Cartridge upgrade

gafacaode

Friends!

I've been thinking about an upgrade from Ortofon Blue to Bronze and would love some input.
I noticed a big improvement when I upgraded from Red to Blue, so I was wondering if the jump to Bronze would be worth it.

My setup is: Technics 1200 MK2 - Vincent Pho8 - Denon X2000 - Klipsch RP600M

Feel free to suggest other upgrades!

Thanks!

My wife would love if you guys said "nah, you're good, stay put with your current setup"

Friends!

I've been thinking about an upgrade from Ortofon Blue to Bronze and would love some input.
I noticed a big improvement when I upgraded from Red to Blue, so I was wondering if the jump to Bronze would be worth it.

My setup is: Technics 1200 MK2 - Vincent Pho8 - Denon X2000 - Klipsch RP600M

Feel free to suggest other upgrades!

Thanks!

My wife would love if you guys said "nah, you're good, stay put with your current setup"

The bronze actually natively uses a different cartridge to the red/blue. The Ort 2m range is split into red/blue sharing a cartridge and bronze/black sharing a cartridge. It will work on your cartridge because they are the same size but you won’t be able to extract the full potential of it.

The bronze/black are also cartridges that divide opinion. Some love them and some hate them finding them too detailed, tending to bright, and prone to be sensitive to surface noise.

The bronze actually natively uses a different cartridge to the red/blue. The Ort 2m range is split into red/blue sharing a cartridge and bronze/black sharing a cartridge. It will work on your cartridge because they are the same size but you won’t be able to extract the full potential of it.

The bronze/black are also cartridges that divide opinion. Some love them and some hate them finding them too detailed, tending to bright, and prone to be sensitive to surface noise.

Yeah, sorry I said stylus upgrade but I was looking at swapping cartridge/stylus.
That sensitivity to surface noise is worrying.

Yeah, sorry I said stylus upgrade but I was looking at swapping cartridge/stylus.

@Mather and @kvetcha are two that I think have had the bronze and liked it (I think @Mather has the black now) so they might be better placed to let you know.

although it’s in the same price bracket I am now much happier with the grado gold that I was with the 2m, I am intrigued by the nagaoka mp300/500 for the future and with your table wouldn’t discount the more advanced stylus profiles on the new AT MM cartridges.

Count me among the camp that hates the Bronze. It's very bright. I'd either stick with the Blue or get something other than an Ortofon.

If you insist on torturing yourself, buy from Thakker in Germany. You'll save a bunch over buying from a dealer in the US.

Count me among the camp that hates the Bronze. It's very bright. I'd either stick with the Blue or get something other than an Ortofon.

If you insist on torturing yourself, buy from Thakker in Germany. You'll save a bunch over buying from a dealer in the US.

What's your preference other than Ortofon?

@Mather and @kvetcha are two that I think have had the bronze and liked it (I think @Mather has the black now) so they might be better placed to let you know.

although it’s in the same price bracket I am now much happier with the grado gold that I was with the 2m, I am intrigued by the nagaoka mp300/500 for the future and with your table wouldn’t discount the more advanced stylus profiles on the new AT MM cartridges.
I'll take a look at the grado gold.

It’s a great cartridge but make sure to have a look at the grado hum spreadsheet too, make sure there isn’t an issue with your table.

Where's this spreadsheet from? it's very interesting. Also: line 284: technics SL1200MK2 no hum with the Grado Gold

EDIT: Do you think it sounds better than the Ortofon Blue?

Where's this spreadsheet from? it's very interesting. Also: line 284: technics SL1200MK2 no hum with the Grado Gold

EDIT: Do you think it sounds better than the Ortofon Blue?

Its from another forum, I just google for it, it was made up based on trial and error from users on there. I personally prefer the gold yes. I loved the blue on my old amp but when I upgraded I found it a bit bright for my tastes. The grado is warmer. It’s a little bit less detailed but I’m happy for the trade off there for a sound profile I much prefer.

To pose a slightly different question, I have a Uturn Orbit and an Ortofon 2M red. I have a year on it and am thinking of upgrading.

Does the 2M Blue make the most sense or going the Grado/Nagaoka route? Also, what's the point of diminishing returns given the table? Using a Vincent PHO 700 preamp with upgraded tube into a Onkyo receiver and Polk floor speakers. Thanks!

Ok, so I found a reasonably priced Grado Gold2 with a Brazilian vendor.
Looks like we may have a winner.
I'll join in with the folks who think you'll love it! I have no experience with Ortofons, but I noticed I spin more records with a Grado than with an MC cart I tried. That said, does your vendor have a generous return policy? Just because so many of us love it doesn't mean you will too!
To pose a slightly different question, I have a Uturn Orbit and an Ortofon 2M red. I have a year on it and am thinking of upgrading.

Does the 2M Blue make the most sense or going the Grado/Nagaoka route? Also, what's the point of diminishing returns given the table? Using a Vincent PHO 700 preamp with upgraded tube into a Onkyo receiver and Polk floor speakers. Thanks!
I found my U-Turn has taken me pretty far. I took the Grado path, and have enjoyed the Grado Black that came with it, an 8MZ stylus upgrade, and most recently, a Grado Gold. I also upgraded the phono preamp to something ridiculous that cost the same as two U-Turns. Still no thoughts of replacing the table. For a bit of hearsay, several people love the Ortofon Blue on the U-Turn.

The Grado Gold 2 is a nice topper on the U-Turn, when you wear the stylus out, replace it with the 8MZ and you'll be set ;)

Edit: To clarify a bit, I ran an Orbit with the Grado Gold, Pho 8 up until I picked up my UltraDeck and it was splendid :)
20170804_193003.jpg

Back