Compilations

BjorgenFjorgen

I searched and didn't really find a thread on this topic. Some of us were talking in another thread about compilations, covers, etc., and I've been listening to them a lot in the last few years. There have been a few compilations that were life-changing and I still listen to as much as any other favourite album. These are some of my top compilations off the top of my head:

I'm Not There soundtrack.

I was probably in my late teens or very early 20s when I first got this, but I have no memory of it. I'd heard a few Dylan records and really liked them but they were only up till BoB at that point. I was a broke student and buying all my music on CDs at the time. Maybe my brother in law showed it to me. A few of the covers on here of songs I didn't recognize became favourites, like "Señor (Tales of Yankee Power)", "Goin' to Acapulco", "Man in the Long Black Coat", etc. So even knowing later Bob now, I still like Willie Nelson singing Señor, Jim James singing Acapulco. One of my absolute favourite movies too. I'd love to know how they chose which songs to include in a project like this. Do you avoid "Most of the Time" because the Masked and Anonymous one just couldn't be topped? One of the all-time best Dylan songs and I'd never heard it till I finally got to Oh Mercy a couple years ago, just because it wasn't on I'm Not There.

Day of the Dead
Downloaded this the summer it came out, shortly after I'd started streaming music, for a 6-hour Greyhound trip I was taking one Friday. Had never really been curious about the Dead even though I liked jammier rock in general. Now they're one of my favourite bands, mainly because I fell in love with so many of these songs through their covers. And then so many of the singers of those covers afterward, too. Still listen to it all the time.

Numero Group's Planisphere
I have no memory of downloading this comp either, or how I even found out about Numero. If I had to guess it was around the time I joined the VMP forum in fall of 2017. Apparently there's just a crappy (but amazing looking) picture disk, so I've just streamed it so far. (I'll probably buy the dumb picture disc very soon, I love this album so much it's making me justify consciously bad decisions.) Probably mostly because of their amazing YouTube video series when I hear these songs I think of weirdos out in the Midwest in the '80s doing weird shit, and I love it.

But this has been the perfect late-summer cottage weekend (or, last and this year, late-summer on-the-deck weekend) albums. Feel a very strong relation to it especially since life in the pandemic.

O'Brother Where Art Thou? soundtrack
I think a lot of my current taste in music is descended directly from my hearing this soundtrack when I was 12 or whenever. Dylan, Wilco, My Morning Jacket, the Dead, Iron & Wine, basically all of my absolute favourite bands.

What are some of your big ones?

I also love the Day of the Dead box set. Dylan Revisited and Harvest Revisited are both solid. Can’t go wrong with any of @Lee Newman ’s suggestions either. That Penrose RSD comp is fantastic and didn’t seem to get much fanfare when it came out.

I’m a huge fan of the LateNightTales and Back To Mine comps as well.

Soul Slabs - Colemine's series is the bomb
Penrose Showcase - great to be able to chill while listening to this California soul
Al Green's Greatest Hits and Neil Young's Decade - the best best ofs ever

I also love the Day of the Dead box set. Dylan Revisited and Harvest Revisited are both solid. Can’t go wrong with any of @Lee Newman ’s suggestions either. That Penrose RSD comp is fantastic and didn’t seem to get much fanfare when it came out.

I’m a huge fan of the LateNightTales and Back To Mine comps as well.
I recently got Dylan Revisited and Harvest Revisited as well. I like the Harvest one but honestly don't know if I've listened to the Dylan one yet. I just got two other Dylan comps that I can't stop listening to so I haven't needed to try it yet.

LateNightTales have some great ones. The Badbadnotgood and Bonobo ones got me into some really cool music and I listen to them a lot. I also love the Floating Points one from a couple years ago that VMP pressed.

A few faves...

The Bridge - A Tribute To Neil Young

View attachment 105667

View attachment 105668

The Song Retains The Name

This track is just the best...

View attachment 105666

View attachment 105665

Virus 100 (Dead Kennedys Tribute)

View attachment 105669

Awesome, I will check these out. I think I'd seen the second one on the forum recently -- did you post it? -- and maybe the first one too. I've been extremely into Neil this year and really love tribute albums.

I recently got Dylan Revisited and Harvest Revisited as well. I like the Harvest one but honestly don't know if I've listened to the Dylan one yet. I just got two other Dylan comps that I can't stop listening to so I haven't needed to try it yet.

LateNightTales have some great ones. The Badbadnotgood and Bonobo ones got me into some really cool music and I listen to them a lot. I also love the Floating Points one from a couple years ago that VMP pressed.
I think I’m up to owning 17 of the LNT albums on vinyl now. Have some more ripped from CDs too. My favorites are BBNG, Bonobo, Snow Patrol and if you like yacht-rocky vibes, the Music For Pleasure comp they did is awesome.

Soul Slabs - Colemine's series is the bomb
Penrose Showcase - great to be able to chill while listening to this California soul
Al Green's Greatest Hits and Neil Young's Decade - the best best ofs ever
Whoops, forgot to actually respond to this last night when I quoted it and meant to! I've seen everyone on the forum rave about Colemine but I'm not a huge soul guy so I haven't really checked them out yet. Same with the Penrose Showcase album -- never heard of it, but I really like the album Jason Joshua & the Beholders put out last year.

Haven't been a greatest hits fan since the Beatles' 1 came out when I was in like fifth grade, but that Decade tracklisting looks really great. As a huge Neil fan yourself, do you find yourself listening to it still even after (probably) having most of the albums of his you like?

My favourite compilation/tribute discovery of last year was definitely this one:

A Day In The Life: Impressions Of Pepper
View attachment 105672View attachment 105673

I've seen this posted before and maybe even streamed it once, but I'm not really a big Beatles fan (I am trying, I'll probably get there eventually) or a huge jazz fan most of the time. I will have to give it another shot because it's a great concept and the art kicks ass.

I think I’m up to owning 17 of the LNT albums on vinyl now. Have some more ripped from CDs too. My favorites are BBNG, Bonobo, Snow Patrol and if you like yacht-rocky vibes, the Music For Pleasure comp they did is awesome.

17!? Wow, that's a lot. I will check out Music for Pleasure for sure.

Whoops, forgot to actually respond to this last night when I quoted it and meant to! I've seen everyone on the forum rave about Colemine but I'm not a huge soul guy so I haven't really checked them out yet. Same with the Penrose Showcase album -- never heard of it, but I really like the album Jason Joshua & the Beholders put out last year.

Haven't been a greatest hits fan since the Beatles' 1 came out when I was in like fifth grade, but that Decade tracklisting looks really great. As a huge Neil fan yourself, do you find yourself listening to it still even after (probably) having most of the albums of his you like?
With the exception of Storytone (not sure why) and both archives, I own copies in some format of everything Neil has released officially and Decade is my 24th most listened to album according to Last.fm - this really only accounts for my last five years of listening. So, yes, I do.

I've seen this posted before and maybe even streamed it once, but I'm not really a big Beatles fan (I am trying, I'll probably get there eventually) or a huge jazz fan most of the time. I will have to give it another shot because it's a great concept and the art kicks ass.

17!? Wow, that's a lot. I will check out Music for Pleasure for sure.
They get regular spins back when people could come over before COVID because most of them have something for everyone on them. My (now) wife also loves putting them on because often times she’s not sure what artist/album she’s in the mood to listen to and those and the Back to Mine series are more a mood than just one particular artist.

Don't have a ton of comps as they tend to be really hit or miss. The Bridge NY tribute is a true classic.

Homestead's Human Music is a great one, lots of unreleased music on it including Yo La Tengo covering Jackson Browne

Capture Tracks recreated that same type of feeling with last years Strum & Thrum
28th Day - Pages Turn

I remember listening to that Strum & Thrum when it came out and really enjoying it. I knew absolutely nothing about that type of music or those scenes. This is a good reminder to put it on again.

Dark Was The Night is another comp I’m a fan of.
Yeah, that's a great one. In the years before I started streaming I had bought a few songs off of it by bands I'd liked, a la carte, like My Morning Jacket's "El Caporal", Iron & Wine's "Die", and the Nick Drake cover by Jose Gonzalez and the Books. When I finally heard the whole thing I couldn't believe how much of it I loved. I guess it was pretty close to the start of me getting into most indie rock music.

Seeing as it's Roky Erickson's birthday, I'm reminded of how much fun this one is...

Where The Pyramid Meets The Eye - A Tribute To Roky Erickson

View attachment 105796

View attachment 105795

I'm not super familiar with Roky Erickson's music but I really liked the cover Jeff Tweedy recently dropped on the new tribute (that may be an RSD release?), May the Circle Remain Unbroken. Just started streaming it and like the other songs too, and will have to check out the one you posted.

One of my fave comps, Freedom of Choice, from 1992 when these were getting popular:

And, with all due respect to previous suggestions, the best best of ever is Snap! by The Jam, two discs of all killer, released a few months after Paul Weller ended the band after only five years. Perfect.

Back