Black Rebel Motorcycle Club Starting Point ?

Last edited:
I very much want Devil's Tattoo on vinyl and I find it so odd that their pressings are so sporadic. You can easily get their debut and they're most recent two but the lions share of their output is completely impossible, I cannot fathom why none of the middle albums have had proper represses.

Mather if you’re still looking for this it got a UK & Ire only release for Love Record Store Day. Don’t know if it’s too pricy, €29.99 plus shipping (it’s usually €10 to send stateside and they pack like a tank) from my local.

I was considering buying a copy myself and was looking for opinions and found your post lol. I loved their first two albums but sorta managed to miss everything afterwards!

Mather if you’re still looking for this it got a UK & Ire only release for Love Record Store Day. Don’t know if it’s too pricy, €29.99 plus shipping (it’s usually €10 to send stateside and they pack like a tank) from my local.

I was considering buying a copy myself and was looking for opinions and found your post lol. I loved their first two albums but sorta managed to miss everything afterwards!

Definitely check out Baby 81 if you get the chance. It's their most anthemic album by a mile.

Definitely check out Baby 81 if you get the chance. It's their most anthemic album by a mile.

I will do! You would pick one of the two, with Howl, that seem completely unavailable in Europe on vinyl to recommend 😂

I’m hoping to pick up the MOVs of their first two in the next few weeks. I’m getting a lot cravings to have those two and as much of The Coral as I can source on vinyl right now!

I will do! You would pick one of the two, with Howl, that seem completely unavailable in Europe on vinyl to recommend 😂

I’m hoping to pick up the MOVs of their first two in the next few weeks.
The one thing I will say is that IN MY EXPERIENCE their recordings are not particularly dynamic. It's more of the kinda late 90s/aughts digital mastering where everything is kinda, flat. I have the debut and it's great and clean but it's really not very dynamic. And I've streamed high res of the later albums and it's kinda more of the same. So I wouldn't pay too much if you're buying any of them. Baby 81 was also repressed recently.

The one thing I will say is that IN MY EXPERIENCE their recordings are not particularly dynamic. It's more of the kinda late 90s/aughts digital mastering where everything is kinda, flat. I have the debut and it's great and clean but it's really not very dynamic. And I've streamed high res of the later albums and it's kinda more of the same. So I wouldn't pay too much if you're buying any of them. Baby 81 was also repressed recently.

Yeah I expected that to be honest. They are what they are recording wise and they’re never going to sound like a classic recording. That said I like the tunes and I’d like to be able to spin them. I think I can get them for €25-30 each so kinda on/slightly above par for 1LP but there are less and less of them showing in stores at the moment so it’s probably as well to just jump before they disappear.

I’m hoping to pick up the MOVs of their first two in the next few weeks. I’m getting a lot cravings to have those two and as much of The Coral as I can source on vinyl right now!

I saw both Baby 81 and Howl at Amoeba today. It's funny that they are hard to get in Europe, I always had the impression they were bigger over there.

I saw both Baby 81 and Howl at Amoeba today. It's funny that they are hard to get in Europe, I always had the impression they were bigger over there.

Their first two were huge in the UK but they tailed off a bit after that. A bit of digging found them on jpc and somewhere else but they are imported US pressings and it’s €40+ for each of them!

I got into them a million years ago when someone on a music sharing community I was part of on livejournal* posted a mix zip to burn onto CD. Howl is still my favorite but as everyone else said, everything is very listenable (assuming you like the sound). It's very much in the milieu of AC/DC or The Ramones -- they stay in their lane and they're not breaking new ground, but if you like what they do, they are very good and it and you're gonna have A Fun Time. Honestly the spotify "this is" playlist is solid IMO. The only song I'd point out that I know you won't find on spotify is this lovely Dylan cover from a KEXP gig:

*I said it was a million years ago

If anyone happens to be interested in the 25th anniversary editions of Devil's Tattoo, Specter, and Creatures, check out the post/poll in the Paladin Buyer Club thread in the Misc/Members Only section.

Back