Cart upgrade for stock LP120... Nagaoka vs Ortofon ?

roffle24

Hey friends... I've been thinking about upgrading my AT LP-120's cartridge since it's still running the stock cartridge and would like some thoughts on what to buy.

I've been debating between the Nagaoka MP-110 and the Orotofon Red/Blue and wanted some opinions on if it's worth it to upgrade and which one is best for my fairly basic setup.

I have the LP-120 plugged into some Kanto Yu4 powered speakers. Simple setup for the time being as it was my first turntable ever. I'm using the phono amp built into the Kanto's as it sounds better than the LP120's built in one.

I've never mounted a cart to a headshell or aligned it before as the LP-120 came pre-aligned so that's the only reason I'm considering the headshell options.

LP Gear has them currently listed at these prices... would love to hear some opinions on what to buy. I listen to mostly Hip Hop and Jazz/VMP Classics. These seem to be the more popular carts, but if you have other suggestions please recommend them.

Cart only
Ortofon Red - $99
MP-110 - $129
Ortofon Blue - $209

Cart and Headshell
Ortofon Red - $147
MP-110 - $178
Ortofon Blue - $259

Hey friends... I've been thinking about upgrading my AT LP-120's cartridge since it's still running the stock cartridge and would like some thoughts on what to buy.

I've been debating between the Nagaoka MP-110 and the Orotofon Red/Blue and wanted some opinions on if it's worth it to upgrade and which one is best for my fairly basic setup.

I have the LP-120 plugged into some Kanto Yu4 powered speakers. Simple setup for the time being as it was my first turntable ever. I'm using the phono amp built into the Kanto's as it sounds better than the LP120's built in one.

I've never mounted a cart to a headshell or aligned it before as the LP-120 came pre-aligned so that's the only reason I'm considering the headshell options.

LP Gear has them currently listed at these prices... would love to hear some opinions on what to buy. I listen to mostly Hip Hop and Jazz/VMP Classics. These seem to be the more popular carts, but if you have other suggestions please recommend them.

Cart only
Ortofon Red - $99
MP-110 - $129
Ortofon Blue - $209

Cart and Headshell
Ortofon Red - $147
MP-110 - $178
Ortofon Blue - $259
Not to add to the list, lol, but I would still consider a Grado Gold v2, but also the AT VM95ML, got this on my PLX 1000 and it sounds great so far, only 10 hours in so it's still warming up. All that being said, check out Record Player Needles, Cartridges, Belts & Accessories they still have their BF/CM sale going for the next 7 hours, code "2019thanks".......i don't think it's valid on the carts/stylus, but it is on the head shell. The Jelco is $50 and I believe they have free shipping as well ;)

No input on carts but with the necessary tools being inexpensive you may consider mounting and aligning the cart yourself. A few days ago I did this myself for the first time, I was hesitant to do so but knew it was best for me in my situation to do it myself as it will lead to more enjoyment in the future. If you don’t want to I totally get it. I would add that I recently asked for cart suggestions that are “forgiving” when it comes to surface noise and was suggested the above carts as @AnthonyI just did but was guided away from Ortofon based on that one specific criteria for what it’s worth. Whatever your decision good luck and have fun.

I'll chime in with a recommendation to get just the cart. There's no guarantee the cart+headshell wound be properly aligned for your turntable, so you would need to align it anyway. I know the alignment procedure sounds scary the first time, but it's surprisingly easy as long as you're not too drunk! We have many people who will be glad to help you the first time or 5.

I like the sound of my buddy’s Nagoka MP-110 and I really like my Shure m97xE (might have to find a used one). I’ve heard good things about the VM95ML too. I honestly don’t think you can go wrong with any of the ones you suggested though.

I would try to mount it yourself too. It’s quite simple if you have some patience and a relatively steady hand! Use the Technics overhang gauge in order to get the correct overhang too.

Skip the headshell. You own a table, changing the cart is part of the deal :) It’s super not-hard and you’ll learn how to align your cart for the future, which will come in handy. Spend ten bucks and get yourself a force gauge while you’re at it.

My vote is for either the Nagaoka or AT upgrade, probably leaning more toward the AT.

I've had a Nagaoka MP-110 for nearly a year now and have no complaints. I was considering the Ortofon's as well as others mentioned and arrived at the Nagaoka being the beat bang for the buck after combing through an insane amount of reviews and comparisons. I think mounting it yourself is a good call as well. It's what I did and the tools are expensive and it is pretty simple after watching a how to video. You could probably find a better deal on one than $129-178 though. I got mine with the headshell for somewhere around $120.

@roffle24 I've got an LP 120 for my bedroom system and I've got an AT120Eb cartridge on it that sounds great. It was an upgrade from the stock cartridge and it made a big difference - better tracking and more forgiving of surface noise. I recommend it.
Not to add to the list, lol, but I would still consider a Grado Gold v2
I've got a Grado Gold2 cartridge on my main turntable - an HK T65C - and I love it. I'm pretty sure it'll hum on the LP120 table though due to the placement of the motor - Grado carts are unshielded.

I think you'd be fine with an AT cart in the $100-150 range tops and you'd notice and appreciate the improved sound. I'd say anything more is overkill given the table and the preamp you're using.

All I can say is I have had all three of these and the Nagaoka MP-110 for my personal tastes is leaps and bounds ahead of them both. The price to this day still blows my mind how affordable it is compared to the performance. I don't like using pompous terms like musical and dynamic because it only means I like the way it sounds, but I really love the sound.

I had an Ortofon Red and noticed a big difference when I upgraded to the Blue one. I've used it for a little over 2 years and this week I replaced it with a Grado Gold 2. I'm very, very impressed, after proper alignment and weight adjustment (thanks @HiFi Guy and @Joe Mac !) it sounds amazing, warm and very detailed.
Check out this spreadsheet for the hum on Grado (again, thanks @Joe Mac!): Grado hum
No hum on my Technics SL1200 MK2.

I had an Ortofon Red and noticed a big difference when I upgraded to the Blue one. I've used it for a little over 2 years and this week I replaced it with a Grado Gold 2. I'm very, very impressed, after proper alignment and weight adjustment (thanks @HiFi Guy and @Joe Mac !) it sounds amazing, warm and very detailed.
Check out this spreadsheet for the hum on Grado (again, thanks @Joe Mac!): Grado hum
No hum on my Technics SL1200 MK2.

The next plan here once 1000 hours is on it (takes me about a year normally so will be this may) is to upgrade the stylus to the 8mz. I’m really looking forward to hearing this get better!

You could probably find a better deal on one than $129-178 though. I got mine with the headshell for somewhere around $120.

Any suggestions as to where to find this cheaper? Everywhere I'm seeing it listed at the same $130 price for just the cart. $120 for the cart + headshell and I'm sold.

Also thanks for all the replies from everyone! I'll try the route of mounting it myself, but may buy a headshell anyway as the standard LP120 is kinda plain jane. I'd also like to be able to swap the headshells out easily to hear the difference in quality.

Currently leaning toward the MP-110 which was where I was originally leaning, but I'm gonna do some research on the AT carts as well as they seem to be a bit under-rated from what I've seen.

Any suggestions as to where to find this cheaper? Everywhere I'm seeing it listed at the same $130 price for just the cart. $120 for the cart + headshell and I'm sold.
I can't find it anywhere for what I paid either. Seems like the prices you quoted are standard now? Or maybe I caught a deal at the time, I don't know. Best I can see is $125 with free shipping on Ebay.

I can't find it anywhere for what I paid either. Seems like the prices you quoted are standard now? Or maybe I caught a deal at the time, I don't know. Best I can see is $125 with free shipping on Ebay.

The prices for the Nagaoka MP-110's have gone up I noticed, When I bought mine I bought it at $125 for the MP-110H, but to be honest even at this price point it is still a remarkable deal. It is just a shame that this hobby continues to see price increases because of popularity.

AT VM95ML,

Second that recommendation in this price range. Owning both the MP-110 and the above mentioned VM95ML I can say that the latter blows the Nagaoka out of the water. In a subjective listen for tone both aren’t too far off from each other, neutralish with good bass, but the AT easily beats the Nag is HF reproducing and tracking. The dirty secret of the Nagaoka is that it’s not a particularly adept tracker with its large bonded elliptical which is closer to the standard $40 95e than the nude MicroLine of the 95ML. Certain YouTube reviews will hype the MP-110 up as smooth and IGD free but this is not my experience at all, as its poor tracking of inner grooves and hot cuts makes for a grainy experience. The 95ML is a much smoother tracking cart and tonally and metrically flat into standard phono stages.

I’ve been evangelizing this cart for a while and I’m starting to sound like a Stan, but it’s really a great deal for the money, and the happiest I’ve ever been sub $200.

As for headshells I might recommend not investing too much in them with the tonearm if that table likely being a bigger bottleneck. I’d say it might be mkre important to manage mass to get the resonance where you want it.

Back