy Axe, it was a want, but when I got it I liked it so much I ended up getting the rest.

My Justification (to myself) was that they are around the same price as a Tone Poet. But in reality I think I've only paid full price for Chet sings in the TP range, the rest I've got pretty cheaply from Deep Discount or Amazon.com

edit - the first one was also a swap - that's what hooked me

I got Sorcerer and Idris, and I'm very excited to get back to London to listen to them. I hope they get them back in the swaps, because I need that Purdie

Back