Budget Deck Recommendation For A Friend

Captainfog

Admaxistrator
Admin
Hey Hive Mind

My friend said he girlfriend wants to get a record player and start losing all her money to this ridiculous hobby and asked me for a recommendation for a starter turntable.

Budget was a £100 but I've already said, save for longer and spend more because it'll make a big difference. So let's double the budget. For £200 what should she be looking at?

Don’t know about the quality of any of them, but Richer Sounds has a Sony one for £220, and the cheapest Pro-Ject for about £180. Lots of the Audio Technica ones as well.

Don’t know about the quality of any of them, but Richer Sounds has a Sony one for £220, and the cheapest Pro-Ject for about £180. Lots of the Audio Technica ones as well.

Ah yeah audio technica is probably a good place for her to start

I’m sure some of them will have built in phono stages as well, assuming she doesn’t already have one. The Sony has Bluetooth.

No, don't think they have anything, just checked and they don't even have any speakers 🤦‍♂️

No, don't think they have anything, just checked and they don't even have any speakers 🤦‍♂️

Looks like you can get some bundles in richer for about 200/250. That's probably her best starting point, I reckon.

Hey Hive Mind

My friend said he girlfriend wants to get a record player and start losing all her money to this ridiculous hobby and asked me for a recommendation for a starter turntable.

Budget was a £100 but I've already said, save for longer and spend more because it'll make a big difference. So let's double the budget. For £200 what should she be looking at?
Can't remember what side of the pond your on, but the Fluance RT-81 would be a good starter as well, and a little more robust than the other options.

Another idea, Have them hit the charity and thrift shops, sometimes local records shops, yard/garage (car boot) sales and see if they spot anything used. Local Craigslist and FB marketplace as well. The usual names like Technics, Pioneer, NAD, are usually a good bet. And test them first. Tell them to avoid anything like a cheap Crosley and similiar.

Last edited:
Back