Compilations

The now out of print Pulp Fusion series (released late 90s-early 2000s) is what schooled me about funky jazz and soul. Think Tina & Ike, Idris Muhammad, Sly Stone, Herbie, Mandrill, Booker T, Minnie Riperton, Pleasure, Blackbyrds, Betty Davis, Kool & The Gang, etc.

The current Jazz Dispensary series (another great compilation series if you like the genre) is pretty much the descendent of Pulp Fusion.

And just to toot my own horn, here's a link to my Pulp Fusion playlist, which is my most popular list on Spotify.

I've always loved "Urban Renewal program" -it's a Ninjatune / Chocolate Industries compilation and has a lot of great stuff on it. It has a lot of the Def Jux crew on it but maybe slightly more focused on the producer side so if you like the more electronic hip hop style - like El-P RJD2 Prefuse 73 this is perfect.

The version of Night Light by Miho Hatori on spotify now is different from the original version - not sure why? The original version is what actually drew me into the album. Spotify version now is clearly produced by Prefuse - not sure if he did this original one too. Edit: this one is produced by Caural

Last edited:
Yep - good stuff.

If you're just beginning to scratch your Roky itch, head back to The 13th Floor Elevators.

Also - watch this film. So good.

Awesome, I will. I've definitely listened to the debut album before but it didn't make a huge impression even though it would be right up my alley. I also didn't realize that "Reverberation" from that The Third Mind album you posted about last year and I really liked was a 13th Floor Elevators song till now.

Back