Cartridge Alignment

Another point- the Pioneer PLX-1000 aligns to Stevenson per the factory. The arm is long enough for other alignments, but the slots in the factory headshell are too short to allow them. Get a Jelco (or equivalent) headshell with longer slots and other alignments are possible.
Can confirm, Jelco head shell and Baerwald alignment sound great on the PLX.
Grado-Gold-v3.jpg

My apology if you've already mentioned this but what cartridge and phono section are you running?

Got the Dr. Feickert alignment protractor in and have realigned my cartridge to Loefgren B. I’m really happy with it.

Thoughts:

It’s made extremely well. You’ll never need another gauge. It’s built to last a lifetime. It’ll work on any turntable out there. Packaging is meant to last as well. The instructions are clear and concise and are in both German and English.

It’s easy to use. It comes with a small flashlight which comes in handy. The included flashiight is easier than using the flashlight in my phone.

From Barerwald overhang to Loefgren B is so close it’s not even funny. Less than 2mm. The cartridge is offset in the headshell a bit less than before. Does it sound better? A bit. Highs seem a bit smoother. Ambience seems improved. We aren’t talking night and day though, and I doubt I’d hear the difference on a less resolving system.

That said, I don’t regret my purchase at all. I’m a bit (ok a lot) OCD when it comes to properly setting up a turntable. Stuff like this can keep me awake at night. I’m not kidding.

So here’s where I tell you to run out and get one, right? Nope. If you’ve got a MoFi Geo Disc, you are good. Likewise the the gauges you can get from your turntable manufacturer, whether it be UTurn or VPI.

Still, recommended if you want to be 100% sure of your alignment, have multiple turntables, change cartridges often or install cartridges for others.

Nice cartridge! The rule of thumb for cartridge loading is 10X the cartridge's internal impedance with the Delos being 8.2 ohms so optimal loading with your StudioPhono would be either the 75 or 100 ohm settings. The lower of the two would give you a little smoother but slightly less dynamic presentation. 500 ohm loading would give you slightly more dynamics with a little higher output and more pronounced highs. You can use your cartridge loading as a sort of a tone control. My phono pre has remote controlled cartridge loading and the different settings can easily be heard although they are not hugely different from one another. Your observation that 100 ohm sounded raspier than the 500 setting goes against accepted norms but we all hear what we hear. That's a big part of the fun of our hobby!

Nice cartridge! The rule of thumb for cartridge loading is 10X the cartridge's internal impedance with the Delos being 8.2 ohms so optimal loading with your StudioPhono would be either the 75 or 100 ohm settings. The lower of the two would give you a little smoother but slightly less dynamic presentation. 500 ohm loading would give you slightly more dynamics with a little higher output and more pronounced highs. You can use your cartridge loading as a sort of a tone control. My phono pre has remote controlled cartridge loading and the different settings can easily be heard although they are not hugely different from one another. Your observation that 100 ohm sounded raspier than the 500 setting goes against accepted norms but we all hear what we hear. That's a big part of the fun of our hobby!
Cheers! My ears are odd hehe. I will try 75 as that is as low as my mofi studiophono can go.

I just spent an hour realigning and making sure it was good. Checked 3 times to be sure now.
Any odd sibilance that sounds spitty will be in the recording now.

How badly set up must a cart be to not be able to track correctly. And must the diamond land perfect on the overhang cross ? I was now perhaps off by as little as microns.

And do have a listen to the files i uploaded. Previous page :)

Last edited:
Reactions: OMC
Got the Dr. Feickert alignment protractor in and have realigned my cartridge to Loefgren B. I’m really happy with it.

Thoughts:

It’s made extremely well. You’ll never need another gauge. It’s built to last a lifetime. It’ll work on any turntable out there. Packaging is meant to last as well. The instructions are clear and concise and are in both German and English.

It’s easy to use. It comes with a small flashlight which comes in handy. The included flashiight is easier than using the flashlight in my phone.

From Barerwald overhang to Loefgren B is so close it’s not even funny. Less than 2mm. The cartridge is offset in the headshell a bit less than before. Does it sound better? A bit. Highs seem a bit smoother. Ambience seems improved. We aren’t talking night and day though, and I doubt I’d hear the difference on a less resolving system.

That said, I don’t regret my purchase at all. I’m a bit (ok a lot) OCD when it comes to properly setting up a turntable. Stuff like this can keep me awake at night. I’m not kidding.

So here’s where I tell you to run out and get one, right? Nope. If you’ve got a MoFi Geo Disc, you are good. Likewise the the gauges you can get from your turntable manufacturer, whether it be UTurn or VPI.

Still, recommended if you want to be 100% sure of your alignment, have multiple turntables, change cartridges often or install cartridges for others.
I have it myself. Its a great protactor!
Will it have anything to say if im less then 0,5mm off on the overhang? I kinda have a slight ocd too.

If someone can even tell .5mm by eye I’d be massively impressed!
But that’s why we use accurate protractors, not made of paper, with lots of natural light, magnifying glasses, patience and more light when aligning cartridges. .5mm can be the difference between sounding good and sounding magnificent. Just like an ultrasonic record cleaner can uncover more detail so can a really well aligned stylus. Cleaner records reveal details on a billionth of an inch scale. Imagine what .5mm can do.
Sorry if this sounds like a rant, don’t mean for it to be. I see/hear it as more of a crusade - one that I’ve been on for over 40 years with the hope of helping others get more bang for their $$. 👍

Thanks for the feedback! Got a slight hint of panick when i first listened to Battle For Evermore, and when Robert sings the sky is filled, it sounded a tad raspy the first time. But, if i apply som EQ to the needle-drop, it sounds clear.
I have no EQ for my TT, it goes strait from the Phono-pre to my headphone-amp.
Audiophile Purist Code of Conduct
Rule #1 - EQ can and should be used when necessary for optimum musical enjoyment
Rule #2 - Never admit to ever using EQ

I feel exactly the same way. I've only used my Feickert protractor twice in 2 years and I still say it's money well spent. Nothing beats knowing your setup is dead-on for peace of mind.

I feel exactly the same way. I've only used my Feickert protractor twice in 2 years and I still say it's money well spent. Nothing beats knowing your setup is dead-on for peace of mind.
Its an evil circle for sure. Like what happened to me, bought a 2020 release of LZ IV - where did that odd sounding sibilance come from? Back to recheck setup.. spent an hour on it. I was off slightly on the overhang, but thats it. I readjusted abit, and doublechecked to be sure.

I mean, i can do so much with setup, and keep on checking - but to what end? Just have to accept that there are instances where it's in the recording istelf.

Anyone ever tried the DB Systems DBP-10 alignment protractor? It’s been around for decades but is not as popular as the Geo Disc.

So uh. Anyone else here crazy enough to poke at that VinylEngine calculator until they have their own NEW ALIGNMENT SCHEME?? I couldn't be bothered to do the math™️, but my understanding is that the main two methods don't take into account that the stylus obviously doesn't get any thinner as it moves towards the center of the record, so you want the amount of distortion to roughly decrease by like half as you move from the edge to the label. At the same time, most records, especially these days, don't cut all the way to the label, and if they do it should be a quiet song, so you can have it race off as you get REALLY close to the label. Basically just poked at the calculator until I thought it fit and I don't know if it's much of a breakthrough but I like the results I've been getting. Yellow line in the image below.

Screenshot_20230317_123639.png

Back