Chicago

Also, I'll be contributing some stuff at the annual Eclectic Garage Sale tomorrow, hosted by DJ Scary Lady Sarah and American Gothic Productions.

Bringing mostly clothes (some pics posted in the event discussion), but I might bring along a stack of vinyl, too!

I believe in the city? Driving in for Riot Fest tomorrow.

Stopped in Madison for a bit, now scheduled to be there at 4:32
Guess it depends how much time you have planned to explore outside of the festival area. Sticking around Monday? 606 Records down in Pilsen, Bucket o' Blood in Avondale, any of the Reckless Record locations.

My Riot schedule tomorrow is Dead Swords > Nick Lowe > The Beaches > Ride > Against Me! > B-52s > Patti Smith (though this might be my one slot to eat) > The Raconteurs > Bikini Kill.

Haven't been checking anything social while out and about for my battery's sake, but if you see me feel free to say hi!

Guess it depends how much time you have planned to explore outside of the festival area. Sticking around Monday? 606 Records down in Pilsen, Bucket o' Blood in Avondale, any of the Reckless Record locations.

My Riot schedule tomorrow is Dead Swords > Nick Lowe > The Beaches > Ride > Against Me! > B-52s > Patti Smith (though this might be my one slot to eat) > The Raconteurs > Bikini Kill.

Haven't been checking anything social while out and about for my battery's sake, but if you see me feel free to say hi!
Well, I’m back in MN now, but I did end up checking out a Reckless Records while wandering through Chicago. Didn’t grab anything as I knew I was coming home to a stack of packages—5 to be exact, lol.

Anywho, I ended up watching The Beaches and the B-52’s from your list; B-52’s was mostly to secure an awesome spot for Ween but they were surprisingly really solid. I had fun, I danced and sang along. The Beaches were my favorite act of the whole day, besides Ween obviously which was a dream come true for me (The Mollusk is one of my favorites and a very personal record for me). Had no idea who they were to begin with but man were they excellent. Great songs and VERY lively stage act. Loved the girl on far right who would start rhythmically kicking into the air while playing keyboards.

Yeah, I’m gonna look more into them.

Other acts I watched, or saw parts of, were Nick Lowe with Los Straight Jackets, Ride, Guided By Voices, and Streetlight Manifesto while grabbing a pulled pork sandwich.

Overall, a great experience. A person I know tried to talk me into going every year and this year I ended up going and him staying, haha!
Would go again

And hope your experience was as amazing as mine was. Also, were you there all three days?

Well, I’m back in MN now, but I did end up checking out a Reckless Records while wandering through Chicago. Didn’t grab anything as I knew I was coming home to a stack of packages—5 to be exact, lol.

Anywho, I ended up watching The Beaches and the B-52’s from your list; B-52’s was mostly to secure an awesome spot for Ween but they were surprisingly really solid. I had fun, I danced and sang along. The Beaches were my favorite act of the whole day, besides Ween obviously which was a dream come true for me (The Mollusk is one of my favorites and a very personal record for me). Had no idea who they were to begin with but man were they excellent. Great songs and VERY lively stage act. Loved the girl on far right who would start rhythmically kicking into the air while playing keyboards.

Yeah, I’m gonna look more into them.

Other acts I watched, or saw parts of, were Nick Lowe with Los Straight Jackets, Ride, Guided By Voices, and Streetlight Manifesto while grabbing a pulled pork sandwich.

Overall, a great experience. A person I know tried to talk me into going every year and this year I ended up going and him staying, haha!
Would go again

And hope your experience was as amazing as mine was. Also, were you there all three days?
Yupp, all three days! We only went 3-8 on the first two days, since those were lighter.

The Beaches were so good! I'd only sampled them earlier last week.

Yesterday we ended up catching way more sets than planned. Everyone on my list plus Save Ferris, White Reaper, and we caught the last half of Patti after all. Was the fullest riot day in 7 years of going!

Really, I'd travel to any of the Northern suburbs if there was something worth checking out. I'm up by BG
Yea, the north burbs is kind of a ghost town from a variety standpoint, it's mostly rock stuff I've found. Hip Cat Records is closest to me, but they don't have hip hop, mainly blues and rock. I haven't been to Vintage Vinyl or Algonquin Records, but I'd assume the same for those looking at their websites.

For hip hop, I'd head into the city into Wicker Park and hit up Reckless Records, Shuga, and Dusty Groove. I've been to Reckless, that's a pretty good one, they have good variety (you can look on their website).

Dusty Groove seems to have decent selections from their website too. Figured I'd have to hit the city for anything hip hop related. Just gotta figure out when to make those trips lol

New store just opened in my neck of the woods (Lincoln Square).

Interstellar Space is owned by a local DJ who went by vinyl.voyage on Instagram, now converted over to the shop's account.

The records at Interstellar are a mix of jazz and rock from the 1960s and 1970s, classic jazz from the 1950’s, and avant garde music from throughout the 20th century. The store will only have used records, not reissues of older records or new music.

(Sorry, @frodo-pkt. Not related to your hip hop query. Just felt this news was worth sharing.)

Dusty Groove seems to have decent selections from their website too. Figured I'd have to hit the city for anything hip hop related. Just gotta figure out when to make those trips lol
I feel you. I've got three young kids, so spending a few hours crate digging isn't a top priority for me.

I do want to do it at some point, was thinking of pinging some other area peeps to try and get a Chicago area N&G meetup together.

I feel you. I've got three young kids, so spending a few hours crate digging isn't a top priority for me.

I do want to do it at some point, was thinking of pinging some other area peeps to try and get a Chicago area N&G meetup together.
That'd be sweet. And yeah 2 young kids here so I know the pain.

Back