Black Rebel Motorcycle Club Starting Point ?

New to this band but really live what I have heard. What is the best place to start ?

@Mather
Haha they're great however most of their albums are near impossible to get on vinyl for some reason. It's strange they don't have more pressings. Their debut album is probably their most popular, it's pretty straight up rock and roll and there's fairly easily available MOV pressings of it. However I will say they are very much of the "this vinyl sounds like a CD" era of mastering. At least that album is. After that one I like "Baby 81" and "Beat The Devil's Tattoo". Howl is fun too although it's almost a concept album, it's mostly acoustic guitars. I'd say those are pretty firmly the best of their albums. But they all have at least a few really good tracks on them.

Haha they're great however most of their albums are near impossible to get on vinyl for some reason. It's strange they don't have more pressings. Their debut album is probably their most popular, it's pretty straight up rock and roll and there's fairly easily available MOV pressings of it. However I will say they are very much of the "this vinyl sounds like a CD" era of mastering. At least that album is. After that one I like "Baby 81" and "Beat The Devil's Tattoo". Howl is fun too although it's almost a concept album, it's mostly acoustic guitars. I'd say those are pretty firmly the best of their albums. But they all have at least a few really good tracks on them.
it doesn’t seem to be that popular of an opinion but Baby 81 is my favorite. Such a perfect rock record.

I dont mind digital in most cases (whether streaming or flac) as you know so maybe this is a band thats best for that minus there first ? Any opinion on Howl which has the highest online reviews ?

I dont mind digital in most cases (whether streaming or flac) as you know so maybe this is a band thats best for that minus there first ? Any opinion on Howl which has the highest online reviews ?
Howl is good but it's different, it's mostly acoustic guitar, some good tracks but almost a concept record.

That's actually a cover of the singers father's band. His dad was the lead singer for the band The Call. I like that album better than the newest one. But all their albums are very listenable if you dig their sound.
Michael Been was also BRMCs soundman. He actually passed away very unexpectedly while out on tour with them.

Last edited:
That's actually a cover of the singers father's band. His dad was the lead singer for the band The Call. I like that album better than the newest one. But all their albums are very listenable if you dig their sound.
Also, I will stand a recommendation for that record by his dad (The Call: Let the Day Begin) Very if the time....it's even got a little Harry Dean Stanton -- and the baseline on the title cut is great.

They're all good records and fairly varied in their own ways. No one mentioned Take Them On, On Your Own so I'll throw that one out there.

Also a fun live band. Go if you ever have a chance...

I saw them on their debut album tour and they killed it, so good live.

the good news is I can stream most their albums to start. I have put B.R.M.C and Specter (end of Jan repress) Lp's on my want list and ordered a Devils Tattoo T shirt.

the good new is I can stream most their albums to start. I have put B.R.M.C and Specter (end of Jan repress) on my want list and ordered a Devils Tattoo T shirt.
I very much want Devil's Tattoo on vinyl and I find it so odd that their pressings are so sporadic. You can easily get their debut and they're most recent two but the lions share of their output is completely impossible, I cannot fathom why none of the middle albums have had proper represses.

Just looking and it appears there was some sort of Baby 81 repress this year but I can't find any in the wild except for a couple of overpriced copies from Amazon. And aside from cogs I can't even find store listings that anyone had it. Very odd.

Just looking and it appears there was some sort of Baby 81 repress this year but I can't find any in the wild except for a couple of overpriced copies from Amazon. And aside from cogs I can't even find store listings that anyone had it. Very odd.

I have this repress, someone is selling it for 35.99 on Discogs

I have this repress, someone is selling it for 35.99 on Discogs
Yeah not available in Canada and the cheapest other copies would be $80+ after shipping, naw... Just don't get why these releases seem so limited every time

Back