Cats / Dogs and vinyl

DownIsTheNewUp

Hey guys. Been collecting for a roughly a decade, and have had a shed free doggo for 2 years now.

While my turntable was out of commission over the past 3 months, I decided to bring a 8 month old kitten home. He is now nearly a year old. Sweet as can be, destructive as hell.

I knew cat hair was going to become a permanent battle while playing records, but watching my Humming Guru's drying process pull hair straight out of the air and glue it to freshly cleaned wax has been a solid reminder of that.

I have a new table landing in July and have a couple questions for fellow pet owners.

A) What do you do to combat pet hair when playing records.
B) What has been your approach to keep cats off your spinning turntable / your records.
C) Any interesting stories of causalities of war?

Attachments

• 20220608_122625.jpg
    20220608_122625.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20220606_195631_706.jpg
    IMG_20220606_195631_706.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 16
Hey guys. Been collecting for a roughly a decade, and have had a shed free doggo for 2 years now.

While my turntable was out of commission over the past 3 months, I decided to bring a 8 month old kitten home. He is now nearly a year old. Sweet as can be, destructive as hell.

I knew cat hair was going to become a permanent battle while playing records, but watching my Humming Guru's drying process pull hair straight out of the air and glue it to freshly cleaned wax has been a solid reminder of that.

I have a new table landing in July and have a couple questions for fellow pet owners.

B) What has been your approach to keep cats off your spinning turntable / your records.
For pet hair/dander, vacuum and clean carpets/furniture frequently, we use a Dyson pet vacuum and a carpet shampooer, dust, etc.

Protect your vinyl with proper inners and outers, access

Keep your music rooms locked up (no pet access) if it's problem.

Usually they get better with age. Give them plenty of other toys, window access to sun/sleep, a cat house to play etc and keep busy.

Last edited:
We have a cat that nom'd on a Tom Waits (one of the REs, nothing rare or special) spine as a kitten but grew out of it. I don't see my HG pulling much hair and we have 3 dogs/two cats. My dogs knocked down a floor standong speaker once but luckily we still had carpet and there was no damage. I haven't had any really expensive or permanent casualties.

If one of our cats tried to take a ride on my TT Id tie it in a sack and throw it in the river.

2nd some kind of pet vac or attachment to a vac. Also brush your pets regularly. That'll help combat the problem.

Cats do whatever they want, whenever they want. It's one of the reasons I love them, but it's also why we can't have nice things.

My two cats are pretty old and mellow, and I have a separate music room, so I can't really offer advice. I just wanted to say that your cat and dog look super cute.

our dog loves to listen to records with me. she sheds but we vacuum frequently and she isn't destructive with my equipment. Since we moved, she isn't crazy about my listening room set up, but that's mostly because she's blind and doesn't do steps well. But when we relax and listen downstairs, she loves it.

Cats do whatever they want, whenever they want. It's one of the reasons I love them, but it's also why we can't have nice things.

Ain't that the truth. I have two brand new couches that I got right after landing in Chicago (from LA) at the beginning of the year. They are currently drapped in so many blankets I feel like I'm living in a pillow fort.

These tips on lessening the hair problem are solid. Might also be time for a new vinyl brush.

I wish a seperate music room were an option but it definitely ain't. However, I think I might get the shock collar and detectors my dad uses to confine his cats to the back yard (coyote reasons) instead use it to protect the main record shelf and the TT.

Also' cat def loves to chew on record mailers so I'm gonna have to be careful bout leaving records around for now.

Might as be time for a new vinyl brush.

I wish a seperate music room were an option but it definitely ain't. However, I think I might get the shock collar and detectors my dad uses to confine his cats to the back yard (coyote reasons) instead use it to protect the main record shelf and the TT.
My vinyl brush is the THUNDERON from sleeve city, watch the video, it does what it shows

I am not sure how I feel about a shock collar for a cat though, maybe a squirt gun instead?

My vinyl brush is the THUNDERON from sleeve city, watch the video, it does what it shows

I am not sure how I feel about a shock collar for a cat though, maybe a squirt gun instead?

I have used a spray bottle. This cat does NOT care. His foster mom used to let him into the shower with her to play in the water.

I had the same reservations about the shock collar when my dad originally started using them. And am going to think on it.

But it's a very light shock and has allowed his cats to play outside for hours without risk of predators. It also took all of one shock for the more rambunctious of my parents cats to stop clawing at my mom's favorite chair when she wanted attention. They had tried water bottles, timeouts, ext before landing on that solution. And they are still as bonded to my folks (and friendly with strangers) as ever.

Last edited:

I put adhesive vinyl with the sticky side up on top of the dustcover when I'm not using the turntable. I've done this elsewhere where I don't want them to be and usually after jumping on it once, they learn to avoid it. I think they recognize the adhesive vinyl now and know to stay away, cause after them initially jumping on it once or twice around the house (you can see the paw prints on the adhesive), I haven't noticed them do it any more. It works like a force field against the cats. 🙂

I have a Dyson vacuum which I use frequently and haven't had an issue with hair. It is amazing how much hair the Dyson picks up from the carpet even though the carpet looks clean.

My OG cat bothers nothing In that area.
Almost a year ago, I gave my blessing to my wife and daughter to rescue a displaced cat that she fell in love with at the in-laws house in Utah. We were down to one cat and it was kind of nice. This new cat loves to climb. If he’s not sleeping under our bed, he’s above our cabinets that are above the fridge. Recently, I’ve noticed little fucking paw prints on my shelves and on top of the dust cover and amp. Fortunately for me and unfortunately for him, he was declawed by his previous owners. We also have a small dog, but the hair hasn’t been a huge factor in the living room. Fun Fact: none of them get along. 😁

I vacuum and light dust every couple of weeks. Once every 3-4 months I will take records out of each cube and give the cubes a good cleaning. If you’re using Kallax shelves, putting backing on them has made a huge difference in the accumulation of dust. I’m trying to be better about using the dust cover during listening. Cats are funny creatures. Maybe they’ll get bored of your records.

Back