Bjork Thread

You and I are pretty much on the same page here.

1. Homogenic
2a. Post
2b. Telegram
3. Debut
4. Vespertine
5. Selmasongs
6. Utopia

I sadly haven't listened to the others

@jaycee! Welcome back! Long time no see! How are you doing?

Yeah my top 5 or 6 are definitely the ones I’ve listened to the most. I wasn’t as keen on the others the few times I’ve listened to them but maybe I need to given them a bit more time!

I gotta ask: what is the deal with the inferior version of "All is Full of Love" on streaming services' version of Homogenic? That song is incredible but this version just totally castrates its power.

AFAIK, the original "All is full of love" is the one on the video. But then she listened to the remix by Howie B and she decided to put that one on the album instead of the original one. (Something similar happened with "Immature"). I don't know, I guess she just thought it was nicer to end the album with that ethereal, almost ambient version, specially after the noisy marvel that it's "Pluto".

I would like to share this kickass version of "Oceania".
This makes me think that she needs to make an album in Icelandic and with only piano. She can call Nico Muhly, I think he's the one who made this arrangement.

Not only the arrangement, but the playing itself is fantastic. I can never get enough of grand flashy styled piano playing. I haven't heard her sing much in Icelandic, I would have thought she would sound more fluid, but a lot of her intoning here sounds like how she speaks English too. I guess its not a very fluid language in general haha.

Not only the arrangement, but the playing itself is fantastic. I can never get enough of grand flashy styled piano playing. I haven't heard her sing much in Icelandic, I would have thought she would sound more fluid, but a lot of her intoning here sounds like how she speaks English too. I guess its not a very fluid language in general haha.

Well, I talk very little Icelandic and definitely no, it's not a fluid language. It's full of plosives sounds, the R sounds stronger than in Spanish, and it's full of weird combinations of consonants. When they make it sound fluid, it seems like they're just skipping whole syllables.

So I figured this would be the place to ask, where should I start with Bjork?

I see homogenic and Post usually called her best but would they be the spot to jump in, especially given her weirdness (for lack of a better term)

I see homogenic and Post usually called her best but would they be the spot to jump in, especially given her weirdness (for lack of a better term)

I don't think you can go wrong with any of her first three Debut, Post, or Homogenic. For me Debut was the perfect entry point.

There is a certain part me that always thinks hearing a discography in order is the best way. There are certain artists ,and I think Björk is certainly one, where I think it is essential.

Yeah I concur. I’d start at the start. I don’t think there’s is anything weird in her first four and there’s a definite progression from one to the next.

Back