Comics Corner

I didn't see a comics thread so I figured I'd run with it...

What's everybody reading? What are your all time favs? Which creators do you follow/admire? Do you still buy physical issues or have you gone digital?

I haven't read anything in almost two years now but when I was an avid comic reader Black Monday Murders was at the top of my list, and I was really liking DC's Metal event but still have yet to pick it back up. Some stuff that's been published in my absence I need to check out are Grant Morrison's Green Lantern and the I want to delve into the Sandman Universe.

Crisis on Infinite Earths was my entry point into the comics world in the mid-to-late 80s and I'd say that and the character reboots that followed are still among my favs: Batman Year One, Man of Steel, George Perez's Wonder Woman etc. That being said, as an adult I'd have to say my all time favorites are Sandman, The Invisibles and Alan Moore's Swamp Thing (honorable mentions to Grant Morrison's Batman and the early 90s "Mutant Genesis" X-books).

My favorite creators have already been mentioned above. Grant Morrison, Neil Gaiman and Alan Moore are obvious favorites. More recent writers I like are Scott Snyder and Jonathan Hickman (really excited to see what Hickman will bring to the X-books).

And finally, with physical space being a constant issue, I'm prepared to go full digital if and when I get back into being a regular reader.

Last edited:
Also, has anybody ever used Comicogs for selling? With the above mentioned physical space issue and a two year break in reading any of my comics I'm interersted in selling a bulk of my collection and am always on the search for an alternative to Ebay.

I'm a Marvel guy myself. I have a small collection of physical copies, but I do most of my reading digital. I have Marvel Unlimited and comiXology for most of my needs.

For Marvel, I've just been going through reading guides I found online and catching up on the past 30 or so years. I'm currently in the gap between Secret Invasion and Dark Reign, so I still have a solid decade to catch up on.

As for other trades, i really like Saga, East of West, Rat Queens, Gaiman's stuff, Moore's stuff, and Umbrella Academy (the show is great too!). There's others too, but my brain is fried today and I can't think properly.

I'm a Marvel guy myself. I have a small collection of physical copies, but I do most of my reading digital. I have Marvel Unlimited and comiXology for most of my needs.

For Marvel, I've just been going through reading guides I found online and catching up on the past 30 or so years. I'm currently in the gap between Secret Invasion and Dark Reign, so I still have a solid decade to catch up on.

As for other trades, i really like Saga, East of West, Rat Queens, Gaiman's stuff, Moore's stuff, and Umbrella Academy (the show is great too!). There's others too, but my brain is fried today and I can't think properly.
While I always favored DC I'm not anti-Marvel. Aside from the X-men I really dug Infinity Gauntlet and of course Spiderman.

Saga is very cool; I really hope to catch up on it some day.

Fraction's Hawkeye will probably always be my favorite. I could stare at individual pages of that book for hours on end.

And I looooove Paper Girls, but I'm not caught up at the moment. I need to get back into month-to-month, I think.
I didn't get past the first couple issues of Fraction's Hawkeye but I did like it, especially the art which I thought was amazing.

Good thread. Used to read a bunch. Fables, Transmetropolitan, Y The Last Man, 100 Bullets, Sandman, Watchmen, Matt Fraction's Hawkeye run being some of my favorites. Now I only read Walking Dead as a regular pull. I need to find some additional titles to get into - picked up the first volume of Preacher, and Dark Knight Returns III recently. Saga is on my radar to pick up too.

I did Marvel Unlimited for 2 years I think, finally dropped it as the UI was so tough to work with. Squirrel Girl was a great read within that though. Highly recommended.

Good thread. Used to read a bunch. Fables, Transmetropolitan, Y The Last Man, 100 Bullets, Sandman, Watchmen, Matt Fraction's Hawkeye run being some of my favorites. Now I only read Walking Dead as a regular pull. I need to find some additional titles to get into - picked up the first volume of Preacher, and Dark Knight Returns III recently. Saga is on my radar to pick up too.

I did Marvel Unlimited for 2 years I think, finally dropped it as the UI was so tough to work with. Squirrel Girl was a great read within that though. Highly recommended.
Transmetropolitan is greatness and so is 100 bullets even tho I never finished it. I liked the direction of DKIII but I only made it two issues into it before my comic reading was curtailed by unfortunate life circumstance.

Don't know much about Squirrel Girl but you're not the first I've heard recommend it; guess I'll add it to my list.

Transmetropolitan is greatness and so is 100 bullets even tho I never finished it. I liked the direction of DKIII but I only made it two issues into it before my comic reading was curtailed by unfortunate life circumstance.

Don't know much about Squirrel Girl but you're not the first I've heard recommend it; guess I'll add it to my list.

Squirrel GIrl is pretty far from Transmetropolitan and 100 Bullets tonally, so if you need some lighter fare that pokes fun at Marvel itself, in a meta way, it's a great read. It was almost like Mad Magazine with little in-jokes interspersed everywhere.

Current titles that I’m waaaay behind on:
Kick Ass
Green Lantern(Grant Morrison)
Uncanny X-Men

Anyone collect comic related paraphernalia like prints and statues?
I like buying prints by artists I really like like. I really want to buy a Phil Noto original painting. Just gotta wait until I have a) Money b) Space and c) one’s up for sale that I love.

I've been lucky enough to go to San Diego Comic Con for a number of years - living near it certainly helps. For my kids high school graduation I've commissioned prints from some of their favorite artists that we've gotten to meet over the years at the con. My oldest got a drawing from Andy Runton (Owly) and the middle got a print from David Petersen (Mouseguard).

Current titles that I’m waaaay behind on:
Kick Ass
Green Lantern(Grant Morrison)
Uncanny X-Men

I've seen a few prints and statues that I wouldn't mind having, but I don't actively collect that stuff.

I'm already chasing too many dragons as it is to fall down that rabbit hole.

Anybody read Hip Hop Family Tree? I remember reading the strips when they were posted on Boing Boing years ago, but apparently its a multi-volume release now.

I've been keeping a sub box at my local store for almost 20 years now. Except for the releases from Panel Syndicate (and thankfully they've released printed versions of some), I don't buy digital comics at all. I also mostly stick to single issues for new books I care about, especially creators that offer special material not in the collected version, but happy to pick up trades for stuff I didn't get the first time around.

For the big 2, I started heavy DC and switched to Marvel when the Darkest Night/Brightest Day/New 52 nonsense started. At this point, I just stick to writers/artists that interest me (Morrison on GL, Zdarsky on Daredevil, Slott on FF, Ewing on Immortal Hulk, Waid wherever Marvel puts him). Jason Aaron's recent epic run on Thor is one of the best. As much as I love Batman as a character, I have to confine myself to standalone stories at this point, like last year's White Knight by Sean Murphy.

Most of my $ goes to books from Image, along with a few from Oni, IDW, Dark Horse, Boom, etc. Current fave by far is Criminal. Just about everything by Brubaker/Phillips is exceptional. Jeff Lemire has been on a strong creative run the last few years, though if you pick up Black Hammer, you can skip the spinoffs unless you really get into it. Also Matt Kindt, great with Grass Kings & Black Badge, the latter a dark take on Boy Scouts. Wicked & Divine is wrapping up & worth it for Gillen & McKelvie doing their thing so well. Go back and read Phonogram if you want to read a take on the interplay of music & magic; very British. Gillen's writing a bunch of ongoing series, too, and I'd recommend Die if you've ever enjoyed D&D/RPGs. If you're into magic/horror, there's Bellaire & Del Rey's Redlands. Curse Words has been a fun read on deranged wizards. A futuristic, funny take on cloning is Rob Guillory's Farmhand (though start with Chew if you haven't read it yet; completely different books but Chew was Rob on art and was great all the way through). I've also been impressed with a newer publisher, TKO. They release arcs of new series in one chunk, with the option of buying the trade or 6 single issues boxed together.

I've been keeping a sub box at my local store for almost 20 years now. Except for the releases from Panel Syndicate (and thankfully they've released printed versions of some), I don't buy digital comics at all. I also mostly stick to single issues for new books I care about, especially creators that offer special material not in the collected version, but happy to pick up trades for stuff I didn't get the first time around.

For the big 2, I started heavy DC and switched to Marvel when the Darkest Night/Brightest Day/New 52 nonsense started. At this point, I just stick to writers/artists that interest me (Morrison on GL, Zdarsky on Daredevil, Slott on FF, Ewing on Immortal Hulk, Waid wherever Marvel puts him). Jason Aaron's recent epic run on Thor is one of the best. As much as I love Batman as a character, I have to confine myself to standalone stories at this point, like last year's White Knight by Sean Murphy.

Most of my $ goes to books from Image, along with a few from Oni, IDW, Dark Horse, Boom, etc. Current fave by far is Criminal. Just about everything by Brubaker/Phillips is exceptional. Jeff Lemire has been on a strong creative run the last few years, though if you pick up Black Hammer, you can skip the spinoffs unless you really get into it. Also Matt Kindt, great with Grass Kings & Black Badge, the latter a dark take on Boy Scouts. Wicked & Divine is wrapping up & worth it for Gillen & McKelvie doing their thing so well. Go back and read Phonogram if you want to read a take on the interplay of music & magic; very British. Gillen's writing a bunch of ongoing series, too, and I'd recommend Die if you've ever enjoyed D&D/RPGs. If you're into magic/horror, there's Bellaire & Del Rey's Redlands. Curse Words has been a fun read on deranged wizards. A futuristic, funny take on cloning is Rob Guillory's Farmhand (though start with Chew if you haven't read it yet; completely different books but Chew was Rob on art and was great all the way through). I've also been impressed with a newer publisher, TKO. They release arcs of new series in one chunk, with the option of buying the trade or 6 single issues boxed together.
I liked Blackest Night (I assume that's what you meant), some New 52 stuff (Scott Snyder's Batman and Grant Morrisons Action Comics), and DC Metal more recently, but I do get serious event fatigue from DC.

I liked Blackest Night (I assume that's what you meant), some New 52 stuff (Scott Snyder's Batman and Grant Morrisons Action Comics), and DC Metal more recently, but I do get serious event fatigue from DC.

Yeah, that's what I meant; found it to be uninspired dreck (the usual from Geoff Johns) that was only written to get us to the New 52, the worst thing DC has done in quite some time. The fact they they then half gave up on it by slightly reverting some of the titles with Rebirth, but keeping the worst of the decisions (e.g., cramming all of Batman's timeline into a narrow path so all the Robins can co-exist, Barbara Gordon retcon) means I just refuse to read any of their main titles now. And yeah, I pretty much refuse to give either publisher money on an "event" and DC has been the worst offender by far the last few years.

New Comics Wednesday purchases, with some notes beyond what I listed previously -

Ascender #2 (Lemire & Dustin Nguyen's sequel to Descender)
Batman Last Knight on Earth #1 (Scott Snyder & Greg Capullo)
Catwoman Annual #1 (Joelle Jones)
Daredevil #6
Fantastic Four #10
Immortal Hulk #18
Killer Groove #1 (vinyl logo on cover; musicians & murder in 1970's LA)
Thor #13
Wild Storm #23 (Warren Ellis)
X-Men Grand Design X-Tinction #1 (Ed Piskor, writer of Hip-Hop Family Tree, taking on X-Men continuity)

Back