Canadaland shipping shenanigans (and other conversations too, eh?)

avecigrec

A place for canuckleheads to discuss the good, the bad and the ugly when it comes to incoming and outbound shipping - domestic and international.

• Tips and tricks
  • Merchants who do it well
  • Merchants to avoid
  • Free shipping thresholds
  • etc.

We discuss these things often throughout the threads, it seems like maybe a worthwhile endeavor to have a quick-reference repository, so let's make this it!

Got family stuff on the go presently, but I intend to post some more in-depth notes later.

In particular, I'm really hoping to build a great list of places with free shipping thresholds and what those thresholds are. I'll do my best to update the list as people post with shop name and threshold, and hopefully in our posts we can add thoughts on pricing, selection, etc.

I'd also like to make a list of international places with "reasonable" rates as well.

Looking forward to this.

First up from me is Juno.

Captainfog hipped me to Juno when I was wanting Khalab & M'Berra Ensemble's M'berra a couple of years back. Everywhere I'd looked was cost-prohibitive to get it to Canada, but Juno wasn't!

Shipping for a single LP runs $10 and change; $14.50 for 2LP - as I'm sure you're already well aware, this is less than shipping within Canada!

The site allows you to set your browsing directly to CAD, which is great for me because I'd rather not have to continuously convert costs.

As far as their pricing goes: some items are insanely cheap while conversely, some items are insanely overpriced. They definitely aren't a go-to for everything, but they have a great selection, and on more than a few occasions I've gotten things from them that have been cheaper with shipping than I've found them for pre-shipping anywhere else.

Juno's packaging is... okay. Their cardboard seems a bit softer than most others, and their single LP mailers, in particular, seem quite thin (hilariously, at the opposite end of the spectrum, the one box set I ever ordered from them was packaged like a tank!) Personally, I've had very few issues beyond an occasional corner ding, which bothers me less than some folks so YMMV.

Only once have I received a record from them with significant warp and when I emailed them with a video they promptly sent a replacement copy without asking for the defective one in return. I've contacted CS on one or two other occasions with minor questions and the response has always been quick and helpful.

They also have a great interface as far as setting watchlists to receive notifications for labels and artists when stock comes in. You can also set notifications for price drops as well, in case anything goes on sale.

They very seldom do discount codes, and when they do they're pretty minimal for one-time use - but all in all, I've been really pleased with these cats and the many orders I've made with them over the past 2+ years.

I have the Bettie Serveert reissue enroute direct from Matador but looks like a USPS/CP hand off so I should safe.

Been a while since I ordered from Juno but still amazed how cheap their shipping to Canada. Same with JPC.

Yeah no tracking on Juno but they are reliable and good with damages if they happen. I used to be able to get under the DHL duty threshold with Ella in Japan by asking them to only claim like $20 but that's not working any longer and I'm getting hit every time now with brokerage fees and duty.

I've got a two album Juno order incoming that could get hit. But I doubt it. It'll be handed off to CP so will likely be fine. They're lazy with duty.

My largest Juno order last year was 5 albums (one of which was 2LP) valued at just under $200 CAD and I had no issues with duties or fees.

Back